The 2008 Election

Tools    

Yoda, you're extremely unfair. I probably shouldn't have responded here because being the shoutbox, I was feeling rather insecure about how long I should write my answers. You're saying you want more details, I gather.
Fair enough. I simply assumed that the arguments you put forth were the ones yo uwanted to make. But if you're saying that you deliberately avoided answering certain things because it was the Shoutbox, I don't have any problem taking you at your word.
You also decide that since someone disagrees with you, you tell them they can't argue logically. So it is better to just insult them than to hear them out? Or actually debate in another thread?
Well, no, it's not that you're simply disagreeing. As I'm sure you've noticed, I've disagreed with lots of people here, and I think most of the disagreements I hear are reasonable and logical. But look at it from my perspective from a moment: you use extremely stark language to describe large swaths of people. You admit that you're so angry about our current state of affairs that they cannot even fathom an opposing viewpoint. I can't imagine you'd dispute that being so emotionally involved in an ideology (whether you should be or not) is bound to cloud one's objectivity a bit. And when that manifests itself in arguments, I think it's reasonable to wonder how that emotion might be coloring things.

That said, I am guilty of carelessness here. I should make it clear that I do not intend to comment on your way of thinking in general. In other words, I wouldn't dream of suggesting anything about your intelligence or rationality overall. I think you are putting forward many emotional arguments right now, but I do not mean to suggest that this is the only kind of argument you can make. If anything I said came off this way at all, I absolutely apologize.

We were once in a discussion and you bowed out.
Assuming we're thinking of the same thing, yes, this is true, though I was met with something like three long replies from three different posters, and I'd rather delay responding altogether than do a half-hearted job. I have a reply written up, however, which I simply haven't finished yet. Many people here feel differently from me, and that's fine, but it makes engagement in these issues kind of all-or-nothing.

As to the wife thing, it was not the divorce, but allowing Bush to characterize his wife as a drug addict during the 2000 election. So maybe you make assumptions about my points that are not true.
I assume you're referring to the "whisper campaign" in the 2000 primaries? If so, I don't think there's any evidence whatsoever that Bush had a hand in it. It's one of those things you'll believe if you're inclined to believe it, however. IE: if you already believe that Karl Rove is the human incarnation of Keyser Soze, then it might follow, but I'd prefer hard evidence, and my understanding is that there isn't any.

Regardless, I don't follow how this translates into a criticism of McCain. You say he "allowed" the characterization to take place. I'm not sure what you mean by this.

And it rather pisses me off that you would make a statement that I have put you into some category. Republican? If so, then maybe you should understand that in an argument such as this, I'm talking about one particular party. I am well aware that people are many things but I am not aware of who you are and what you believe. So you will have to excuse me if I don't like the assumption I have insulted you.
Well, you may not know whether or not I'm a Republican (though I can't imagine I hide the fact all that well ), but certainly you know SOME people are, which would make the generalizations insulting whether they apply to me or not, wouldn't it? I don't object merely because some of these things describe me; it's objectionable anyway, because it makes a very broad statement about a very large group of people.

In other words, I think we can discuss like adults and I think your economic point was a very good one.
I appreciate that. And I agree, we can definitely discuss this with more civility. I'll do my best to keep up my end of things. Thanks for shaking some of the unnecessary confrontationism out of me.

Looooong post coming up. Totally necessary, to do some of these topics justice. Can you tell I care a great deal about economics?

Yoda, I know you're coming back here later -- tomorrow -- but I really want to ask you (and whoever else wants to answer) why are you so seemingly invested in this Republican party? I honestly don't understand it.

If it's economics, I'll stay out of that. I don't understand it all that much (and neither does McCain for that matter), and I have no problem with the belief that we are a society and as a society we can help each other. So I'm not at all on the republican side, but I can see the attraction. I think it is selfish, but I understand it at a certain level.
It is mostly economics, though I don't think such an allegiance can be classified as selfish; at least not in my case. My family grew up poor and is now middle class. I myself, living on my own, would certainly be characterized as poor, though at my age that's probably to be expected.

I'm of the belief (and I feel the data supports this belief) that the best way to increase your average American's standard of living, and our net wealth as a whole, is to encourage business and investment. This is well supported empirically, and jibes with common sense, as well. I'd be glad to elaborate if need be, but if I go any further I'll be diverting from the topic at hand.

Anyway, though there are plenty of exceptions, standard Democratic economic positions generally involve taxing the wealthy more, taxing businesses more, and showing more hostility to free trade than Republican policies. The degree to which this is true largely effects the degree to which I align myself with the Republican party. I do not support Republicans who are hostile to free trade, and I don't have much of a problem with Democrats who are not (Bill Clinton, for example).

I diverge from the Republican party on several social issues, as well, and tend to give most of them far less weight. I am, however, pro-life, which adds to my inclination. There are many other issues, of course (national security chief among them), but they're a little more fluctuating and transient than the ones I've detailed above.

There are, by the by, times when my support of Republicans has an extra edge to it. Usually when I feel that their opponents are going off the deep end. So, when people start comparing Bush to Hitler, I'll gladly admit it has the effect of rallying me to his cause a bit more than it would if they were criticizing him reasonably.

