Movies You Grew Up w/ on TV

Tools    

What movies did you grow up with on TV that played all the time or you always caught it at one certain point. Maybe you still haven't seen it all the way through but you have fond memories of it. This is different from "That Movie You Always Rented on VHS" which I have another thread for. Off the top of my head I'll start with:

Surviving the Game
The Beastmaster
Office Space
(later years)
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (on USA)

Moonfleet
Jaws
Vampire Circus
Salem's Lot

Actually various Hammer and James Bond movies as well as Miss Marple films. Do those Joan Hickson Miss Marple features count?

TBH, if I liked a film and it was on tv I'd record it and then watch it countless times, which I did with all the films I listed except Moonfleet, so maybe that's the only one that counts?

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I grew up with 3 tv stations till I was 16, so the only movie I remember ever coming on was around Christmas, The Wizard of Oz would come on every year, probably why it's still one of my favorites.
Don't know what the hell that has to do with Christmas though.

Maybe, I don't remember seeing those but my titles were aired the 90's. I specifically remember those being aired on the same stations all the time that's why they called TBS "The Beastmaster Station" and HBO "Hey, Beastmaster's On". I guess my movies were continuously on TV for a couple of years and not just one-time airings. I'll add:

Pet Sematary II

It seems I'm going for movies that were on Sci-Fi (not SyFy), TBS, USA, and TNT.

Yes, this'll be a cultural difference for us. I had to rely on late night tv (especially at weekends as this is before 24 hour tv started over here) and BBC2 showing 'old' films. Nothing "played all the time" as there were only 4 channels. It was a very different world. I can only imagine how many films I'd have seen with movie channels or the internet.

Jaws
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Jason and the Argonauts
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Warlords of Atlantis
The Spy Who Loved Me
and pre 1980's Bond.
Our Man Flynt
The Silencers

King Kong (1976)
The Omega Man
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun
Planet of the Apes
(1968)
Alligator
Poltergiest
Skin Game
The Magnificent Seven
The Prefessionals
The Naked Spur
El Cid
Spartacus
Battle Beyond the Stars
The Bridge at Remagen
The Dirty Dozen

and many more

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've answered this elsewhere but...

The Wizard of Oz (I thought it was on Thanksgiving)
"Peter Pan" (the Mary Martin TV version)
Ben-Hur (Easter)
Oklahoma!
Gunfight at the OK Corral
Spartacus
The Pit and the Pendulum (Vincent Price)
Jason and the Argonauts
The Alamo (John Wayne)
Lots of Disney movies on their Sunday TV show
Dozens of sci-fi/horror B-movies on "Creature Features"
etc.

when i was growin up, we had 6 channels...6!! and sometimes 2 from a different country.

wizard of oz {thanksgiving/holloween}
ben-her/the 10 comandmants {christmas thro easter}

the howling
various vincent price movies
jean-claude movies
steven segal movies

poltergeist
any cheesesy 80's horror movies
charles dickens christmas carol

The Yellow Submarine played every 4th of July during my younger days:

What movies did you grow up with on TV that played all the time or you always caught it at one certain point. Maybe you still haven't seen it all the way through but you have fond memories of it. This is different from "That Movie You Always Rented on VHS" which I have another thread for. Off the top of my head I'll start with:

Surviving the Game
The Beastmaster
Office Space
(later years)
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (on USA)
The Wizard of Oz, which used to come on TV once a year, when my sister and I were preteens.

Some Like It Hot was another one, which was funny, until the end, which was rather sadistic. I remember seeing it once, on the great big, wide movie screen, at the Coolidge Theatre in Brookline, MA, afew years ago, and I totally forgot about that ending!

The Omega Man
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
King Kong
Planet of the Apes

Aladdin.

I remembered The Wizard of Oz playing around Easter every year, along with The Ten Commandments (ABC played the DeMille movie every year around Passover/Easter for DECADES). And through the late '70s and 1980s, It's a Wonderful Life must have played at least twenty times per season on my local TV stations from Thanksgiving through Christmas. At least.

But other than seasonal entries like that, I don't remember any of the D.C. or Baltimore stations (I lived in a part of Maryland roughly halfway between each city, so we got both metroplex's channels) being especially obssessed with programming a certain movie. Other than Christmas movies, obviously. And similarly the old horror movies that'd be shown around this time of year, leading up to Halloween.

ArghPirate, I'm sure you saw Beastmaster, for example, on TBS over and over again. It was like a joke in the mid and late 1980s, that they played that movie probably a hundred times in six years. If you had cable, you couldn't HELP but run into that turkey (or rather, ferret) over and over again, so much so that you started to wonder if that's what the "B" in TBS stood for. But the age of cable TV is much different than those of us who are old enough to remember only what you could get over the antenna, with those independnet UHF channels that showed movies late at night and during the weekends. I remember Channel 20 out of D.C. for at least a year or two, say 1979 and 1980, maybe longer, every Saturday at noon showed old comedies. Mostly they were Abbott & Costello, Martin & Lewis, and Hope & Crosby. But over and over again. So if you saw Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy on a Saturday in June, it'd probably come around again in the rotation by the early Fall. Channel 20 also showed all the old Tarzan movies Saturday mornings. Channel 45 out of Baltimore showed old monster movies on Saturday nights, mostly the Universal stuff, everything from the initial Dracula and Frankensteins of the 1930s to The Creature from the Black Lagoon and on and on. And again, they'd simply be in rotation. And this wasn't only for Halloween, this was a regular "Creature Feature" that ran year-round.

When we first got HBO, Showtime and the Movie Channel in the early 1980s, inititally they had almost no original programming, save for the odd stand-up comedy special or sporting event, and even when they showed "new" movies (meaning stuff that was a year old or less), they might only have twelve or fifteen titles for the entire month, so the schedule would be overbooked with the same movies for a month or two at a time. HBO might show 9 to 5, when they first got it, sixty or eighty times in two months. Then after a month or two, they'd have a new batch of fifteen movies and show them in just as heavy a rotation. That was pay cable TV the first couple years we had it at my house.

After a couple years of that, the pay movie channels did start mixing it up a bit more, showing more older movies along with the newest ones available, and started really investing in original programming, both series and movies.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's not complicated you must be reading into something that isn't there.

All I'm looking for are movies that you saw on TV and nowhere else. Movies you didn't know were in theaters and may never have been. Everyone knows Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Wizard of Oz, etc. I'm not looking for any random movie you caught once on TV or the James Bond marathon on Thanksgiving. With one of my picks, The Beastmaster, there's a reason they called HBO "Hey, Beastmaster's On" and TBS "The Beastmaster Station". It played all the time because a particular station got the rights for it and they wanted their moneys worth.

Semper Fooey
Hell, every movie I ever saw on TV I knew were in theaters even if it was before I was born except TV movies and I didn't grow up with any of them because I wasn't a little kid when they started those and they don't run TV movies a lot with a few exceptions like Duel.

I watched a lot of USA Network and Comedy Central movies, among other channels. What I can remember:

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!
Rocky movies
Polyester
The Addams Family
The Wizard of Oz (but I never cared much for it 'cause I had it on video)
Last Action Hero
Terminator 2

Rhonda Shear and Gilbert Gottfried's Up All Night late night movies: H.O.T.S., Surf Nazis Must Die, Friday the 13th films, loads of obscure B movies usually involving something crazy or sexy or both.

Think Big
Child's Play 2
Sixteen Candles
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Mannequin
Summer School
Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead
Psycho IV
Meatballs movies
Rock 'n Roll High School
Prom Night III
Back to the Future