The MoFo LOTR (Extended Cut) Weekend!!

Tools    

btw, why doesn't an excited smiley exist?
Not really. I just use this or this

Forgot all about this. I'm in as long as i'm not busy. Haven't seen LOTR in close to 2 years now.

I cannot really participate. I only have the regular, non-extended versions of the movies.

So if I'm in the chatroom, it's just to bug.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Link to the chatroom? Or does it have a dedicated tab somewhere on the main page?

The chat room only magically appears when it's time to watch the movies.

The chat room will be activated by Yoda on the Friday

It's a special place that is kept under wraps for special occasions.

Have enough people confirmed they have the extended ones to do it? I do but if there's going to be a smaller turnout i'd say it would probably be better to just stick to the original ones.

I can't imagine wanting to watch the extended cuts. I felt like The Fellowship of the Ring was the longest movie I've ever seen. It isn't the longest movie I've seen, but I think it's definitely the longest movie I've watched in one sitting. The non-extended cut.

I wish movies were only a half hour, and a two hour movie was seen as excessive.

My extended editions have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow; physical media has gone down in the west behind the hills into Kodi. How will I stream this?

If I can find them, I'll take part.

ROTK is probably my favourite cinema experience. Still i was kind of begging for it to end, not being aware of the 44 endings going in it got really irritating especially at the age of 10.

I have both the extended and cinematic cuts and i have no idea where i got the cinematic ones or for how long i've had them

I've sat and watched the whole trilogy in one go. 12 hours.

Then I sat and did them again with the first commentary track on.
Then I sat and did it with the second commentary track on.
And then, again with the third.
Then...

You get the point.
I then went over all of the special features.
Took 150 hours.

I've watched the Godfather Trilogy in one sitting. And the first two in one sitting multiple times. Would get extremely bored with LOTR though if i tried it even though i like them a lot.

I've sat and watched the whole trilogy in one go. 12 hours.

Then I sat and did them again with the first commentary track on.
Then I sat and did it with the second commentary track on.
And then, again with the third.
Then...

You get the point.
I then went over all of the special features.
Took 150 hours.
Insane people do things like that.

Takes 60 hours to watch the films, then watch them with various the commentaries as well.

I reviewed the box set a while back.

Box Contents: 3 separate cardboard DVD cases styled to look like individual The Lord Of The Rings novels: The Fellowship Of The Ring, The Two Towers and The Return Of The King

---

The Fellowship Of The Ring Case Contents:
4 discs and a booklet presented in a Middle Earth map style showing the Special Features disc contents.
Leaflet with a contents list of all 4 discs.

Disc 1 Contents: First half of main movie, presented in Widescreen and with Dolby Digital Surround, DTS Surround, Stereo Sound and English Subtitles.
Also contains 4 Commentary Tracks with Directors, Writers, Cast, Special Effects Crew and Design Team members.

Disc 2 Contents: Second half of main movie, presented in Widescreen and with Dolby Digital Surround, DTS Surround, Stereo Sound and English Subtitles.
Also contains 4 Commentary Tracks with Directors, Writers, Cast, Special Effects Crew and Design Team members.

Disc 3 Contents: 6 Documentaries covering JRR Tolkien and the adaption of book-film processes, WETA Workshop's efforts to design and build Middle Earth, weapons and costumes.
Interactive Map that follows the journey of the Fellowship.
Art Galleries with 2,000+ images and slideshows with Artist commentary with optional Subtitles.
Storyboards and Pre-vis sequences with actual film footage alongside for comparison.

Disc 4 Contents: 11 Documentaries covering cast, photography, "A Day In The Life Of A Hobbit", visual effects, post production, editing, music and sounds created for the movie and a look at the reaction at the time of cinematic release.
Also another Gallery with behind the scenes and production photos.

---

The Two Towers Case Contents:
4 discs and a booklet presented in a Middle Earth map style showing the Special Features disc contents.