But what I cannot see at this point is why anyone can still support a group of people that have decided we are an imperical force around the world; that we have the right to torture; that we have the right to lie to the American people whenever it suits our needs; that we have the right to do whatever is necessary to get elected, including the bullying of people and telling the voters we will not count votes; that we have the right to do anything necessary to get elected including the villification of homosexuals; that we have the right to break rules in the Senate and in the House in order to make the other party impotent; that we have the right to break the Constitution whenever national security demands it yet we hold the definition of what "national security" even means; and that we have the right to not look after our poor countrymen because it is more important that the pharmaceutical companies and the oil companies make their record profits. They make these profits on the very backs of the middle class.
It probably won't surprise you to hear that I don't grant most of these premises. I don't think the War in Iraq is imperial, as evidenced by the fact that we're already leaving, for one. You may dislike it, and there are many valid reasons for doing so, but summing it up as "imperial" is a gross oversimplification.

I can't possibly respond to the dozen or so things here, so I'll cherry-pick a few for now:

Re: torture. I disagree strongly with the administration's policies here. I think it is done out of a genuine desire for security, which is why I'm not irate about it, but I think it is a misguided policy, and one that McCain opposes, by the way.

Re: the elections. I don't grant the premise that this administration is harassing voters. I think harassment exists, and from what I can see both sides are constantly pointing the finger at the other. I think it probably takes place in any campaign, but I don't seen the slightest sliver of proof to suggest that it tilts towards either party.

Re: Senate and House rules. If you're referring to the "nuclear option" proposed a few years back, let's remember that it didn't actually happen. Why didn't it? Because the "gang of 14" -- of which McCain was one -- reached a compromise. He presciently reminded Republicans that they would not always be in the majority, and that the rules should stay the way they were. As always, Republican loyalists and activists tore him a new one.

Re: oil and prarmaceutical companies. How on earth do they make their profits "on the very backs of the middle class"? By employing them and selling them things? One of my most dramatic points of disagreement with the Democratic party is its insistence on villifying business, and penalizing it as if it's an endless cash register that they can tax into oblivion without consequence.

The reality is that when you make something cost more, you get less of it, and prices go up. If it costs more for drug companies to do business, they research fewer drugs. It is extremely short-sighted to criticize their profit motive, when that motive is the only reason their products exist in the first place. Last I checked, the profit motive was the reason for virtually every medicine and luxury we have.

In other words, conservatives don't believe that profits are more important than people; they believe that you don't usually have to make a choice between the two. This is not to suggest that businesses and individuals never come into conflict with one another, but that they are far more symbiotic than they are adversarial.

I hope that was more detail, Yoda, but truthfully, and sincerely, I honestly don't understand the defense that some give for still wanting a republican administration.
I appreciate the elaboration, but at the same time it's basically a list of 20 statements, most of which I disagree with, and which I cannot possibly answer in any detail without spending hours at the computer. I don't want to short shrift your posts, but I don't think I can respond to every laundry list of accusations, especially when they don't come with any cite, source, or even elaboration.

We all know the President changes his policies when he gets in office. He gets the experience day to day. He changes foreign policy once he learns certain information. We can only vote for the things that get us in our guts -- which candidate shares our values? which candidate really cares about the American people and what we want and need? Which candidate understands how hard it is to pay our bills?
If we're being honest with ourselves, I don't know that any of them understand that. Ironically enough, Palin's probably the least removed from such ordinary concerns, though.

But yes, policies will change. Absolutely. So, I want to know about each candidate's underlying philosophy and -- yes -- experience. If a candidate is grounded in the belief that the free market generally leads to prosperity, then I'm more comfortable with their judgment, malleable though it may be. On the other side, if they usually believe that businesses are some sort of necessary evil, then I'm going to be less comfortable with them.

How can McCain claim that? He's embraced Bush the last few years. He gave up on election reform. He courted the religious right. He makes jokes about bombing Iran. He is willing to send our sons and daughters to war indefinitely. How is it possible that people can support that?
Let's be honest: EVERY candidate is potentially willing to send our sons and daughters to war. The difference lies in when and how, and for how long. McCain has said that he would be willing to maintain an indefinitie PRESENCE in Iraq. A presence is not a war, and in the very quote that is so often taken out of context, he EXPLICITLY makes the distinction. He rightly points out that we have troops all over the world, and that the problem is violence and casualties, not mere presence.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the Palin choice. If I wanted to be totally cynical - and as a New Yorker, it's practically a requirement! - I'd say that the GOP wouldn't allow McCain to have his real first choice, Joe Lieberman, and in typical McCain Angryman fashion, he picked the most obscure alternative - a woman he'd met once before - just to spite them.
Cynical, indeed! I think McCain picked her for a lot of reasons, but it would be comically brash that he would pick someone he didn't even want to spite a portion of the electorate. I don't think it adds up; there's no reason to believe it unless you start with a wild caricature of McCain, and then analyze everything based around that assumption.

