Letter to M. Night

Tools    

(I wrote this almost right after seeing and discussing the movie)

Dear Mr. Shyamalan,

Mr. Shyamalon, I have a bone to pick with you.

I understand that you have created some amazing films in the past. The Sixth Sense used to scare the living daylights out of me and Unbreakable is incredibly filmed(if not as critically claimed as The Sixth Sense or Signs). That is where the praise stops, sadly.

You, good sir, have created an abomination that not only spits in the face of an incredible show and its fans, but that of the entire film making industry.

Before we start, I do have one question for you Mr. Shyamalon. Did you ever watch the show? This might seem odd, seeing to as how you were the writer, director and producer of the film but as a fan I could not help but notice some teensy tiny, itty bitty differences between the show and the movie.

Creative license you say! Only two hours to create the magical world of Avatar: The Last Airbender you protest! It is impossible to create such a movie and still have it have a flowing, smooth storyline! Au contraire Mr. Shyamalan! Just look at the Harry Potter movies. Or Narnia films. Or the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Or how about almost any other film set in a world of fantasy or magic. Do those directors also have only about two hours to create a universe that is not only mystical but also somewhat believable? Yes, some flop and also become laughing stocks of the cinematic world, but many if not most create a world that is both interesting AND entertaining.

But The Last Airbender was interesting AND entertaining, you claim. There are beautiful landscapes, dramatic fight scenes, character development, moments of drama and tension and a musical score to bring is all together!

Musical score aside- I did rather enjoy the music. Being able to close your eyes during a movie and STILL enjoy your favorite part of the film should NOT be okay-you are sadly, sadly mistaken Mr. Shyamalon. Here, let me take your hand and lead you (as you so metaphorically did with your wonky, austere plot that is literally told to the audience) through the movie and all your irreparable mistakes.

1)As you have probably noticed by now, I have misspelled your name a number of times throughout the beginning of this letter. What does this make me appear to be? Dumb? Rude? Like I did not do enough research to actually spell your name right? Welcome to the Avatar-fans' world, Mr. Shyamalan. I, and many like me, went into the film knowing there were going to be some changes to the world we know and love. What we did not expect is to have three out of the five main characters' names changed. Only a syllable difference you say. Creative license. We wanted the film to have a different feel from the show! You could have changed the costuming Mr. Shyamalan, and THAT would have given the movie a different feel from the show. By saying the names incorrectly, you not only make yourself look deficient as a writer/producer/director, but you had almost every Avatar fan cringing as their beloved characters' names were butchered on screen. Over and over and over again. As a side note, please tell all your movie land friends this. POST PRODUCTION 3D EFFECTS ARE USELESS! Stop charging me extra money so I that literally three minutes of the movie can be in 3D. If you want to add 3D then take the time during the film to add scenes where it can be used properly. Stop just throwing it in willy-nilly so you can add the words "Now in 3D" at the bottom of the commercials. Fans aren't stupid, we know when we are being ripped off.

2)Now this is a testy subject, but it is one that needs to be addressed. Why, dear Mr. Shyamalan, did you change all of the races of the cast? You switched almost every color and creed to fit what you wanted. And, might I add, why did you add only about five Chinese/Japanese/Korean(their nationality are unknown) characters to the whole movie but made the ENTIRE FIRE NATION Indian-Asian? Although I am not one to pull the race card, you, much like the Fire Nation, seem to have some superiority issues. With this, there is one redeeming factor. The show Avatar did not showcase any black people. You did add some to the cast which I felt was both appropriate and fair. Namely, Monk Gyasto who seemed to retain many of his old traits. This cannot be said to 95% of the cast.

3) Although The Last Airbender is supposed to be an action film, most of the action is slow and repetitive. Mr.Shyamalan, no one should have to watch twenty seconds of martial arts moves to see see one ball of water be formed. The fight scenes were dull and lifeless and the bending was minimal at best. The fighting(much like the plot line) lacked flow and the battles seemed some contrived and pointless. But people LIKE to see martial arts performed, you say. And the bending styles are based off of different styles, which we wanted to show case. Sadly, Mr. Shyamalan, you missed your mark. Instead of show casing the forms and styles related to bending the elements, you made them lifeless and dull. No one wants to see a Bruce Lee film where all the characters do is swing their fist and legs into the air to show how incredible they are at their particular form. Also, might I point out, Mr. Shyamalan, that whenever a really exciting or innovative bending move was about to be implemented on a fighter's enemies, they fall back. Every move that actually caught people's attention were just for show and did not do the fighters any good. What was the point of Iroh bending fire through his arms if all it was for was intimidation? (We will not go into the fact that Fire Benders cannot create fire, that would take an entire letter unto itself.)

