AdamUpBxtch's Top 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

28. Zodiac (2007) Crime, Drama, Mystery
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

IMDB: 7.7/10

Directed by: David Fincher

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards, Chloe Sevigny, John Carroll Lynch, Donal Logue, Dermot Mulroney, Elias Koteas, & Brian Cox

Plot: In the late 1960s and 1970s, fear grips the city of San Francisco as a serial killer called Zodiac stalks its residents. Investigators (Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards) and reporters (Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr.) become obsessed with learning the killer's identity and bringing him to justice. Meanwhile, Zodiac claims victim after victim and taunts the authorities with cryptic messages, cyphers and menacing phone calls.

Jake Gyllenhaal is impressing me with each new movie I see of his. Granted I haven't seen that many of his new ones but the ones I was interested in and saw I was very impressed, he is crawling out of his Day After Tomorrow shell and it is showing. Downey is good in this and I'm not the biggest fan of Ruffalo but he was solid as well. I love movies above Serial Killers or Cops chasing a serial killer so this is in my area. Loved it. David Fincher is a great director.

Again, it's not that I think Gladiator is bad. Just that I don't think it's good, either. Tell you what, the next time I see it's on I'll record it.

Big thumbs up for The Way Way Back, Horrible Bosses, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Kick-Ass, Road to Perdition, Tropic Thunder, Birdman, Zodiac, and The Usual Suspects.

Eternal Sunshine, Gladiator, Cabin in the Woods, and Basterds were just ok for me.

Shutter Island was a big disappointment but I need to see it again.

I do not care for Pacific Rim or Army of Darkness.

23. King Kong (2005) Action, Adventure, Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

IMDB: 7.3/10

Directed by: Peter Jackson

Starring: Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts, Jack Black, Andy Serkis, Colin Hanks, Thomas Kretschmann, Jamie Bell, & Kyle Chandler

Plot: Peter Jackson's expansive remake of the 1933 classic follows director Carl Denham (Jack Black) and his crew on a journey from New York City to the ominous Skull Island to film a new movie. Accompanying him are playwright Jack Driscoll (Adrien Brody) and actress Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts), who is whisked away by the monstrous ape, Kong, after they reach the island. The crew encounters dinosaurs and other creatures as they race to rescue Ann, while the actress forms a bond with her simian captor.

One of my favorite remakes. Peter Jackson just knows how to make an exciting and great adventure no matter what story it is based on(Unless it's the Hobbit 3). When I first heard Jack Black was gonna be in this movie I had this weird emotion where I love Black but I thought he was gonna ruin this movie for me, but he is surprisingly tamed and is good in the role he is given. Andy Serkis again is fantastic in this movie as he plays TWO ROLES.

22. Dawn of the Dead (2004) Action, Horror, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 75%

IMDB: 7.4/10

Directed by: Zack Snyder

Starring: Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Jake Weber, Mekhi Phifer, Ty Burrell, Michael Kelly, Kevin Zegers, Lindy Booth, Ken Foree, & Tom Savini

Plot: When her young daughter is turned into a zombie and attacks her father, Ana (Sarah Polley) just manages to escape, only to realize her entire Milwaukee neighborhood has been overrun by the walking dead. After being questioned by cautious policeman Kenneth (Ving Rhames), Ana joins him and a small group that gravitates to the local shopping mall as a bastion of safety. Once they convince suspicious security guards that they are not contaminated, the group bands together to fight the undead hordes.

LOVE this movie. Another remake but still very well done. Love the entire cast including Ving Rhames who is just plain awesome in this movie. The rest of the cast is great as well. One of the first zombie movies to showcase fast zombies(28 Days Later was the very first but this one came out about 2 years later) which just ups the threat level immensely. I like the drama, action, and the characters. Great movie from Zach Snyder. There is only one thing in this movie I have a problem with
WARNING: spoilers below
the zombie baby
but I let it go as the rest of the movie is great. Very good remake.

Another that I'm not sure if I've seen it just the once or twice, but I really liked it. I thought Snyder made it just different enough to make it his own, but close enough to the original to have it be a remake. In doing so I felt he also managed to keep what is liked about the original.

21. Django Unchained (2012) Western
Rotten Tomatoes: 88%

IMDB: 8.5/10

Directed by: Quentin Tarantino

Starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Dennis Christopher, James Remar, & Jonah Hill

Plot: Two years before the Civil War, Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave, finds himself accompanying an unorthodox German bounty hunter named Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) on a mission to capture the vicious Brittle brothers. Their mission successful, Schultz frees Django, and together they hunt the South's most-wanted criminals. Their travels take them to the infamous plantation of shady Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), where Django's long-lost wife (Kerry Washington) is still a slave.