The Democratic equivalent would be suggesting that Obama picked Biden because he wants white people to trust him. In both cases, I think the truth is a lot simpler, and less diabolical. Suffice to say, most people reject these sorts of accusations out of hand, and rightly so. And anyone who doesn't...well, let's just say I don't expect to sway them, anyway.

I'll be blunt - John McCain scares me. His temper, his willingness to embrace a man and a political machine that destroyed him in 2000 (Karl Rove, I'm looking at you), and his 180 on so many issues have made me lose all respect for him. I work in Manhattan, and don't feel like having an even bigger target painted on my back, just because McCain loses his temper and decides to, "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran."
The joke was tone deaf, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a joke, either. Anyway, I don't find it any scarier than Obama randomly suggesting we invade Pakistan, or downplaying the importance of Iran because he doesn't think it's as dangerous as the Soviet Union was. If careless statements are what decide your vote, then you'd have to abstain. But of course, we latch onto these statements when the other guy makes them, and ignore them when our guy does, right? That's the way it always seems to go.

Sorry for posting so many times in a row. I kinda have to, replying to various people and all that...

In this case I'm for Obama all the way. McCain wants to keep us in a land war for fifty years. This land war is part of why the economy sucks.
I don't know of much economic basis for this claim. Nor do I know of McCain making any statement saying he "wants to keep us in a land war for fifty years." He made the comment that he'd be willing to maintain a troop presence indefinitely, provided there was no violence and no casualties, however. That's quite a different thing, though I've seen many people utterly abuse the comment.

As for Palin's 17 year old being pregnant. That's what happens when you teach abstinence and no birth or disease control. That's also what happens when you try to control your kids too much.
This is quite a bold claim; do you honestly have any direct knowledge of how the Palin family raised their daughter? Regardless, I don't think anyone who supports teaching abstinence makes the claim that it will result in absolutely no pregnancies. Her daughter's pregnancy is no more a valid argument against teaching abstinence than a teenager with an STD is an argument against teaching safe sex.

For the record, I don't support the teaching of abstinence in school. Not because I think it's a bad thing to teach, but because as currently taught, it hasn't been shown to be effective.

My understanding is that he didn't even vet her. There are lots of bad things about how corrupt she is and her bad policy issues that will come out should the media wish to bother with it.
I'd like to see some kind of source on this, if possible. I was following her career before the announcement, and have been studying it more intently since, and I don't know how one could reasonably characterize her as corrupt. To the contrary, we have several very prominent examples of her taking on corruption, and finding vindication afterwards, which I'd be happy to detail.

As for vetting; perhaps we read different things. My understanding is that she was vetted, though not as thoroughly as some of the other candidates, and that they knew some of the issues which have come out since the announcement. Not sure what to make of that last sentence, either; last I checked the media was FLOODING the news cycle with stories about all this.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
How can one complain about her experience without drawing attention to Obama.
Exactly. I find the decision to pick her rather curious indeed. It is all about courting the religious. Holden said it so well!

Also all this "Bush" is at fault for everything stance is quite the same, The House and The Senate count for something.
Not sure what you could possibly mean here, but the truth is, Bush was the type of President where he and his people made pretty damn sure there wasn't a Republican in the Senate that stepped out of bounds and didn't support his policies. He's a tyrant.

Also, and Yoda mentioned this, the last two years there has been a very slim Dem majority in Congress and it takes a while for any party to get done what they want done. The Republican Congress has cared for nothing more than keeping all of their members in line and making sure that laws were passed that only suited the desires of people in their party. They showed callous disregard for anyone who disagreed with them.

Obama supports some of Bush's policies and ideas also:

OBAMA’S SUPPORT FOR BUSH/CHENEY ENERGY POLICY
Sen. Obama voted for the 2005 Energy Bill, written in secret by Vice President Cheney and the energy lobby. Thomas Friedman referred to the bill as “the sum of all lobbies.” U.S. PIRG noted that the bill’s “heavy tilt toward big oil companies reflects the influence of Exxon Mobil and other oil companies on policy-makers in Washington, DC.”
The Washington Post editorialized that the bill was a “piñata of perks for energy industries.” Indeed, the bill contained $6 billion in subsidies to the oil and gas industry and $12 billion to the nuclear power industry.
Although Sen. Obama voted for the legislation, he has spoken as if he opposed it on the campaign trail, criticizing it repeatedly. At a presidential debate he said “You can look at how Dick Cheney did his energy policy…he met with oil and gas companies forty times, and that’s how they put together our energy policy.” He’s attributed the failure of our current energy policy to Congress’s “failure to stand up to the lobbyists.”
Sen. Obama’s rhetoric blasting the policies of Vice President Dick Cheney and energy lobbyists can be stirring. But Obama’s actions haven’t matched his words.
Not sure what this proves except to prove that Cheney's energy policy is a horrible one when it comes to what people have to pay for energy. Cheney is a Republican, right? Obama said the policy had allowed for huge investments in renewable energy. In retrospect, I'm sure Obama would probably change his vote. I get the feeling he thought it was all he could do faced against the powerful oil lobby in this county, who is courted and supported by the Republican party.