4) This is the finale and most horrendous crime you have committed to the Avatar universe. In this series, the essence of a person is often shown through their bending element or fighting prowess. Aang is relaxing and easy going like a light summer breeze, but can be as powerful and brutal as hurricane winds. Katara is healing and can see many ways around an obstacle like a brook or river but can push and destroy like flood water. Zuko is powerful and angry like a burning inferno but can control his heat to create a kettle of tea for his uncle. With each bender, nay, with each PERSON there is more than one side. Even in the first season, there is an understanding that there is more than meets the eye. And that is where you failed so horribly as the writer/producer/director of this film. You lost all character development. All the interactions that define them were gone. What was left was empty shells, speaking lines on a screen and showing no heart or emotion. Aang was not the easy going fun Air Nomad, Sokka not the sarcasm and plan guy, Katara(when she even spoke) only seemed to be able to spew out plot points and never seemed to make any connection with Aang-a major problem considering she is his love interest. Too difficult you affirm! There is no way to give that much detail to any character in the span of one movie! But I ask you, Mr. Shyamalan, did not the creators of Avatar do it within one or two episodes? Did they not create a world of wonder and incredibility in just the pilot? You, with millions of dollars, and a show to base your entire script on surely could have done better than the make-shift, amateur movie that you presented the general public with.

All in all Mr. Shyamalan, this movie was terrible. A simple letter saying "**** You" could have sufficed and would have summed up my feelings about this colossal failure of a movie but much like the time and money I wasted on watching it, I wanted to take away some of your time as a writer/producer/director in the hopes that you might lose interest in ever making another Avatar movie. Ever.

I would try to place a curse upon you, saying that every movie you will make from now on will be a failure, but if you keep writing/producing/directing movies in the fashion you have made this one, then that curse would not be needed, because they will all bomb anyways.

Sincerely,

Abyss

here's a letter to Abyss..

Dear Abyss

I am no fan of M. Night.. But i have seen the show you praise so much of.. But I disagree the movie was no abomination.. it was okay!... It wasn't half bad..
I can understand why you fans are complaining... No whiny kids right?...
All I can see is Whiny Kids in the TV show, Whining!! whining!! whining!!.. & not to forget the cheap imitations of anime expressions...

All in all still a good TV show.. for pre-teens to drool over...
maybe you'd like Michael Bay to adapt this with Justin Beaver..

Sincerely
Uncle Genesis Pig

Semper Fooey
The fans of that show sure hate that movie. I didn't see it or plan to, but I'm not surprised the fight scenes were slow. Has there ever been a filmmaker more miscast as an action director?

The movie isn't half bad.. far better than Transformers 2 IMO..
But noone will agree with me here..

Coz the fans of this show are mostly kids..& they have no idea how cool the original Transformers show was..

BTW Will.. w

Actually Genesis_Pig, I am not a preteen kid nor do I think that Avatar is without it's flaws. What I didn't appreciate with the movie was the loss of life from the show.

You say that no one seems to agree with you. Maybe there's a reason for that. Also, of course they're kinda whiney. They're kids! If they didn't complain or whine a little, then they would be totally flat and unrealistic. (Or as unrealistic you can get in a world where people can bend the elements)

Please stop categorizing the people who like Avatar. That is rude and unfair for all the people who love it. (and I don't just like it to 'drool over'. Myself, and all my friends who enjoy it, like the smooth animation, the character development and the allusion to spiritual figures like Buddha.)

Funny though how you can't stand up for the movie more. "It's okay and not half bad" shouldn't describe a movie that was meant to entertain, thrill and inspire.

You are just attacking the director... See all the recent threads all you fans are doing is attack the director's rep.. I think Shyamalan did a far better job than Bay in adapting a kiddie concept.

But you won't complain about The Transformers movies coz they had fast paced action..

