Why do the movie posters change?

Tools    

Dumb post here. Under favorite movies the little icons for each movie seem to change, is this automatic? And if so, why do some users have different ones? I assume it is because they added it to their favorites and saved it before the poster things were updated, but for me my Once Upon a Time in The West one changed automatically. Kinda nit picky but I've been curious.

note the different ones for once upon a time in the west

I don't know but i think it is great. As you pointed out i have that second Once..West one and you have the first. Actually did you take that from my profile? haha

Actually I did, you're the only one I know by name who had it on their list lol

Swan has a different Naked poster than me as well - http://www.movieforums.com/community/member.php?u=49314

Think his is a better poster but i prefer mine because it is white so you can make it out better and also his poster is the one you always see. So take that Swan

Vok has 4 out of ten movies in my top ten. We need more new posters like Vokzul Oh I hope youre not an alt.....lol!

Yeah it's automatic.
The images are linked from themoviedb.org so if they change, MoFo changes as well.
What do you mean? As me and Vokzul have shown different posters are used for the same movie.

Maybe the DB has more than one poster in its thingamabob and it's kinda random which one it picks then.

Think that is it. I think if you reenter them the posters can change because i know i used to have those other posters i mentioned and i remember re-entering them after my top 50 list.

Yeah, you guys pretty much guessed correctly, but to elaborate a bit: there are usually lots of posters for each movie (from themoviedb.org, as Rodent mentioned, which is our data source), and the default for each film is whichever has the highest rating on that site. This is usually pretty consistent, but it does change sometimes. And since your favorites are cached when you update them, it's possible for two people to have the same movie, but with different posters. If the person with the older poster were to go in and make a change, however, that should update the poster accordingly.