To be honest, I disagree with Obama quite often, once being extremely angry with him when he came onto a Democratic Blog and chastised us all for being so angry over the Dems confirmation of Alito. I called the Dems chickenshits and they were. Obama had his reasons and defended them; he was also of a mind of working across the aisle -- something I think the Republicans ruined years ago when they proved they would do no such thing.

President Bush and his cronies in Congress made it very clear they only cared about those that supported them. The rest of us didn't matter. I've never seen some cynical disregard from one party to the other in my entire life. Most Presidents at least act like they care about all Americans. Not this bunch.

BTW: I am not 100 percent decided just leaning heavily. I will listen to the debates and go from there. I want everyone to know that I respect their opinions and I think no matter what way it goes this will still be one of the greatest countries on Earth.
Remember the fall of Rome? It imploded from corruption and arrogance. It can happen again.

What bothers me the most is that I feel this country has gone down a path that goes against our very core principles and those of our founding fathers. This is just a sampling of what Thomas Jefferson once said:

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.

Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

I hope all here that even think about voting for McCain think long and hard about it. The last 8 years has been disastrous and for 6 of those years it was ALL the Republican party. The Republicans once stood for many things I agree with but this is not my father's Republican party. I believe they are, at this point in time, a party that has lost sight of what they were about. It all started in 1992 when they cyncially felt they had to court the religious right to get elected. It's gone all down hill from there....

Yoda, just a few notes to respond to you:

We saw a very good economy in the 1990s, under a Democratic President. Your economic argument holds no water. There is no reason to believe that Democrats do not support business and investment. That argument is almost as old as I am.

"Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" is not even a joke. It's more than tone deaf. It shows callous disregard for all the men and women who have died. But then again, we have a President who doesn't even go to funerals. Obviously, McCain doesn't seem to care either. Which is really surprising when he once stood up against the idea of just randomly sending our citizens to war. To be honest, this was the moment that I knew this once POW had jumped the shark and was no longer the man I had once admired.

Karl Rove is the master of dirty tricks and if you don't know that, I have no idea what to say. And of course, Bush knew it. McCain was so angry he pushed Bush aside. Of course, politics prevailed and many years later he was hugging the guy. I wonder how his wife felt? But no matter, this is a somewhat petty argument but what is important here is my overriding feeling that McCain is NOT the maverick the press and/or others want him to be. He toed the line. He gave up his integrity.

My ex-husband is a republican. I live in a rural county, surrounded by them. I have voted republican. But I do not apologize for talking about the Republican "party" as a party -- there is no other way to describe them. And it is this party that I am dead-set against based on their recent track record. If you are a party loyalist, then I guess I am criticizing you on some level and lumping you into a group. But you are the one that is supporting the party.

I make emotional arguments because I am emotional about what has happened the last 8 years. Imo, we should all be more emotional about it. Those that aren't maybe don't care. I do. I actually believe this country is not acting in a manner that is consistent with our founding principles. That can make some people angry. And about using stark language, I've tiptoed around this stuff and I asked myself the question, why? I don't think we should be! This is an extremely important election. The most important in my lifetime, imo.

BTW, you used "stark" language also -- are you saying Obama thinks businesses are "evil"? Ahem...

I don't want to make an assumption about you, Yoda, but what really bothers me is loyalty to party over country. Loyalty to some idealogy that isn't even in the game anymore. The Dems are no longer "tax and spend," it's more complicated than that. And the Republicans have proven that they not only believe in free market, they believe in it so much the middle class is suffering! And their "idelogy" about foreign policy should concern every American. It sure as hell worries those not in America -- traveling abroad you have to be careful not to say you support Bush (Republican) because if you do, it will not be very pleasant. Many people say "so what." I think we should care about what others think of us.

And thanks for the response.

Uhoh, sorry for the next post, but it seems I missed a few things Yoda said:

I won't repeat my argument about the economy here. I believe you put the Democrats into a category that is no longer viable. Dems are not anti-business and for the life of me, I have no idea why that argument even still exists. Over the years, it has come down to a compromise and Clinton ushered in a more conservative economic policy that old-style Dems could embrace.

Re: the elections. I don't grant the premise that this administration is harassing voters. I think harassment exists, and from what I can see both sides are constantly pointing the finger at the other. I think it probably takes place in any campaign, but I don't seen the slightest sliver of proof to suggest that it tilts towards either party.
Go back to Florida in 2000. Republicans bullied the voters. Bush didn't want to count the votes. That alone should have turned the country against him.

Re: Senate and House rules. If you're referring to the "nuclear option" proposed a few years back, let's remember that it didn't actually happen. Why didn't it? Because the "gang of 14" -- of which McCain was one -- reached a compromise. He presciently reminded Republicans that they would not always be in the majority, and that the rules should stay the way they were. As always, Republican loyalists and activists tore him a new one.
Exactly. Good for McCain, but this is an example of this current Republican party under Bush. Of course, there were many other times when rules were thrown away just to make sure that bi-partisanship died.