& the reason why I', categorizing people like you is coz of this statement..
I would try to place a curse upon you, saying that every movie you will make from now on will be a failure, but if you keep writing/producing/directing movies in the fashion you have made this one, then that curse would not be needed, because they will all bomb anyways.
this proves you are another of those whiney kids.

Look at his last films. Ever since Signs, his movies have gotten more wonky and difficult to follow. And the reason I am attacking him is because he did not just take on the role of director. He was the director, the writer AND the producer of the film. He took on all the roles so he takes the downfall.

Also, how old are you to decide who is a whiney kid and who is not? And why are you on a forum about M Night when you do not even like his work? Are you that upset that people didn't like a film you "was not half bad"? Or are you just trolling to pick a fight with a nameless stranger over the internet hoping to elevate your inadequate self esteem?

I never watched Transformers as a kid so I cannot make an accurate analysis of how he adapted it. And even if I did I wouldn't criticize it. It was entertaining. That's what movies are about! As a kid, wasn't what you loved about the show the fact that the good guys beat Megatron ass and saved the day on a constant basis?

Honestly genesis, you confuse me. If you really hate these "whiney kids" then don't watch the show and get off of the forums.

Did I say I don't like Night's work??.. where did I say that, please point out..

Transformers show didn't have the US army saving Autobots butts every now & then.. The main concept of Transformers cartoons was that they managed to save the world remaining in disguise most of the time.. The movies show the US army coming to the rescue of the Autobots..
If you thought the cartoons was all about good guys beating megaton's ass & saving the day... Then you shouldn't even criticize Last Airbender.

Take the scene where Aang finds out he is the last of the Airbenders, that scene is far better in the movie than in the cartoon...

Atleast M Night kept most of the spirit of the show alive through out the film.. Just because he is a producer doesn't mean he can execute the film in every way he did.. Obviously he has had studio pressure..

This was his first major mainstream big budget film.. he can be forgiven if it wasn't a masterpiece... Not be attacked in a silly way you fans are doing.. & trust me this attacking has been going on even before the film came out...

Even before the film came out people have raised controversies over racism..

You don't like the movie, don't watch it.. pretend like it never existed, that's what I do with the Transformers movie..
you have your cartoon shows, stick to them.. watch them, enjoy them..

You switched almost every color and creed to fit what you wanted. And, might I add, why did you add only about five Chinese/Japanese/Korean(their nationality are unknown) characters to the whole movie but made the ENTIRE FIRE NATION Indian-Asian? Although I am not one to pull the race card, you, much like the Fire Nation, seem to have some superiority issues. With this, there is one redeeming factor. The show Avatar did not showcase any black people.
The show never mentions what Race they are from...
& so what if the Fire Nation was cast as Indian-Asian?

I don't see any problem in that.

This seems to have turned into a battle between cartoon adaptions by Bay and Shyamalan.

I think what gets Avatar fans more upset is the original cartoon is held in high regards by many and is viewed as much more than a children's cartoon on nickelodeon. On the surface it may seem silly but the show has a lot of depth and mature themes presented through its "whiny children" and many claim its the only western Anime that rivals Japanese Anime.

The reason nobody flips out on Michael Bay is because transformers just isn't Avatar. Sure in the 80s transformers was massively popular but a the end of the day it really is a pretty cheesy show thats sole purpose is to sell more toys. People who remember it fondly grew up during the 80s and it remains a nostalgic memory of a kids tv show they like. On the other hand I know people from ages 12 to 35 that love Avatar and the characters that inhabit its world because of the maturity of the show.

This is coming from someone who has not seen M. Night's film simply because it does not seem worth it but I understand the backlash from fans. If Peter Jackson or Chris Columbus ruined Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter respectively you can be sure fans would have had a lot to say. Comparing Avatar The Last Airbender with Transformers is like comparing Harry Potter with the Alvin and the Chipmunk movies. One adaption was made from a beloved story and the other from a arguably cheesy set of children's cartoons.

Taxi, that is EXACTLY how I feel. (Thank you for putting it so eloquently)

In the end it's not about the CGI, the actors or the plot. What really upset me and my friends was the loss of spirit and life in the characters. We went in knowing there was going to be changes (There has to be). What was given to us were totally different characters in a familiar setting.

Semper Fooey
I'd watch Alvin over Harry Potter and Avatar the Last Airbender any day!

