We've been on the new server for one year

Tools    

As of tomorrow, we'll have been on the new server for a full year! And I think it's fair to say that it's been everything we'd hoped. Seriously, this thing is ridiculously overpowered. Plenty of room to grow into it.

Downtime has been virtually non-existent, and what little there's been has had to do with setting changes and/or DNS problems, and not the server crashing. In fact, we're coming up on a milestone on that front in the next couple of weeks.

The cost has been significant, and I'm still trying to find ways to offset it. Hopefully I'll have some new, workable ways to do that soon which don't inconvenience you guys too much.

Here's to more years of flying along on the new server.

The cost has been significant, and I'm still trying to find ways to offset it. Hopefully I'll have some new, workable ways to do that soon which don't inconvenience you guys too much.
Have you considered a PayPal link for member support? I know you want to keep the forums free to use, but I think giving the people the option to help out isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, I remember the switchover.

Before that, the problems with downtime were getting progressively worse. Was usually between 9am to 11am then it got worse and was anything between 6am and Noon.
At the height of the trouble I remember MoFo being down for almost a whole day. It was something like 6am and then went all the way to 5pm before the site unlocked itself.

I think I've had maybe two instances on the new server when it wouldn't allow me to come on but it was ages ago... think it was teething problems not long after the switch.

I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic about the old forum (even if I only spent one year with it). It had this very 90s/retro feel to it, which I loved.

I don't think it could've gone any better, could it?
Nope! I moved some smaller sites over first and did a dry run with the database; it went really well, and was a huge relief.

Have you considered a PayPal link for member support? I know you want to keep the forums free to use, but I think giving the people the option to help out isn't a bad idea.
Yeah, I've definitely thought about it. The reason I haven't so far is that I think it might be good to have it as In-Case-of-Emergency-Break-Glass kind of thing, where it would be taken a lot more seriously and help a lot more, if we ever really need it, if we've never asked for help before.

There might be a way to split the difference, though, PBS-style, where people get something cool for donations. But like PBS it would have to be hilariously overpriced ($80 gets you a tote bag! What a steal!) because it's half normal product sale and half donation.

I think I've had maybe two instances on the new server when it wouldn't allow me to come on but it was ages ago... think it was teething problems not long after the switch.
Yeah, I was (am) still learning about how servers work, so there were one or two instances where I tried to change something and the site was inaccessible for about ten minutes. From the perspective of a MoFo it might not be any different, but from my end it's significant that the server's never done down because it got more than it could handle. Just because I was mucking around and pushed the wrong button.

Too long!

Downtime has been virtually non-existent, and what little there's been has had to do with setting changes and/or DNS problems, and not the server crashing. In fact, we're coming up on a milestone on that front in the next couple of weeks.
Just a follow-up on this, in about a week the new server will hit a year of uninterrupted uptime!

As I've hinted, there were super-brief periods where the site seemed down, but it was always because I'd changed some setting or done something silly while getting my feet wet in the world of server administration. Always my bad, rather than the server's. Obviously, I knew I was springing for a more-than-sufficient server, but a year without a single crash is obviously beyond my expectations.

I missed this. It's been a smooth year.

Also:

You can see how many posts the user has made!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You can see how many posts the user has made!
Big Whoop.

As long as you know you don't have as many posts as me and Honeykid, you're fine.

No news is good news: yesterday we were bombarded by requests (probably from bots), and had over 2,000 guests listed on the Who's Online page as a result. Server didn't blink: the load still only got up to around half of the server's capacity (and going over that would've just meant some moderate slowdowns, I think) and my guess is most people online at the time had no idea.

The server isn't cheap, but it's been pretty much perfect.

If I were to brag about something like that, the server would crash right after. Should I hush!?!

I judge users based on the number of there posts. Basically I disregard those with too many or too few.
Ouch!

Hello, Hairy Lime!

The site runs smooth for me, fast page loads, I like it!

IMDB on the other hand never loads correctly for me and I have to refresh the page like 3 times there. So you're doing it right Yoda!