Re: oil and prarmaceutical companies. How on earth do they make their profits "on the very backs of the middle class"? By employing them and selling them things? One of my most dramatic points of disagreement with the Democratic party is its insistence on villifying business, and penalizing it as if it's an endless cash register that they can tax into oblivion without consequence.

The reality is that when you make something cost more, you get less of it, and prices go up. If it costs more for drug companies to do business, they research fewer drugs. It is extremely short-sighted to criticize their profit motive, when that motive is the only reason their products exist in the first place. Last I checked, the profit motive was the reason for virtually every medicine and luxury we have.

In other words, conservatives don't believe that profits are more important than people; they believe that you don't usually have to make a choice between the two. This is not to suggest that businesses and individuals never come into conflict with one another, but that they are far more symbiotic than they are adversarial.
Since when did Democrats say they don't believe in profits? What they don't believe in is having such record profits that people cannot afford to drive their car or buy health care. And once again, you are arguing that somehow Democrats villify business. They believe it should be more reasonable. And it can be -- universal health care in other countries works just fine.

I should stop now... I've responded too much already.

I know fundie religious types because I am one (well, as much of one as a Northern Fundie can be). Someone once accused me of tarring many people with the same brush, when I told them that many/most of my Southern fundie friends actually believe that God requires I vote Republican. God. I kid you not.

And though we agree on many scary things, in scary ways that might (well...do) scare a lot of people I know (e.g. pro-life, anti-gay marriage, freedom of religion etc.), we seriously diverge over political party/ideals.

What I dont understand about their slavish devotion to Palin is that she is the very Antithesis of the woman they teach you to be - an at home housewife.

Yes, Fundie Extreme Right Republican, I mean YOU: you've contradicted yourself. Why cant you see that?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Sorry for posting so many times in a row. I kinda have to, replying to various people and all that...

1.) I don't know of much economic basis for this claim. Nor do I know of McCain making any statement saying he "wants to keep us in a land war for fifty years." He made the comment that he'd be willing to maintain a troop presence indefinitely, provided there was no violence and no casualties, however. That's quite a different thing, though I've seen many people utterly abuse the comment.

2.) This is quite a bold claim; do you honestly have any direct knowledge of how the Palin family raised their daughter? Regardless, I don't think anyone who supports teaching abstinence makes the claim that it will result in absolutely no pregnancies. Her daughter's pregnancy is no more a valid argument against teaching abstinence than a teenager with an STD is an argument against teaching safe sex.

3.) For the record, I don't support the teaching of abstinence in school. Not because I think it's a bad thing to teach, but because as currently taught, it hasn't been shown to be effective.

4.) I'd like to see some kind of source on this, if possible. I was following her career before the announcement, and have been studying it more intently since, and I don't know how one could reasonably characterize her as corrupt. To the contrary, we have several very prominent examples of her taking on corruption, and finding vindication afterwards, which I'd be happy to detail.

5.) As for vetting; perhaps we read different things. My understanding is that she was vetted, though not as thoroughly as some of the other candidates, and that they knew some of the issues which have come out since the announcement. 6.)Not sure what to make of that last sentence, either; last I checked the media was FLOODING the news cycle with stories about all this.
1.) How can the war and the economy not be tied together? I'm no political scholar but I've watched the economy get worse and worse while we get more and more involved in the war.

Maintaining a "presence" is different from continuing a land war. The bottom line here is do we trust this main to do the one and not the other?

2.) I have no direct evidence of family relations other than the nasty scandal involving the BIL. I was guessing that someone as conservative as the candidate is would teach abstinence, not in school, I believe they homeschool anyway, but as a family.

3.) I personally think teaching abstinence has been a very damaging thing to many young people. I have my own life experiences as well as those of many of my friends to draw examples from. I don't plan to share them here though.

It was not my intention to argue whether it should be taught in schools or not. I'd say no though, because as you say it doesn't work and I think it is damaging as I said.

4.) This was my source.

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/0...s-perspective/

5.) You are right, she was vetted after a fashion just not, IMO, very thoroughly.

6. Yes, news stories are flooding but not much of it has shown what she has really done in Alaska that's negative. At least I haven't seen any so far.

Then again, I tend to avoid most televised so called news. They are selling an atmosphere of fear. I prefer to read the news that I do care about.

Not sure what this proves except to prove that Cheney's energy policy is a horrible one when it comes to what people have to pay for energy. ...
It was horrible, so why did he come aboard? He was forced? Well that is even worse than agreeing with it.

You and I both know darn well that Obama has agreed with many other of Bush's policies. It would be silly to list them here, but if you would like I will.

Personally, if the sole reason that she was picked was because she is a woman, I would find that offensive, and dare say, sexist! I supported Hillary, not because of her gender, because I agreed with her on the issues, and Obama does share a good deal of the same. Is Obama perfect? Hell no! Neither is McCain, Palin, or anyone who has ever ran for the Presidency. I admit, Palin has a good story and at least a decent personality, unfortunately that doesn't mean she holds the same views as Hillary, or her supporters do.

...uh the post is up there...