That's the thing Taxi.. watch the film & let me know.. It isn't all that bad.. It does sacrifice a lot of elements.. But one should know it was an impossible concept to adapt into films the first place... There was another fan here few months who accused M Night for ruining Dragonball Z..

Trust me no one deserves such whiny accusations like "I could put a spell on you" & stuff like that.. This is a childish attempt in the first place..

Obviously Transformers is a cheesy concept.. but it still has a strong fanbase it might not have been philosophical as Avatar.. it's still an adaptation & you can't compare the 2...
Each fan will have high regard for his obsession, regardless of what it is & how it is judged by others..

So my obsession with Transformers is as good as his obsession with Avatar..
But I don't get the childish accusations like.. for a guy like M Night who's made a mainstream film for the first time it was a very good attempt.. unlike Clash of the Titans or Prince of Persia..

If you check this board you will see criticism for the film has been put out even before the film came out.. I find this very silly..

In the end it's not about the CGI, the actors or the plot. What really upset me and my friends was the loss of spirit and life in the characters. We went in knowing there was going to be changes (There has to be). What was given to us were totally different characters in a familiar setting.
please explain this... What do you mean it's not about CGI, Plot & Actors & the spirit & life in the characters??

please explain this... What do you mean it's not about CGI, Plot & Actors & the spirit & life in the characters??
Wow. I though the comment pretty much explained itself. Let me explain for you in greater details. What I meant was that as a community, the Avatar fans didn't care so much about some of the effects, the poor acting or the wonky plot (though they were some of the big complaints). What annoyed us was that the characters were so altered. You're allowed to take some creative license with films, but the characters should have the same basic personalities. That was lost with the film.

Avatar was not impossible to put into film. Obviously it was done. It was just poorly executed. Almost nothing is impossible with the technology today. And I do believe I can compare Transformers and Avatar. They are both cartoons about good battling evil. Both have ties to the Japanese culture(Either with comic books or anime) They were also both adapted into movies.

Also, putting a spell on someone is not an accusation. If you're going to criticize my letter, try to do it properly. And quit using the word whiney. Not only is it obnoxious to see the same word used over and over but it makes you sound dumb when you use it every comment.

Also you said you did not like M. Night in your first comment "I am no fan of M. Night.." Just pointing out the obvious....

Lastly, I'm a girl. I would like to be referred to as such.

Saying I am no fan of M Night doesn't mean I don't like his work...
There's a difference...

My whole point in this thread.. if you didn't like the movie, why not explain why you din't like it.. rather than a letter which only shows you as being silly...

You have said about changing races.. but still haven't replied to someof the things I said earlier that none of the races were shown in the cartoon, so why complain.. so what if they are indians-asians.

Actually there really isn't...but you can keep thinking so.

And I feel like I explained myself rather well in my letter. I knew it was never really getting to M Night but I believed(and still do) that it was an educated way to get my thoughts out rather than just ranting and raving about how "zuko wasn;t hawt!!1". THAT would've been silly.

I had replied to Taxi's comment rather than continue to argue with you. Since you really want to know. Here you go. The races WERE shown. The characters had to have skin colors didn't they? Zuko and Aang had fair skin. Sokka and Katara, dark. Had Indian Asians been used for the water nation then I might've understood. It does not matter so much if they were from a certain part of Asia(or any part of the world), but some consistency to the show would've been nice.

My main problem with the show was Night ignoring the religious subtext throughout & adapting into more of a fantasy direct-to-video concept...

I was expecting Night to take the religious concept a bit more seriously, but he chose to ignore it.. I honestly had no problem with the casting except for Zuko.. the character was a bit boring in the movies..
I hate when these adaptations ignore the anti-hero concept & make the characters 2 dimensional. eg:_ Starscream in Transformers..

I do agree with your sentiments & trust me I too feel the same..
But I do stand by that the movie wasn't all that bad & doesn't deserve so much hatred towards the director..

But let's not forget the movie did help the show a lot.. DVD sales increased upto 20%.. & also have inspired the original creators to create a spin off show..

Trust me.. sometimes these movies do help the original material...
I have a friend who started watching the cartoon after watching the movie & now he is a big fan of the show.. he even discusses why the movie is a failure...
Maybe I'll gather some notes from him & post them here, so you could relate to it.

WOAH! I'm already a member on here!

It's like MoFos... but different...