Disc 1 Contents: First half of main movie, presented in Widescreen and with Dolby Digital Surround, DTS Surround, Stereo Sound and English Subtitles.

Disc 2 Contents: Second half of main movie, presented in Widescreen and with Dolby Digital Surround, DTS Surround, Stereo Sound and English Subtitles.

Disc 3 Contents: 5 Documentaries covering JRR Tolkien and the adaption of book-film processes, the origins of Tolkien's Middle Earth, WETA Workshop's efforts to design and build Middle Earth, weapons and costumes. Also a look at how Gollum was created as a CG character.
2 Interactive Maps that show Middle Earth's Atlas and a location comparison of New Zealand and Middle Earth.
Art Galleries with 1,500+ images.

Disc 4 Contents: 8 Documentaries covering the filming of the movie, visual effects, post production, editing, music and sounds created for the movie. Also fight training and choreography.
Interactive sound demo of Helm's Deep.
More picture galleries with 300+ images and Artist commentary.

---

The Return Of The King Case Contents:

Disc 3 Contents: 6 Documentaries covering JRR Tolkien and the adaption of book-film processes, WETA Workshop's efforts to design and build Middle Earth, weapons and costumes.
2 Interactive Maps that show Middle Earth's Atlas and a location comparison of New Zealand and Middle Earth.
Art Galleries with 2,000+ images.

Disc 4 Contents: 7 Documentaries covering the filming of the movie, visual effects, post production, editing, music and sounds created for the movie.
Also a tribute to cast and crew involved throughout.
More picture galleries showing Production and behind the scenes photos.

---

I've cover a couple of extensive DVDs on here already with Alien 3 Definitive being one of the best for features, but this LOTR Box is by far the biggest.

Combining ever aspect of behind the scenes photography and filming and adding picture galleries and cast and crew notes, interactive maps with commentary and subtitles throughout.

Any fan of LOTR will be extremely happy with this Box and any movie fan who, like me will revel in the longevity of the presentation too.

Highly detailed and very little missed out from the finish product, LOTR Extended Cut Trilogy Box Set is one that every movie lover and DVD lover should own.

I've sat and watched all 3 films throughout with the original soundtrack, and have watched all 3 films each with the 4 various Commentary Tracks too, which equates to 54 hours and 30 minutes of film alone... and with the rest of the Documentaries and Galleries of near 6,000 images on the second and third discs respectively, I lost track but I would hazard a guess at, near as makes no difference, 100+ hours of LOTR joy.

The Documentaries are also highly informative, they leave nothing out of the commentaries and explain in great detail how certain CG/miniature shots and scenes were pieced together and show great detail from anything in costume design to the casts' character development.

The overall Commentary Tracks on the main films are also packed with little snippets of info and the main cast Commentary is not only informative and interesting, but also funny at times and full of stories and anecdotes of life behind the scenes and life on set.
There's also over 40 people involved in the commentaries.

It's that extensive, it's actually hard to take it all in on the first time round, I've watch a couple of times and am still discovering things I missed last time.

Definitely a buyer.

I tried to watch the dark knight trilogy in one sitting but got really bored by the time i'd finished The Dark Knight so i didn't go on with Rises. Also tried to watch the three Bourne films in one sitting the first time i had watched them which was a terrible idea, didn't even make it half way through Supremacy.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Also, take note: There's a diffrence in running time depending on if you're watching the DVD extended versions or the Blue-ray extended version. The difference is as follows from theatrical release, through dvd extended to blue-ray extended:

Fellowship:
Theatrical: 178 min
DVD ext.: 200 min
BD ext.: 228 min

Two Towers:
Theatrical: 172 min
DVD ext.: 214 min
BD ext.: 235 min

Return of the King
Theatrical: 192 min
DVD ext.: 240 min
BD ext.: 263 min

Rodent, do you have any DVDs you haven't bothered to watch yet?