It was horrible, so why did he come aboard? He was forced? Well that is even worse than agreeing with it.

You and I both know darn well that Obama has agreed with many other of Bush's policies. It would be silly to list them here, but if you would like I will.
You ask, "so why did he come aboard?" I answered you, but you cut that part out of your quote. If you're going to discuss like that, then I gather we don't have much to discuss.

I also stated that I didn't always agree with Obama. I don't feel he stood up to the republicans enough. I stated that, too. And it doesn't really matter if he's supported some of Bush's policies, there would be no way I could support McCain because of the two men, he has supported Bush more. Obama represents a change to me. How well that change turns out, neither I or you can say. But McCain is more of the same and of a party I no longer respect (I think I have made that clear, lol). I honestly do not get your point.

Besides, I look forward to a President who can put words and sentences together eloquently. A President that I may not agree with all the time, but a President I might be proud to have as leader of my country. And not a man who makes insensitive jokes. It's been a while.

You ask, "so why did he come aboard?" I answered you, but you cut that part out of your quote. If you're going to discuss like that, then I gather we don't have much to discuss.
Okay, but I was highlighting that part of it because the idea of him being "forced" or having no other option makes him seem kind of weak to me. If you disagree with something and vote along party lines to appease, then you are nothing more than a figurehead.

We saw a very good economy in the 1990s, under a Democratic President. Your economic argument holds no water.
I'm not sure how you can make this statement after reading my post on the matter. I specifically listed Bill Clinton as an exception to most Democratic tax policies. He enacted many supply-side policies, and was an ardent free-trader. He signed NAFTA, for example -- over the objection of many in his own party, by the way. It divided both parties to a degree, but more than 3 times as many Democrats in the House voted against it than Republicans. The ratio was almost 3-1 in the Senate, as well.

If you want to make the case that my "economic argument holds no water," go right ahead. But if that statement is based simply on the fact that we saw growth under a Democratic President, then I think you have significantly misrepresented my position.
There is no reason to believe that Democrats do not support business and investment.
Their current nominee has suggested that oil companies are making too much money, and therefore anything above a certain amount should be seized. He has also suggested that we renegotiate NAFTA, despite the fact that it's been an unmitigiated success and is largely responsible for the growth in the 90s you mentioned above. He has suggested that we raise taxes on the wealthy. He has suggested we raise the capital gains tax.

How does one conclude that these policies are not openly hostile towards business and investment? What WOULD be? Opening fire?

Let's have a debate here. You say there is "no reason to believe that Democrats do not support business and investment." But why? I find myself responding to statements. Let's hear arguments. I've layed mine out above.
"Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" is not even a joke. It's more than tone death. It shows callous disregard for all the men and women who have died.
I'm not sure how one argues with simple declarations like this. Though I do wonder why there isn't similar outrage for Obama's statements about Pakistan and Iran, too. They might not make for good soundbites, but they're every bit as callous, and don't even have the hint that they might have been meant in jest.

And to say that McCain has a disregard for the military...wow. Good luck selling that. I don't think you'll find a buyer.
But then again, we have a President who doesn't even go to funerals.
This is an awfully shallow criticism. Should he cherry-pick the ones he goes to? What does he say to the families of the ones he doesn't attend? This is one of those subjects that there is no right answer to. And it's the kind of shot you only take if you already don't like the guy. Fact is, from what I've read no President has attended more than a tiny fraction of military funerals. By the by, I did read an article which mentioned that he has met with many of these families in private. It's not as showy as going to funerals, and it was barely reported.

Anyway, I don't want to get bogged down in these side-arguments, but every time we reach a point of contention you throw out these asides. It'd be as if everytime I criticized Obama on something, I tossed our some inflammatory thing about Rev. Wright. Let's argue about what we're arguing about.
Karl Rove is the master of dirty tricks and if you don't know that, I have no idea what to say. And of course, Bush knew it. He was so angry he pushed Bush aside.
I know he's accused of dirty tricks all the time, basically none of which are ever proven. The accusations are enough to make me wonder, but not enough for me to even pretend it's some sort of established fact, as you have. You can't make all sorts of accusations based on rumor and then tell me it constitutes an argument.
Of course, politics prevailed and many years later he was hugging the guy. I wonder how his wife felt? But no matter, this is a somewhat petty argument but what is important here is my overriding feeling that McCain is NOT the maverick the press and/or others want him to be. He toed the line. He gave up his integrity.
Depends on how narrowly you define "maverick" then, doesn't it? Based on what you're saying, you seem to disqualify anyone who agrees with their party or even makes overtures to people they've disagreed with, no matter how many times they've stood alone on principle. I think that's a pretty odd definition, though, partially because such a person has obviously never existed.
You know, Obama has called the decision to go to war with Iraq the "most important foreign policy decision of the last 20 years." His opposition to it (though he didn't have a vote at the time, as he was only a State Senator) is the basis for his entire candidacy. And yet he chose someone who voted for it. Did "politics" prevail there, too?
My ex-husband is a republican. I live in a rural county, surrounded by them. I have voted republican. But I do not apologize for talking about the Republican "party" as a party -- there is no other way to describe them. And it is this party that I am dead-set against based on their recent track record. If you are a party loyalist, then I guess I am criticizing you on some level and lumping you into a group. But you are the one that is supporting the party.
I am supporting certain candidates. I am not voting straight ticket, nor would I dream of defending some of the loonies on the far-right. Like the Democratic party, the Republican party contains many different people of many different viewpoints. That's what happens when you have a two-party system in such a large country: both parties contain so many people that two people can be in the same group, and be quite different.

