Fight Club End Question (SPOILERS)

Tools    

SERIOUSLY DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVN'T SEEN FIGHT CLUB IT WILL RUIN THE BEST MOVIE EVER FOR YOU

OK Fight Club is my favourite movie and I totaly understand it and I have seen it about 40 times. The only thing which I don't understand is how "The Narrator" (Edward Norton) makes Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) go by shooting his cheek. Is this because he makes Tyler believe that he will die causing him to? But if this is right why does The Narrator say, "I want you to listen realy carefully, my eyes are closed"

Does this mean that he is telling Tyler that he is not imagining anything and he is realy going to shoot himself?

This realy does confuse me because I love this movie. Could someone please explain this too me or dicuss it thanx

Than maybe this pain will leave my head.

I think it was like a self-concious thing, he couldn't make Tyler go away by telling him to. So he shot him, but shooting Tyler means shooting himself. So that's why he did it.

Might be wrong though.

Good movie.

I think Edward N. shoots himself to prove to Tyler that he didn't need him and wasn't going to take his crap anymore. Kind of a literal metaphor for moving past the alter-ego.

Yep--Pimp explained it right, at least to my recollection. I thought the point was that Tyler WAS him (his alter-ego). So he gave him an ultimatum: leave or Im willing to kill you. Tyler tried calling his bluff based on the fact that Norton was him and shooting Tyler meant shooting himself. Except Norton wasnt bluffing.

Kinda freaky, no? Putting yourself down?

Oh i get it I was thinking too much.

Thanx

history *is* moralizing
for those who have read the BOOK! (how could such a movie not make anyone feel like reading the book??? is beyond me), for the others: SPOILERS!
WARNING: spoilers below
Palahniuk seems to me to make it quite clear in the very last page of Fight Club, that while we, the audience, *see* the Tyler character disappearing on the screen, the one that actually disappears is not Tyler, but the main character represented by Edward Norton. That is, as if now the character were over that double personality stuff and now completely accepts that side of his personality (as a real part of him) represented by Tyler/Brad. maybe the movie doesn't make it so clear, but after all, while the buildings are stumbling down, Edward holds his lover's hand and doesn't seem preoccupied anymore. plus the "happy" music.

(but there were other differences in details between movie and book)