Other dimension special effects

Tools    

Hello,

I am looking for special effects scenes that try to discover other dimensions / the unknown /untellable - to look behind the curtain of the material world. To me it is not very importend whether these specific movies fail or succeed as a hole, I am more interested in meaningful effects, that are a courageous experiment and not just effects like in action movies...

Just a view examples which scenes I have in mind:
-For example a lot of scenes in "the fountain"
-For example the ending scene of matrix, when neo sees with closed eyes
-Seeing of chacras and meridians in "Dante 01"
-Animatrix 2. Renaissance
-Blueberry (drugscene)
-ending of space odyssee
-some scenes in Noah (stone angels returning to heaven, creation scene)
-Constantine
-Dark City (changing houses and furniture at night, long before inception)
-maybe some scenes from harry potter
-neon genesis evangelion (ending)
-LEAGUE OF GODS (jet li 2016)

I would exclude incpetion for example, I can't remember one stunning new experimental effect/image from this movie. Actually we already know moving buildngs from dark city or even harry potter.

I am especially open to the "unknown" like japanese, chinese cinema, anime and so on.

So I am interested in powerful, courageous movie special effects showing a hidden, higher world, even if the movie is failing. I search for the experiment. The effects can be really "bad" as long as they deliver a "message", try to show the unseen. You could also point me to specific movie moments! Could be short movies as well.

I am not looking for story here, I am searching for images capturing or trying to capture the unknown.

Thanks!

I'll give it some thought but one of the films I thought of straight away was Take Shelter. One scene in particular I think is a brilliant use of special effects:

WARNING: spoilers below
The scene where, during one of the 'hallucinations', everything in the room levitates. It's worth pointing out also that there are some similarities with this and a much slower and quieter surreal moment in the Swedish Wallander film The Pyramid, where we see a drug-fuelled vision of a levitating cot and baby.

I must also mention the classic scene in Jason and the Argonauts, where, following Hercules' comment that the strange noises they heard "must have been the wind", the head of the giant bronze statue, Talos, turns slowly to stare down at them.

And the animated eyes of the stone angel in Interview with the Vampire.

-ending of space odyssee
Thinking of that effect, which used slit-scan, reminded me that Bernard Lodge worked on a similar effect for Alien, but probably his most famous work is on the first four opening and closing title sequences for Doctor Who. The latter sequences also used the slit-scan process, and represent the Time Vortex, which the Doctor's TARDIS enters and exits every time it moves location. The most successful of these I think is the one for Jon Pertwee's final year, beginning with what has been called the "star tunnel".

While we're on the subject, there's one effect in Doctor Who that I think chimes with what you're looking for, and it appears in the episode The Girl in the Fireplace:

During the story the Doctor and his companions are able to enter the past through time windows, and these were extremely well conveyed on screen. The result is like a one-way mirror through which the past can be seen. Each window opens like a large, rectangular door, with whatever is on the outside, e.g. a bookcase or something more elaborate, moving with it as it opens. In effect, the fabric of the past changes temporarily into something else.

Another example, which could be seen as more an idea than a special effect, appears in the story Enlightenment:

The characters land on an Edwardian sailing ship but it is soon revealed that the ship has anachronistic controls and is in fact flying through space, in a race against other ships, similarly upgraded, from different time periods.

The story Carnival of Monsters uses a comparable idea.

Castrovalva plays with the idea of recursion, and uses the artist M. C. Escher as a visual reference.

The very underrated episode Fear Her has a child's drawings affecting and impinging on the real world.

Flatline introduces villains the Boneless, who invade from a 2-D universe in various frightening ways.

And the Weeping Angels, now a classic monster of the series, have their own specific reality-bending ways, achieved with very simple but convincing special effects.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Enter the Void (2009)

The cinematic experience itself is the main focus of the film, but there is also a central theme of emptiness. Noé describes the film's subject as "the sentimentality of mammals and the shimmering vacuity of the human experience." The dramaturgy after Oscar has been shot is loosely based on The Tibetan Book of the Dead, and ends with the spirit's search for a way to reincarnate.
Not sure if Darmaturgy is a word but whatever. :P

I love the description below, also this would be an even better movie if you were "Under the influence of something good" having fun :P

I also think a film like Enter the Void really needs to be approached with a separate set of goals than that of a normal film. First of all, chuck any notions of entertainment, or even enjoyment, out the window. While you're at it, remove any notions of positivity that you can think of. The only reactions that Enter the Void will draw from you are negative ones. Personally, the only emotion I consistently felt was a slight nausea, tinted with the occasional horror, or perhaps a shameful arousal, as there is excessive sexual content that is all wretched in one way or another.

Dream sequence by Salvador Dali in Hitchcock's "Spellbound"

"The Hourglass Sanatorium" by Has ( based on Bruno Schulz novel, he is also a big inspiration to Quay brothers, check out their animations, awesome stuff)

'The Room' in Tarkovsky's "Stalker"

Some more:

Judas pursued by devils in The Passion of the Christ – I thought that worked really well. Similar moments in Ghost also fit the question I think.

I always liked the scene in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen where the characters travel to the tip of the moon's crescent and attach a rope to climb down to Earth. We see constellations moving and the workings of the universe represented through the science of the day.

Videodrome's awash with brilliant reality-distorting effects; White Noise also shows a "hidden world". The Lawnmower Man, in its day, was quite visually interesting.

Ghostbusters' fridge scene is one of the best otherworldly film moments.

In Star Trek, Species 8472 inhabit "fluidic space", outside normal space.

Darkness coming through the mirror in Legend – I've always loved that special effect, combined with the editing and Tim Curry's performance. What I particularly like is that where his body passes through the surface of the mirror it leaves sparkling gold dust. It could have been too flat without that detail I imagine. On the version with Jerry Goldsmith's music the scene is slightly longer and you see a bit more of Darkness but I like the Tangerine Dream-scored, shorter edit as it was the first one I saw, and holds back on showing the full monster for that bit longer.

I suppose Tron and Tron Legacy should also be mentioned, as the original would have been ground breaking at the time.

"The Hourglass Sanatorium" by Has ( based on Bruno Schulz novel, he is also a big inspiration to Quay brothers, check out their animations, awesome stuff)
Their Piano Tuner of Earthquakes was really good.

Their Piano Tuner of Earthquakes was really good.
My favourite is "Street of Crocodiles"