The Republican party has included both Pat Robertson and Steve Forbes. Both Tom Ridge and Jesse Helms. It's all over the place, just like the Democratic party. To dismiss the entire party because you don't like what Bush has done just doesn't make sense. This should be about the candidates: their beliefs, their judgment, and their qualifications.
I make emotional arguments because I am emotional about what has happened the last 8 years. Imo, we should all be more emotional about it. Those that aren't maybe don't care. I do. I actually believe this country is not acting in a manner that is consistent with our founding principles. That can make some people angry. And about using stark language, I've tiptoed around this stuff and I asked myself the question, why? I don't think we should be! This is an extremely important election. The most important in my lifetime, imo.
See, I have no problem with this. You're being upfront about your reasons, and I respect that. But, like I said, reason and logic still have to have their day, and reasonable people should be able to agree that -- even when emotion is justified -- it invariably clouds our views. It has certainly clouded these arguments, in my opinion. Without the extreme anger you feel, I expect they would unfold quite differently. But because of it, most of these posts contain small asides and jabs that don't advance an idea or argument. Indeed, they seem to serve no purpose other than to allow you to vent.

You're entitled to vent, of course, but these things are not persuasive, nor should they be.
BTW, you used "stark" language also -- are you saying Obama thinks businesses are "evil"? Ahem...
No. As is fairly clear in my post, I was speaking generically, and even then I used the phrase "necessary evil." Anyway, you can use stark language if you want. Sometimes, it's justified. But you won't catch me using such language without a perfectly calm, rational explanation of why I believe it, either. And I'll usually reserve my starkest language for disagreeable ideas, and not people.
I don't want to make an assumption about you, Yoda, but what really bothers me is loyalty to party over country. Loyalty to some idealogy that isn't even in the game anymore. The Dems are no longer "tax and spend," it's more complicated than that. And the Republicans have proven that they not only believe in free market, they believe in it so much the middle class is suffering!
What Republican economic policy has caused the middle class to suffer? What about the free market has done this to them? Last I checked, our economy was horrendously bound by regulation on any number of fronts.

Anyway, I didn't oversimplify the Democratic position, or even use the phrase "tax and spend." You're right, it's a lot more complicated than that. That's my point about Republicans, too: it's ALL more complicated than you're saying.

And, again, if you say you value a politician who puts country over party, I don't see how you come down on Obama's side. It is easly demonstrable that McCain has bucked his party on many major issues, whereas Obama has rarely done so, and when he has, it has been on fairly tame issues with plenty of Democratic defections. Exactly the sort of thing you do when running for President.

Since you raised the "tax and spend" line, though, I have to ask why it's inappropriate when the Democratic nominee for President is proposing we spend buckets of money on healthcare (even by his certainly modest projections), and do this by increasing taxes? This isn't "tax and spend"?

And their "idelogy" about foreign policy should concern every American. It sure as hell worries those not in America -- traveling abroad you have to be careful not to say you support Bush (Republican) because if you do, it will not be very pleasant. Many people say "so what." I think we should care about what others think of us.
Of course we should care what other people think of us. The point of disagreement lies in whether we should care enough to let it influence (or outright dictate) our policies to us.

Personally, I think this is just another one of those issues that only comes up if you dislike the President. If you like the guy, it's just an example of how bold and brave he is to go it alone. If you don't, it makes him arrogant and inconsiderate. The overwhelming majority of complaints leveled at this administration are the kind of thing each party invariably overlooks in their own standard-bearers.

And thanks for the response.
Thanks for your patience! I might need to make use of it again, though, depending on how many replies I find myself having to reply to, of course.

I won't repeat my argument about the economy here. I believe you put the Democrats into a category that is no longer viable. Dems are not anti-business and for the life of me, I have no idea why that argument even still exists. Over the years, it has come down to a compromise and Clinton ushered in a more conservative economic policy that old-style Dems could embrace.
Could, but haven't. Obama's economic policies are dramatically different fron the ones Clinton enacted.
Go back to Florida in 2000. Republicans bullied the voters. Bush didn't want to count the votes. That alone should have turned the country against him.
We've heard these things before, and I refuse to believe you haven't heard the standard, obvious responses: we counted the votes again, and again. It was going to stop at some point, and as long as that point had Bush winning, people would say things like the above.

And if we're just flinging partisan accusations, then I could say the Democrats wanted to "count every vote...and then some!" Over-counting has exactly the same effect and level of disenfranchisement as under-counting.