I....LOVED....THIS...MOVIE. Tarantino seems to know how to always bring a fresh take to every genre of film he does, and he does it with flying colors here. I love the cast, specifically Waltz (Even if his motives seem very weird towards the end of the movie and that is where some criticism for this movie comes from) and DiCaprio who both are fantastic in this movie. The movie had great action and some great comedic scenes as well. I loved the KKK scene that was funny. And it was bloody good fun all around. I seriously cannot wait to see what Tarantino does with ANOTHER western the Hateful Eight that is one of my most anticipated movies of the year (Unless it is coming out in 2016 then it's one of my most anticipated for next year)

Love Django Unchained.

I think I only had it somewhere in the 90s when I did my top 100, but if I were to redo it now this would be much higher. I especially love the performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson, who I felt were much more deserving of an Oscar than Waltz, but didn't even get nominated.

Also, Don Johnson was great as Big Daddy. He never seems to get mentioned but his scenes are among the film's highlights.

20. The Imitation Game (2014) Biography, Drama, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

IMDB: 8.1/10

Directed by: Morten Tyldum

Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew William Goode, Mark Strong, Allen Leech, Charles Dance, Rory Kinnear, & Matthew Beard

Plot: In 1939, newly created British intelligence agency MI6 recruits Cambridge mathematics alumnus Alan Turing (Benedict Cumberbatch) to crack Nazi codes, including Enigma -- which cryptanalysts had thought unbreakable. Turing's team, including Joan Clarke (Keira Knightley), analyze Enigma messages while he builds a machine to decipher them. Turing and team finally succeed and become heroes, but in 1952, the quiet genius encounters disgrace when authorities reveal he is gay and send him to prison.

I can't really explain why I love this movie so much. I am one of those people that usually can't get into a biopic, but somehow Benedict Cumberbatch finds a way for me to care for this character. Loved it all around and when you have Tywin Lannister(That's pretty much who Charles Dance plays in this lets be honest lol) on your back it makes it quite intense. Love the entire cast and the story itself kept pulling me in. And I actually did get sad at the end.

King Kong I thought was good, but dragged on a little too much. The Dawn of the Dead remake is one of a handful that are actually really good. I still prefer the original, but I will rewatch the Zack Snyder one too. Gladiator is awesome too.

19. The Godfather (1972) Crime, Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 99%

IMDB: 9.2/10

Directed by: Francis Ford Copolla

Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire, John Cazale, Richard S. Castellano, & Abe Vigoda

Plot: Widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, this mob drama, based on Mario Puzo's novel of the same name, focuses on the powerful Italian-American crime family of Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando). When the don's youngest son, Michael (Al Pacino), reluctantly joins the Mafia, he becomes involved in the inevitable cycle of violence and betrayal. Although Michael tries to maintain a normal relationship with his wife, Kay (Diane Keaton), he is drawn deeper into the family business.

I got some shifty eyes when I gave the Godfather a 4 out 5. So giving something a 4 out of 5 is bad these days lol? I get it's considered one of the greatest of all time and I'm not arguing that this is my "Favorite" list after all and I'm just saying it's not in my top 10 of movies I love on an emotional level. I still liked the film the best part for me was Marlon Brando as Vito he was truly magnetic and every time he was on screen I was pulled in. I also absolutely loved the horse head in the bed scene I got a huge kick out of that. Good film.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Still a damn nice list you've got going here.

Eternal Sunshine I think I still love (I certainly hope so) but last time I watched it I wasn't as taken with it as before. Hopefully just a one-off. Pacific Rim was a lot of fun. I like both of the 'new' Star Trek films but don't love them like I do the other versions. Birdman, Shutter Island, Django and Imitation Game I liked. Zodiac I was very impressed with and keep meaning to give a rewatch to.

Wasn't that keen on Basterds but Usual Suspects I really like. I'm not entirely sure about Gladiator. I used to really love it but I'm not sure about it anymore, though I feel a lot of that is down to the large amount of negativity there now seems to be around it and that has sort of influenced me. I've not watched it all the way through for a good many years. Then there are a bunch of films (Hitchhikers Guide, Inception, Prestige and King Kong) that I have seen but only the once and not in a long time so not sure how I actually feel about them. As someone who massively loves Zooey Deschanel I need to rewatch Hitchhikers just for her alone. The one thing I do remember about that is Bill Bailey voicing the whale falling from the sky.