Tools    

Hey M Night, I heard you were casting for your new movie Avatar in Philadelphia today.

Also heard that despite the show being based on Asian culture and Asian mythology in general with the characters having Asian names, the casting call was mainly for non-Asians. Are you reserving the Asians to be extras so they can be beaten up by the nonAsian main characters?

If that's true, wouldn't you just be an uncle tom exploiting Asian culture like a colonialist for profit?

YEAH, geez maybe the "non-asian" companies are funding him or something. *more international faces for avatar!*

idk if shyamalan actually reads these or not but i'm seriously on my little computer knees begging you please please please don't f-up avatar. you gotta watch the series and keep it on point. so many people will hate you if you don't include the little details. zuko has scars, iro is heavy-set, azula is crazy, oh yeah and EVERYONE IS ASIAN. please don't rape our childhood! instead of taking your own approach and ruining one of the more amazing cartoons series stay accurate. please.

I have watched all MNS movies and have bought all of the DVDs. However I will not spend a penny on this moive. I still like MNS and would like to believe that he tried to fight for more appropriate Asian casting but... I find the casting of this movie repulsive, tragic and heartbreaking especially because I have always thought of MNS as a hero to the Asian community. What the hell happened?

This is silly. If you don't like that he's not using Asian actors, that's fine, but implying anything sinister beyond that is ridiculous. You should have a little thing called "evidence" before you make such serious accusations. The only reasonable conclusion right now is that he cast people who he thought were right for the role, and more or less looked the part. That's hardly worth flipping out over.

Since the time I heard that the main characters were going to be white, I was very much for boycotting this movie. Not only because I'm a huge fan of the series, but because I'm also Asian too. But as I saw the trailers and TV spots that were released, I had less of a problem with the movie and probably will see it when it comes out in theaters. Yeah sure the whole race issue is a problem, but I can understand how M Night was trying to just choose the best actors for the film.