The Election News and Predictions Thread

Tools    

Being able to criticize what others say while utilizing their freedom of speech is also freedom of speech. Most verbal expressions are protected under the 1st amendment, but that doesn't mean we can't still identify when they are tasteless, baseless, inappropriate or rude.
Him using his influence as President-elect to suppress freedom of speech, is not freedom of speech. Cause and effect Captain'.

Him using his influence as President-elect to suppress freedom of speech, is not freedom of speech. Cause and effect Captain'.
Is that what he did?
Saying someone deserves an apology when treated rudely (on the joke that is "Twitter" no less) is using Presidential power to suppress freedom of speech?

Is that what he did?
Saying someone deserves an apology when treated rudely (on the joke that is "Twitter" no less) is using Presidential power to suppress freedom of speech?
Hes being irresponsible with his position. Why should they apologize? Why is he right to demand an apology? Hm?

Is he right or wrong to demand an apology, and why?

A President needs to be above, 'letting it all hang out' and saying what ever pops into his head. If I was in Trump shoes, I wouldn't have bothered to comment on private citizens criticizing the vice-president.

If I was President and directly asked about the theater incident by a reporter, I would have taken the high road and said, "We're all entitled to our opinions and my opinion is I disagree with the theater performers, I feel Mike Pence is a great choice for Vice President." That is being presidential! not the show of immaturity Trump gave.

Hes being irresponsible with his position. Why should they apologize? Why is he right to demand an apology? Hm?

Is he right or wrong to demand an apology, and why?
I'll agree he should stay off Twitter. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen...
"It's 5:50. I texted while on the toilet this morning, now I'm eating a sandwich."

Who cares? People tweeting about going to the bathroom and such? WTF?
When did the world become like this? (Reminds me of your Moby video you posted on the YouTube thread - I really liked that. And so true to life with the masses of cell-phone zombies).

Back on topic - I do agree Trump should stop tweeting, stop commenting on random stuff, stop voicing opinions on things that are at the "local level" (we had enough of that with Obama - criticizing police, poisoning jury pools by claiming people must be innocent of crimes because they have the same skin color as his son - if he had one, and dividing the country with his jump-to-conclusions-before-knowing-the-facts racial bias).
None of this is Presidential behavior. Trump needs to show the world that he's ready to start putting all his attention on much larger, more important issues.

Social media explodes over 'Hamilton'/Trump duel

Not since Ford's Theater has so much furor erupted from a politician attending a play.

With Vice President-elect Mike Pence, an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage who has supported diverting federal funding from HIV and AIDS groups to conversion therapy, seated in the audience for Friday night's performance of Hamilton, certain lines resonated even more than usual.

Audience member Christy Colburn tweeted that when Alexander Hamiton and the Marquis de Lafayette quipped, "Immigrants, we get the job done during The Battle of Yorktown, the crowd gave them a standing ovation. And later, during the song What Comes Next?, King George III actor Rory O'Malley had to stop the song briefly after the crowd "went nuts" at the line "When your people say they hate you, don't come crawling back to me" and ask them to stop booing.

By now, you've likely seen the video from the curtain call, when Brandon Dixon, who plays Aaron Burr, addressed Pence on behalf of "diverse Americans who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us" and asked the vice president-elect to "uphold our inalienable rights and work on behalf of all of us."

President-elect Donald Trump demanded the cast apologize for harassing Pence, but by all accounts, both Dixon and the vice president-elect were respectful of one another. In fact, Dixon even thanked the Indiana governor for listening to what he had to say.

Even creator Lin-Manuel Miranda weighed in during a break from doing Moana interviews in the U.K., complimenting the cast for how they handled the situation and agreeing with Trump that everyone should be welcome at the theater.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...sTu?li=BBnb7Kz

Very informative - short - video:

Coolio-I do to some degree understand people being annoyed by PC,but at them same time hes talking about sexism and rascism-none of which he has to deal with.
Im fine with things being overly pc,rather that than none, i think things will even itself out-because PC will help banish those things from each generation and so it wont be needed in the same exent anymore some glorious day.Also things come and go in circles,our attitudes,clothes,looks on life is all down to whats in fashion atm

I do want to calm people who are worried about Trump by reminding them that the President is not all-powerful. The office is supposed to be balanced and kept in check by the three branches of government.
The President is largely a figurehead position.

The Congress; the House, the Senate and even the Supreme Court are not omnipotent political entities since the government itself is actually run by the co-unification network of:
1. The Shadow Underground
2. The Illuminati
3. The Reptilians
and
4. AA (the Alien Alliance)

Coolio-I do to some degree understand people being annoyed by PC,but at them same time hes talking about sexism and rascism-none of which he has to deal with.
Im fine with things being overly pc,rather that than none,

Don't think i agree with PC banishing ill thoughts in nations and whatever hahaha. But yeah i think this part of your comment was spot on.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I prefer free speech than PC - which is usually conformist depending on how the wind is blowing. It's usually guilt-ridden, an empty gesture, since a word or two is easy, while REAL change is difficult. If you have conviction, go all the way, don't wait at the 50-yard line waiting to see who is still there with you.

