MoFo Fantasy Football 2016 - Draft and Settings

Tools    

The Draft

Okay, so, we don't have a ton of time this year: just a couple of weeks until the draft. The weekend just before the first game is Labor Day weekend, so that's probably out, so this August date is almost certainly going to have to be it, because otherwise we'd be drafting in a week, and that's pretty rough on anyone who wants to do any prep.

So the date is Saturday August 27th: 12:00 PM ET.

That said, here's the list of owners, though I assume donnie's going to change his team name at some point rather than keep Badger's.

The Teams
  • 11 Angry Men (Yoda)
  • Bald Beavers (LTIZZY)
  • Beantown Champs (Piledriver/Pete)
  • Censored Clowns (Captain Spaulding)
  • Little Machines (Sedai)
  • Lord of the Rings (rauldc14)
  • Los Pollos Hermanos (jiraffe)
  • Mud Dogs (seanc)
  • Silly Nannies (mikeython1)
  • PlasticPads&IronMen (TONGO)
  • The Empire (Fabulous)
  • The Milford Men (Frightened Inmate No. 2)
  • Discount Chiefs (spudracer)
  • Hired Goons (donniedarko)

See the post just after this one for a breakdown of tweaks to standard scoring, possible rule changes, etc.

League Settings

To see the full list of settings, head on over to to the league site on Yahoo and browse the Scoring & Settings page. Make sure you're familiar with the rules before the draft. But by way of summary, it's mostly standard scoring with a few moderate tweaks:
  • Half-PPR
  • 6 points per passing TD
  • Passing INTs are -2 instead of -1
  • Extra bench slot
That's pretty much it. No IDP, kick returns, or plateau bonuses. We've been rolling with this basic settings for a few years now and it seems to work well: it requires reasonably balanced rosters, and tweaking the scoring a little means we all have to work a little harder to determine value relative to the millions of ranking sites out there.

Playoffs

14 teams works great because we have a 13 week regular season, which means everyone plays everyone else once. Top two seeds get a Bye in the first week of the playoffs, and we have playoff reseeding turned on. We lock eliminated teams, though, so while there's a Consolation Bracket for people who get knocked out, only teams still alive in the "real" bracket get to make pickups (simply because it would be weird to have a player blocked from making a move in the MoFo Bowl because someone playing for 9th or something got to them first).

Rule Changes

It's been suggested that the trade veto period be one day rather than two, and I'm inclined to agree. We made this switch in baseball and it seems fine, since the day the trade is accepted doesn't count towards that period. I can't remember if we enacted it last year in football, too, but I'll go ahead with it unless someone objects. So, if you object, you've got a few days to say so!

If you have any other rule change suggestions, post them ASAP.

And one last thing...

The Movie Contest

Each year a handful of owners agree to send the winner a movie (DVD/Blu-ray, whatever). Doesn't have to be new or anything, and you can use it to make them watch something you like. It's opt-in, but it works both ways: you're only eligible to "win" movies from the other participating owners if you opt in yourself. We usually get about half the league to go for it.

I'm in. Anyone else?

I thought the trade processed in one day already in the football league.

Is there a way we can lessen the time a player clears waivers, shorten it by a day?

Sounds like there's not much biting on the DVD game this year. Last chance: if anyone else wants in, let me know this week, or forever hold your peace.

Ditto for any proposed rule changes or deviations from what's on the site now.

Assuming no issues, I can determine the draft order basically whenever. Any objection to doing it soon? I'd just do it randomly like last year and post the results as I go in a new thread.

Gonna determine draft order very shortly, if nobody objects (nobody has yet). That'll let people do their last handful of mocks from their actual position. It will, like last year, still be totally random.

Also, unrelated, but the draft for the money league is also on Saturday (a few hours later), and unfortunately I didn't hear back from a bunch of people until recently, and it turns out we're two short as a result. So if anyone's on the fence, please consider joining so we can still go forward with that league. It's a lot of fun, doesn't cost much, etc. And it's nice to play in a smaller league, too, since this 14-team one can be brutal on depth! Thanks.

Okay, so, for the draft order, I'm starting with a list of the teams as they appear for me by default on Yahoo, which is like this (this is not the draft order, it's just to assume each team a number for random drawing):

1. 11 Angry Men (Yoda)
  2. Bald Beavers (LTIZZY)
  3. Beantown Champs (Piledriver/Pete)
  4. Censored Clowns (Captain Spaulding)
  5. Little Machines (Sedai)
  6. Lord of the Rings (rauldc14)
  7. Los Pollos Hermanos (jiraffe)
  8. Mud Dogs (seanc)
  9. Silly Nannies (mikeython1)
  10. PlasticPads&IronMen (TONGO)
  11. The Empire (Fabulous)
  12. The Milford Men (Frightened Inmate No. 2)
  13. Discount Chiefs (spudracer)
  14. Hired Goons (donniedarko)

That means my team number is 1, LTIZZY's is 2, etc...all the way down to donniedarko at 14. I'll get a random number between 1-14 from www.random.org, and that determines who picks first. The next number determines who picks second, and so on. For example: if the fist number is 9, the first pick goes to the ninth team on this list (mikeython1's Silly Nannies). His team is then removed from the list (TONGO's team becomes the new ninth team), I pick a random number between 1-13, and we repeat the process.

I'll be starting in just a few minutes.