Music Collaborations

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed quite a few music collaborations lately on the radio. I know there have always been collaborations throughout the years...but ever since the success of Santana's Supernatural album...with Rob Thomas and Smooth in particular....there seems to be a trend of collaborations. Or, maybe I'm just noticing it more?

Currently, I'm really getting into Herbie Hancock's new CD Possibilties. I'm loving...

A Song For You featuring Christina Aguilera...Herbie arranged it and it's a great sound for her.
Sister Moon featuring Sting...good golly they make a nice team.
Stitched Up featuring John Mayer...not crazy about Mayer, but it works for me. Kinda catchy.

So what do you all think? I'd be interested to hear who you like teamed up with whom. It doesn't have to be current music...I interested in any time period.

Gerry Mulligan is one of my all-time favorite saxaphonists, and he had a series of albums where he collaborated brilliantly with other musicians: Mulligan Meets Monk, Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster, Getz Meets Mulligan, Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges and Gerry Meets Hamp (Lionel Hampton).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Weird, I was listening to DMC's Just Like Me featuring Sarah McLachlan when I read your post…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Female assassin extraordinaire.
looove "sister moon." and i didn't realize the herbie had an actual album, i thought the christina aguilera song was like a one-shot deal. here's a new one i'm loving (for the most part):

sergio mendes, producing with william from the blackeyed peas on "timeless" just released this february:

REVIEWS

All Music Guide

It's easy to think that since Santana made his big comeback using a lot of contemporary pop stars it would become the formula for the artists of yore to edge their way back into the limelight. Sergio Mendes, the best-selling Brazilian recording artist of all time, hasn't made a platter in eight years. He plays piano on a Black Eyed Peas track -- "Sexy" from Elephunk -- and the jam's a smash. Will.i.am of the Peas decides to hook up for a full-on collaboration with Mendes, because he's a huge fan. Being the hotshot producer of the moment, will.i.am recruited everyone from Q-Tip, Justin Timberlake, and John Legend to Jill Scott, Black Thought (the Roots), and Stevie Wonder (just to name a few) to sign on.

Recorded in both Brazil and the House of Blues in Encino, the set revisits many Mendes and Brazilian songbook classics and reworks them in the modern beat-driven idiom. Needless to say, the end result is entertaining, if mixed. Let it be said that a cut like "Mas Que Nada" should never have been covered, let alone redone. But it is here with Black Eyed Peas and some backing vocals with, of course, Mendes playing that trademark piano riff. OK, "That Heat" is a reworking of "Slow Hot Wind," the Henry Mancini tune Mendes covered and is supposedly the first track will.i.am ever sampled at the ripe old age of 14.

Here Erykah Badu croons in a sultry humid way as will.i.am goes down deep with the rap. Mendes' piano is what keeps the thing from falling completely apart. Better is the Baden Powell-Vinicius de Moraes medley of "Berimbau/Consolacao." Mendes' Rhodes offers the vamp that the elegant chorus singers -- Gracinha Leporace, Debi Nova, and Kleber Jorge -- and Mendes groove to. Will.i.am lays down some rather organic-sounding electronic percussion that sounds like palmas, and Wonder blows his harmonica over the entire proceeding as Jorge's guitar strides alongside Mendes' piano. This may be the best cut on the set. There is a fine case to be made for the humor in "The Frog," written by João Donato, and originally covered by Mendes. Q-Tip lays down a charming rhyme and Mendes' Wurlitzer work is killer.

The cover of "Let Me" is stiff and Jill Scott, as fine a singer as she is, doesn't cut it here, and neither does the rhythm track. The smoother than smooth "Please Baby Don't," written and sung by John Legend, works because of Legend's understanding of Brazilian rhythm and Mendes' piano groove that carries the voice. "Samba da Bencao," with Marcelo D2 and guitars by the Maogani Quartet, is engaging; Mendes' acoustic piano solo is beautiful, as are the horn charts. The title track with India.Arie is simply beautiful. Aire, with backing vocals by Nova and Leporace and a slinky guitar part by Jorge, makes the tune simply float as Mendes decorates it with Rhodes and synth.

Timeless is a mixed bag, but it's not because of Mendes. His own playing and arranging is utterly elegant. As a producer, will.i.am means well and in general does a fine job -- though he is, as would be expected, a tad overzealous in working with one of his idols. Timeless may not actually achieve that status, but for the moment it's a fine effort that doesn't reek of cloying commercial manipulation and feels like a true collaboration.

-Thom Jurek

A system of cells interlinked
The Heads - No Talking, Just Head

Although I think David Byrne is an incredible talent, I enjoyed this collaberative album in the mid-90s, in which the rest of the Talking Heads did an album that featured a different vocalist on each track.

Deborah Harry, Michael Hutchence, Johnette Napolitano, and Maria McKee are a few of the vocalists that join the Heads on the album. When The Heads came to The Paradise (RIP) in Boston, I was in a band at the time, and the singer was of again on again friends with Johnette, who was covering all the vocal duties for the live shows, and we ended up relaxing with the band for a few hours, drinking champagne and eating fruit after the show. All the mombers (especially Chris Franz) were very cool, talkative, and we got to pump them for info on the music industry.

I woke up naked next to the toilet then next morning, swearing off tequila forever, so that wasn't fun, but it was in my crazy days of the early 20s, so that was allowed. Fun story anyway.

EDIT: Caity's post reminded me of:

Delerium - Karma

Sarah is on the now totally caned Silence remix, but there are a few other guests on the album that add variety to this album of downtemo and chill-out. Speaking of Silence, I have the original 12" release kicking around at my house somewhere...