AdamUpBxtch's Top 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Not seen Seven Psychopaths but I quite liked The Mist and also remember being a big fan of The Patriot but I've not watched it in many years. I keep meaning to pick it up on DVD.

45. Road to Perdition (2002) Crime, Drama, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

IMDB: 7.7/10

Metacritic: 72%

Directed by: Shawn Mendes

Starring: Tom Hanks, Tyler Hoechlin, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Ciarán Hinds, Liam Aiken, & Jude Law

Plot: Mike Sullivan (Tom Hanks) is an enforcer for powerful Depression-era Midwestern mobster John Rooney (Paul Newman). Rooney's son, Connor (Daniel Craig), is jealous of the close bond they share, and when Mike's eldest son, Michael (Tyler Hoechlin), witnesses a hit, Connor uses the incident as an excuse to murder Sullivan's wife (Jennifer Jason Leigh) and youngest son. Forced to flee, Sullivan and Michael set out on a journey of revenge and self-discovery.

Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors. Love almost anything he's done(I haven't seen everything he's done though). Love this movie, this is one of my favorite gangster movies. The entire cast is great and I love the story, acting, and the atmosphere is just plain perfect.

44. Signs (2002) Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 74%

IMDB: 6.7/10

Metacritic: 59%

Directed By: M. Night Shyamalan

Starring: Mel Gibson, Joaquin Pheonix, Abigail Breslin, Rory Culkin, Cherry Jones & M. Night Shyamalan

Plot: Everything that farmer Graham Hess (Mel Gibson) assumed about the world is changed when he discovers a message - an intricate pattern of circles and lines - carved into his crops. As he investigates the unfolding mystery, what he finds will forever alter the lives of his brother (Joaquin Phoenix) and children (Rory Culkin), (Abigail Breslin). A unique story that explores the mysterious real-life phenomena of crop signs and the effects they have on one man and his family.

I know I know. Aliens are a soft spot (No matter what their silly weakness is) so you may see a lot of them on this list. I'll be the first to say it there are many plot holes and such, but the suspense and atmosphere of this film takes the cake. I'm not a religious person but it was a nice little story watching a man that lost his fate gaining it back again slowly through many signs. I like Mel Gibson and Joaquin especially shines.

43. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy
Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

IMDB: 8.3/10

Directed By: Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones

Starring: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, & Connie Booth

Plot: A comedic send-up of the grim circumstances of the Middle Ages as told through the story of King Arthur and framed by a modern-day murder investigation. When the mythical king of the Britons leads his knights on a quest for the Holy Grail, they face a wide array of horrors, including a persistent Black Knight, a three-headed giant, a cadre of shrubbery-challenged knights, the perilous Castle Anthrax, a killer rabbit, a house of virgins, and a handful of rude Frenchmen.

Comedy Gold, that's all I can really say. Chapman and the entire cast is great. The Black Knight scene is my favorite scene I was crying the first time I watched it, which was on youtube and that is what got me to watch the full movie and I'm glad I did the movie has even more laughs in it throughout.

42. Kick-Ass (2010) Action, Comedy
Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

Directed by: Matthew Vaughn

Starring: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Nicolas Cage, Mark Strong, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Evan Peters, & Lyndsy Fonseca

Plot: Using his love for comics as inspiration, teenager Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) decides to reinvent himself as a superhero -- despite a complete lack of special powers. Dave dons a costume, dubs himself "Kick-Ass," and gets to work fighting crime. He joins forces with the father/daughter vigilante team of Big Daddy and Hit Girl, then befriends another fledgling crime-fighter called Red Mist (Christopher Mintz-Plasse), but a scheming mobster soon puts their alliance to the test.

"I can't fly, but I can kick your ass". One of the my favorite superhero movies of all time, and mostly for the reason that the heros aren't actually "super". I'm so tired of movies about Heros with actual superpowers or high tech robot suits. Matthew Vaughn is a genius when it comes to fighting sequences. The movie has a good story, characters, and the action is simply superb. Easily Cage's best role in years as Big Daddy, he was the highlight of the movie for me.

41. Horrible Bosses (2011) Comedy, Crime
Rotten Tomatoes: 69%

IMDB: 6.9/10

Metacritic: 57%

Directed by: Seth Gordon

Starring: Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day, Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, & Jamie Foxx

Plot: Nick (Jason Bateman), Dale (Charlie Day) and Kurt (Jason Sudeikis) are workers who would like nothing better than to grind their oppressive employers into the dirt. Quitting their jobs is not an option, so -- fueled by alcohol and dubious advice from a criminal (Jamie Foxx) -- the men devise a complex and seemingly foolproof plan to permanently rid themselves of their terrible bosses. The problem is, any plan is only as clever as the brains behind it.