There are independent studies which conclude Bush won fair and square. I'm sure you can find some that say Gore did, too. Accusations of abuse are rampant on both sides of the aisle, because it ALWAYS takes place. To ignore all of this conflicting evidence and simply choose to believe that the party you already didn't like is the sole offender just doesn't make sense. And it sure isn't an argument.

This isn't talk radio. I am not Rush Limbaugh. I'm not interested in trading declarations and seeing who can use the most extreme language as a means of supporting their accusations. If this is your idea of an argument, then I say with no malice that I am simply not interested.
Exactly. Good for McCain, but this is an example of this current Republican party under Bush.
...and an example of McCain putting country before party, showing respect for the minority party even though he did not have to, and standing up to Republicans for what he thought was right. You say "good for McCain," but then you continually dismiss MAJOR acts of political bravery like this because he "hugged Bush." How does that make sense? Why is it that when Obama does something you don't like, you simply guess that he regrets it and move on, but when McCain does, it's unforgivable and immediately wipes out all of his incredible bipartisanship?
Of course, there were many other times when rules were thrown away just to make sure that bi-partisanship died.
What are you referring to?
Since when did Democrats say they don't believe in profits?
I didn't say anything of the sort.
What they don't believe in is having such record profits that people cannot afford to drive their car or buy health care.
I'm not sure I see the logic here. If your company is making a lot of profit, and other people are struggling...you should be allowed to simply take the profit? I don't see how one makes this leap from "people are struggling" to "you no longer are entitled to the money you have from selling things to said people." Don't you have to demonstrate that the company is breaking the rules, or at least wronging people? Why do so many of the Democrats I talk to simply point at the profits as if that were a self-justifying argument for seizing them?
And once again, you are arguing that somehow Democrats villify business. They believe it should be more reasonable.
Depends on your definition of "reasonable," then. I don't think it's reasonable to point to an entire industry and simply declare that any profit over a certain amount can simply be seized. I see no logical stopping point between this policy and its application to any other industry or individual.

As for villification, consider this: in a debate with Hillary Clinton during the primaries, Obama was posed an interesting question about his proposal to raise capital gains taxes. The moderator pointed out that, at times, lowering the capital gains tax rate can actually INCREASE the amount of revenue it takes in. Obama was asked whether it, therefore, might not make sense to raise the rate, as it might provide the government with less money anyway. He said that perhaps it should be raised anyway, because of "fairness." Does it sound reasonable to you that we consider taxing things more, even if it brings in less money, to enact some sort of social justice?

And it can be -- universal health care in other countries works just fine.
I don't quite see how we went from business to healthcare. I realize that every aspect of the economy is irrevocably linked to basically every other, but I don't see the connection here.

As far as healthcare goes, it depends on what you mean by "works." It works in the sense that we are technically capable of providing it, sure. But it isn't free -- not by a long shot. There is a direct and serious tradeoff between public programs of this scope and size, and the nation's prosperity. You'll notice our biggest hurdles with spending are almost entirely caused by massive, inflated entitlement programs. You don't see any problem with creating another? Does it concern you that a smaller, similar version of Obama's plan was attempted in Massachusetts, and ended up costing twice what was projected?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
How does bringing the boy that impregnated your unmarried 17 year old to the GOP convention make any sense?

From what I understand her speech last night was "electrifying" for the ultra conservative white men and woman.

For the rest of us it was absolutely stomach turning and shows us yet another reason to vote Democratic in this election. We didn't need another reason but thanks so much Sarah Palin.

How does bringing the boy that impregnated your unmarried 17 year old to the GOP convention make any sense?

From what I understand her speech last night was "electrifying" for the ultra conservative white men and woman.

For the rest of us it was absolutely stomach turning and shows us yet another reason to vote Democratic in this election. We didn't need another reason but thanks so much Sarah Palin.

Actually I thought it was a decent speech, not "electrifying", but certainly not stomach turning by any means.

As far as the barbs, by so many, of her having an unwed pregnant daughter and bringing the father to the convention:

1. The "unwed" thing. Nearly half 45 to 48 percent of children are born out of wedlock in the last few years. THIS DOES INCLUDE DEMS!!!!

2. Morale...........Ya know what?? NM...nothing I can say will make a diff'. so drink that koolaid ..It is tough to debate with those who are blind...Yep.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm about as anti-warmongering and anti-NRA (rightly or wrongly - I just hate guns and death on general principles), but I will repeat here that her speech was one of the best of this political season. I've thrown up literally over what Bush & Co. have done this century, but that speech last night did little negative for me than have me yell out once or twice at the TV. It was, for the most part, the highlight of maybe even both conventions, and I thought that Hillary probably gave her best ever speech, Billy Boy was right on target and Obama came across as a Lost Patriarch, ergo, the Conservative Base now makes even more fun of him by calling him "Apollo" and wondering if he's gonna part the "Potomac" since he can already apparently part the "Red Sea".

Politics is something to be concerned about, but you must remember, it WILL ALWAYS be politics.

You ready? You look ready.
My gramps likened Obama to Hitler the last time I discussed the current election. I think it's safe to say I shouldn't bring the subject up with him again.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza