Movies You Grew Up w/ on TV

Tools    

I won't even satisfy will.15 by reading his reply because he was one I specifically asked to leave. But it looks like the ridiculous confusion is still lingering.

Holden, congratulations, the entire internet thinks you're the greatest hipster ever because you knew of the cool movies before they were cool. You're a real pop culture wiz and we all care. But don't be surprised that more than 99% of people and their "circle of friends" also feel the way I do.

I think the only thing I would change about my original post is that I would have titled it "Movies WE Grew Up w/ on TV" with the hopes of posts with titles that everyone (as a collective group) recognizes as movies that became popular through constant TV airings.

Dear God I hope I'm not on any internet forum when I'm 30+. I'm just here to stimulate discussion to inspire myself with my writing for my movie blog.

It was first when I was a teen I really got into watching movies.

But from my childhood I remember:
The Police Academy movies
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Home Alone 1 & 2

Besides that I mostly saw danish movies from the 50s-70s.

Semper Fooey
I won't even satisfy will.15 by reading his reply because he was one I specifically asked to leave. But it looks like the ridiculous confusion is still lingering.

Holden, congratulations, the entire internet thinks you're the greatest hipster ever because you knew of the cool movies before they were cool. You're a real pop culture wiz and we all care. But don't be surprised that more than 99% of people and their "circle of friends" also feel the way I do.

I think the only thing I would change about my original post is that I would have titled it "Movies WE Grew Up w/ on TV" with the hopes of posts with titles that everyone (as a collective group) recognizes as movies that became popular through constant TV airings.

Dear God I hope I'm not on any internet forum when I'm 30+. I'm just here to stimulate discussion to inspire myself with my writing for my movie blog.
It's a Wonderful Life was a forgotten movie until it was aired constantly on television.

The proper title should be I, not we, as you think any movie that didn't affect you growing up worthy of mention.

A system of cells interlinked
Sedai you're ignoreing a key word in my phrasing. "MOST PEOPLE". Most people heard of Wizard of Oz before seeing it on TV. Most people would have no idea what Tremors is had it not been on TV. That's why I said if you're over 30 this is irrelevant because TV was totally different and only on a movie forum will you find someone that happens to remember Tremors in theaters. MOST PEOPLE that are old enough to remember any trailers from that time wouldn't remember it. Critics review everything and most of the reviews on RT were written much later than 1990. AFTER IT'S CULT TV FOLLOWING!

I never once changed the criteria. If I had, why do all my movies seem to magically fall into the same category? Office Space is a perfect (though more modern) example. Don't you dare tell me it was a blockbuster in theaters. Nobody knew of it until it played over and over on Comedy Central in the early 00's.

You can't give one example of how I've been uncivil but you're the people calling me an "old fart", calling anyone that continues this thread "dumb", and you still want to argue over MY thread. Yes it is MY thread, I came up with the topic and you aren't welcome anymore. You've ran it into the ground and no one would want to participate with your pretentious comments.

DO NOT REPLY, I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T GET IT OR DISAGREE!
I'm not welcome anymore?

I WORK HERE. It's my JOB to moderate these threads! Did you not notice the Mod tag next to my name? This thread belongs to Chris Bowyer - See the copyright at the bottom of the page? Just so we are clear on that.

Also, I would appreciate it if you didn't attempt to ascribe ideas and stances to me that I have not personally articulated. I haven't called you anything. I never called you an "old fart", which would be silly, seeing as how I am older than you. I have never called anyone on these boards "dumb" in my entire tenure with the site. I may call an IDEA or a STATEMENT dumb (which I did not do here), but I wouldn't personally attack anyone in such a manner.

I'm sorry, but you are making claims for large groups of people that you just aren't in a position to make. You don't know what "most people" think, when they saw what films, or where they saw them.

"Office Space was released on February 19, 1999 in 1,740 theatres, grossing USD$4,231,727 on its opening weekend. It went on to make $10,827,810 in North America.[7] On the Monday after the opening weekend, Judge received a phone call from Jim Carrey's agent. The comedian loved the film and wanted to meet him. Chris Rock called two weeks later.[6]" - wiki

Oops, wrong again. 11 million isn't bad for a B-comedy like office space. Also, apparently some people named Jim Carrey and Chris Rock heard of the film immediately, so I am guessing lots of other folks might have seen it as well, hence the 5 million dollar opening weekend.

You seem to want to make claims for the world based on your personal experiences and opinions. You will find that reality will rarely align with your stances while using this method.

The criteria was kind of confusing, dude, and yeah, it did kinda shift over time: Sedai specifically mentioned why, I believe.

But here's the thing: there are several perfectly intelligent people here who apparently misunderstood what you were asking for. So the reasonable response to that is to realize that all these people are probably not being dense or stupid or rude or whatever, but that it was a little confusing. No big deal; just acknowledge it could have been clearer, clarify it, and then move on without being confrontational about it. Saying someone has no life or is grappling with being older is completely unnecessary. It only becomes a big deal if someone digs in their heels and insists there was nothing confusing at all to begin with.

Also, just to clear something of my own up: nobody owns any thread and general discord is pretty much everyone's business as long as it's posted publicly. A thread starter is completely within their rights to insist that people try to stay on topic, but that's the extent of their jurisdiction, really.

Anyway, trying to answer what I think the thread is about is hard, because the only things that come to mind are things that were on TV, but we taped them off TV and onto VHS and watched them that way. If that still "counts" then the original Star Wars trilogy was among them. Not because I would have only learned of it from TV (is that the rule?), but because I saw them so young that I don't even remember them being new, so it was very similar to "discovering" them on TV in that I was too young to even really think about what it would mean for something to be in theaters, anyway.

He could have seen what I actually look like if he took a second to hit the picture thread up. Why bother though, just better to make more stuff up, I guess. *Shrugs*

This was the funniest part. And most pathetic.

All in all, I learned a lot from the 4 "old men" on these two threads, so kudos, more history for meeeee

Semper Fooey
Well, I guess we can all now talk about the movies we grew up with watching on TV without worrying about the ground rules.

I guess he doesn't have to worry about being on a forum when he is over 30 becuae he will be banned on all of them by then.

Holden and Mark especially, who are towering tomes of cinematic knowledge personified!

Anyway - I have Super Fuzz coming in from Netflix. Time to revisit it - I am sure it won't be anywhere near as fun these days, but I just can't resist.

The Wizard of Oz, which came on television at least once a year, and Some Like It Hot were two movies that I grew up watching on TV.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
just curious... why did the guy get banned? i must have missed something, cause i know he was kind of a dickweed, but he didn't do anything ban-worthy in here that i saw.

Awwwww, what a cute way to flame out. Buh-bye.

Signed,
an over-thirty-douchebag
Did he/she really call you an over-thirty-douchebag? Or is that a wonderful jab of your own? I thought he/she called you a hipster?

Yeah I can see it now

(Holden Pike)

Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Semper Fooey
The post where he had a meltdown is missing, the one that got him banned. I didn't see it, but he must have called him something worse than a hipster. That won't get you banned, you hipster you. (Guess I'll find out.)

Semper Fooey
Walt Disny's Alice in Wonderland.

When I was growing up all the old Disney animated features would be reissued in theaters every five or six years or whatever it was and that is where I saw them with one exception.

Alice.

It was such a box office stinker Disney dumped it on television, on the show he hosted, either the ABC or NBC one and that is where I saw it. They probably showed it annually for awhile.

Looked okay to me. Making the Mad Hatter look like old time comic Ed Wynn and getting him to do the voice was neat. I never could remember the rest of the movie, just the Tea Party.

"He has all the time in the world ... "
I remember watching The Conversation late one night on TV when I was a young teenager, it left quite an impression on me.

The Ten Commandments and A Charlie Brown Christmas. Those two films I would watch on tv but never considered even renting or buying them. Ever.