One of my favorite comedies, loved the idea of this movie before it even came out and It did not disappoint. It is a pretty well thought out comedy. The twist and turns are great and I absolutely love the cast. There are many funny parts in this movie. I believe it is a good comedy (Now it's sequel is another story lol)

40. Army of Darkness (1992) Comedy, Fantasy, Horror
Rotten Tomatoes: 70%

IMDB: 7.6

Metacritic: 57%

Directed by: Sam Raimi

Starring: Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Marcus Gilbert, Ian Abercrombie, & Richard Grove

Plot: Ash (Bruce Campbell) finds himself trapped in medieval times. He must quest for the Necronomicon, a book of evil which can return him to his time. Unfortunately, he releases the evil trapped inside the book and unleashes an army of the dead.

"This is my BOOOMSTICK!!"

I'm pretty much getting my favorite comedies out of the way earlier in my list. Bruce Campbell remembers his roots and that's a good thing (With a Evil Dead TV series coming, will it be good? That's to be decided when we see a trailer). Army of Darkness is funny, and it has got some great horror elements, along with various great battle sequences (For when it was made anyway). Apparently they are making a second Army of Darkness which confuses me(If you've seen this movie you know the ending). I still really like this movie.

39. Tropic Thunder (2008) Action, Comedy
Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

IMDB: 7.0/10

Metacritic: 71%

Directed by: Ben Stiller

Starring: Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Jay Baruchel, Brandon T. Jackson, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Cruise, Danny McBride, Nick Nolte, & Steve Coogan

Plot: Tugg Speedman (Ben Stiller), pampered action superstar, sets out for Southeast Asia to take part in the biggest, most-expensive war movie produced, but soon after filming begins, he and his co-stars, Oscar-winner Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr.), comic Jeff Portnoy (Jack Black) and the rest of the crew, must become real soldiers when fighting breaks out in that part of the jungle.

"I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude"

This is one of the first dirty comedies I ever saw in theaters and I absolutely loved it. The cast is fantastic and the story is great. some great laughs in this movie especially from Robert Downey Jr. who shows his comedy chops and Jack Black is surprisingly funny in this and is the other that shines. When I first saw this I swear I had no clue Tom Cruise was in it that's how good his costume and acting is.

38. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Directed by: Matt Reeves

Starring: Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Toby Kebbell, Judy Greer, Nick Thurston, Terry Notary & Kirk Acevedo

Plot: Ten years after simian flu wiped out much of the world's homosapiens, genetically enhanced chimpanzee Caesar (Andy Serkis) and his ever-growing band of followers have established a thriving colony just outside San Francisco in Muir Woods. Meanwhile, a small band of human survivors emerges, which forces Caesar -- as leader -- to grapple with the dual challenge of protecting his people and re-establishing a relationship with the remaining human population -- the latter being Caesar's secret wish.

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Andy Serkis, my god, he is Oscar caliber even if he is hiding behind CGI. His performance in this movie as Caesar was stunning. Loved this movie and it is my favorite Planet of the Apes movie. Great acting, story, & action sequences. The special effects are very good. Oldman and Clarke and the rest were great as well but Serkis shines above everybody.

I went into the theater fully expecting to hate Tropic Thunder. I really don't like Jack Black or Ben Stiller, dislike most comedies and dislike most war movies. So a comedy, starring Jack Black and Ben Stiller, about some people making a war movie didn't sound like my cup of tea.

I laughed my butt off and it's one of my favorite movies, too.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
While HK apparently disagrees I think this is shaping up to be a very cool list. I'm a fan of Road to Perdition, Signs, Kick-Ass, Tropic Thunder and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (though I preferred Rise....). Absolutely hated Monty Python... though. And just to complete my critique I've not seen Army of Darkness or Horrible Bosses.

37. The Way Way Back (2013) Comedy, Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 85%

IMDB: 7.4/10

Directed by: Nat Faxon, Jim Rash

Starring: Liam James, Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, AnnaSophia Robb, Allison Janney, Maya Rudolph, Rob Corddry, Nat Faxon & Jim Rash

Plot: Duncan (Liam James) is an awkward teen who must spend the summer at a beach house with his mother (Toni Collette), her boyfriend, Trent (Steve Carell), and Trent's obnoxious daughter. Trent can't resist badgering Duncan, so the youth steals away to a water park and gets a job that will help him stay off Trent's radar. As Duncan tends to the slides and pools of the aging park, he finds a father figure in wisecracking park manager Owen (Sam Rockwell) at a time when he desperately needs one.

Don't confuse it with the 2010 movie The Way Back, I think it is a little silly that they just added an extra "Way" instead of coming up with another title but whatever. I love Sam Rockwell and he shines in this movie big time. This is one of my favorite Indie movies as well and don't let the cast fool you this is considered an Indie movie. I love this movie. I love the story, characters, and the humor from Sam Rockwell just ups it imo, one of my favorite comedic performances by him. If you like Sam Rockwell humor give this movie a chance because it may surprise you.