THE MOFO CHILL CLUB

Tools    

You just got cooler in my book, Swan. Are you a big fan of Jack White? I don't even have his first solo album yet (shame on me), but I'm a big fan of The White Stripes and his work with The Dead Weather and, to a lesser extent, the Raconteurs.
Oh yeah. Been a big fan since I first got Elephant around age... 11? Some time around then.

Looks like one of the textbooks required for the film class I'm taking is Film Art: An Introduction by David Bordwell. This is exciting, I've heard good things about Bordwell and this book.

Home from the hospital... all my test results look good.. they wanted to make sure that it wasnt my heart.... my father's family has a big history of heart disease as well as lung cancer. I thought it was skeletomuscular but the doctor didnt want to take any chances. Worst thing ever is morphine put into your system..

Someone was talking about Nathan Fillion's "Castle" in another thread and a video popped into my brain.... has anyone ever seen this?

Looks like one of the textbooks required for the film class I'm taking is Film Art: An Introduction by David Bordwell. This is exciting, I've heard good things about Bordwell and this book.
Skepsis does film studies and pretty sure he has read the same and they use a lot of Bordwell. Read some of his stuff online, Bluedeed has linked him a few times before too.

Is Skepsis majoring in Film Studies? I think that's what my major is going to be.

It's no ACCOUNTING or SYSTEM BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, but that's where my interest lies.

Skepsis does film studies and pretty sure he has read the same and they use a lot of Bordwell. Read some of his stuff online, Bluedeed has linked him a few times before too.
Yup, that book is invaluable when you're first starting out, and I still go back to it regularly. Let me know if I can give you any tips, Swan - I'm no expert, but after three years in Film Studies I feel like I have a decent awareness of the major scholars both for general analysis and in a good variety of more specific areas. I've also built up a vaguely decent library of journal articles from which I'd be happy to share as well, if you don't already get access to the databases with the course you're taking - though I assume you do if you're enrolled at a University. What's the class on?

Home from the hospital... all my test results look good.. they wanted to make sure that it wasnt my heart.... my father's family has a big history of heart disease as well as lung cancer. I thought it was skeletomuscular but the doctor didnt want to take any chances. Worst thing ever is morphine put into your system..
Glad you're back and everything's fine.

I take it the morphine made you feel sick?

I wish I could turn back in time for three years and rethink my choice of study.

Oh well, maybe I'll take an evening class on film or something after I've finally graduated in Applied Economic Science - Marketing...

I'm learning Economic French at the moment.

Je le déteste!

I wish I could turn back in time for three years and rethink my choice of study.

Oh well, maybe I'll take an evening class on film or something after I've finally graduated in Applied Economic Science - Marketing...

I'm learning Economic French at the moment.

Je le déteste!
merde

Cool. Who are your favorite scholars on film? Here's a description of the class, it's pretty basic (I imagine I'll pass with flying colors).

"Introduces students to the history of film, film technology, various film styles, genres, and movements, as well as helping them develop and apply a knowledge of film terminology and theories to critically analyze American and international cinema."

Cool. Who are your favorite scholars on film? Here's a description of the class, it's pretty basic (I imagine I'll pass with flying colors).

"Introduces students to the history of film, film technology, various film styles, genres, and movements, as well as helping them develop and apply a knowledge of film terminology and theories to critically analyze American and international cinema."
Bordwell/Thompson (and their individual work), Pam Cook (The Cinema Book is another film student bible), Richard Dyer, Rick Altman, Richard Maltby, Steve Neale, Graham Roberts & Heather Wallis (Introducing Film is another great introductory book), Laura Mulvey, Robert Kolker (check out A Cinema of Loneliness if you want to write about New Hollywood), Donald Richie (for Asian cinemas), Andrew Sarris and Pauline Kael (famous for their biting war of words over Auteur theory) and Noel Burch have all been hugely helpful to me at various times. I'm missing quite a few I'm sure, but those are the ones that I've enjoyed reading and that came up most often in a quick perusal of my various essays over the past few years.

One of my favourite things about film studies is its interdisciplinary nature. Obviously I love film and that's the main reason for choosing it, but I've learned so much not just about movies, but about all the things cinema portrays. Researching my papers has led me at various times to material on sociology, geography, history, anthropology, architecture, art history, psychology, literature and a bunch of others. If you ask me, if you do decide to major in the subject, you'll be making a great choice.

Nice, that's a lot of people to check out. I have a book by Pauline Kael, she's great.

Did you have to read any Andre Bazin? I have two books by him that I've skimmed through. I imagine I'll be more interested in his work when I watch more Italian Neorealism.

Did you have to read any Andre Bazin? I have two books by him that I've skimmed through. I imagine I'll be more interested in his work when I watch more Italian Neorealism.
Not enough. I read "On the politique des auteurs" when I was working on a bibliography on Auteurism but not much else so far.

Glad you're back and everything's fine.

I take it the morphine made you feel sick?
they do a MONA treatment for heart patients... Morphine, Oxygen, Nitro and Aspirin... the Morphine felt weird going in and felt like heavy pressure on my chest......

Reading your posts Skepsis makes me wish I was doing film studies at university, just sounds so much more fun I own "What Is Cinema?", both volumes, that is a compilation of Bazin essays, Swan. Not read much of it yet though.

Reading your posts Skepsis makes me wish I was doing film studies at university, just sounds so much more fun I own "What Is Cinema?", both volumes, that is a compilation of Bazin essays, Swan. Not read much of it yet though.
Yeah that's what I own, too. But like you I haven't read much of it.

I think it has different sections regarding different periods of cinema, like chapters on silent cinema, Chaplin. What I want to do over time is buy different books and read different essays/reviews relevant to different time periods and slices of cinema, and try and become well versed in as many different parts of it as I can, as there's so much great stuff to explore. The great thing is you can teach yourself I guess, and every film you watch helps you and you're learning along the way. I really want to be involved in something to do with films in the future, not exactly sure why I'm doing Business Information Systems (it's like Computer Science), although I don't dislike it