Clinton's Popular-Vote Lead Now Stands at 1.5 Million—and It's Growing

This chart has been making the rounds on Twitter these past few days:

Donald Trump didn’t actually flip many Democrats, the thinking goes. Instead, Hillary Clinton failed to turn out liberal voters who had previously voted for Barack Obama. It’s a tempting narrative for smarting progressives, as it maintains status quo thinking—Clinton’s unlikable!—and removes any culpability on the part of the Democrats for missing a massive shift in the electorate. In other words, it’s Clinton’s fault, not theirs, that Trump won the presidency.

Unfortunately, that graph is missing something important. (And not just a properly scaled y-axis.) The numbers that came out on Election Night were enough to secure Trump the presidency, but they weren’t complete. State officials are still counting millions of provisional and absentee ballots, and within two weeks, Clinton will likely have another few million votes in the bank.

Most were cast in the Clinton-leaning states of California, Washington, and New York—not swing states—so they won’t change the Electoral College. But there’s a sufficient amount to put her within striking distance of Obama’s 2012 turnout, and help put an end to the argument that she simply didn’t work hard enough.

“We probably have about 7 million votes left to count,” said David Wasserman, an editor at Cook Political Report who is tracking turnout. “A majority of them are on the coasts, in New York, California, and Washington. She should be able to win those votes, probably 2-1.” By mid-December, when the Electoral College officially casts its ballots, Wasserman estimates that Clinton could be ahead by 2 percentage points in the popular vote.

What’s with the delay? Several states, notably California and Washington, have liberal absentee and mail-in voting laws. California, for instance, allows residents to submit ballots up to three days late (although they must be postmarked on or before Election Day). These provisions have made alternative voting pretty popular, and the ballots a bit harder to count. California alone has more than 4 million votes pending; Washington is waiting on another 700,000.

This has happened before. David Leip is the one-man band behind The Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections, a website cataloging vote totals all the way back to the early days of the Republic. He remembers seeing much of the same vote-counting hysteria after Election Day in 2012, when it appeared Obama would fall far short of his 2008 total. “They did the same thing—‘Oh my goodness, look at all those missing votes,’” he said. From the numbers he’s seeing, California is due for a record turnout, and possibly other states are as well. It’s too soon to tell, he cautions, if Clinton’s total haul, which sat at 63.6 million as of the morning of November 20, will match or surpass the 66 million votes Obama received in 2012.

But let’s be clear: While these uncounted votes may grow Clinton’s popular lead, they absolutely will not change the course of the election. That math is settled; Trump holds an insurmountable lead in swing states, which turned his popular defeat into a sizable electoral victory. All the votes in liberal-leaning New York and California will not change that.

However, these ballots will knock the legs out beneath the argument that Clinton failed to mobilize Democrats. Yes, she’s no Obama in 2008. (Neither was Obama in 2012.) But county-by-county results indicate Democratic voters flipped for Trump, not that they stayed home. “We just saw massive shifts in the industrial midwest from ’12 to ’16, and those are the same voters,” Wasserman said. This is the conclusion Democrats must face, and in the absence of other data, it’s the one they’ll have to live with.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...AEM?li=BBnb7Kz

Good response:

I do not understand how there is not a media manager or someone like that in charge of Trump's Twitter to ensure that what he says is consistent with the position of the people around him. It's like the rigging comments where Pence said that the election being rigged referred to how the media displayed biased and attempted to sway the election one way, and then a few hours later Trump comes out and says he believes that votes are actually rigged in a much more literal sense. I am not sure how they, and a team of people are not in communication to make sure undermining/contradictions don't occur. Then again, Trump saying whatever he feels like hasn't done him much harm so far...

I do not understand how there is not a media manager or someone like that in charge of Trump's Twitter to ensure that what he says is consistent with the position of the people around him. It's like the rigging comments where Pence said that the election being rigged referred to how the media displayed biased and attempted to sway the election one way, and then a few hours later Trump comes out and says he believes that votes are actually rigged in a much more literal sense. I am not sure how they, and a team of people are not in communication to make sure undermining/contradictions don't occur. Then again, Trump saying whatever he feels like hasn't done him much harm so far...
There will be more of the same.

Pence: "We will attempt to put a greater focus on travelers who have not yet been thoroughly vetted and coming from countries that export terrorism with increased oversight of our Visa systems and a more strategically-based national security to provide a more fair, and at the same time, more secure set of standards for everyone wishing to legally enter our country."

Trump: "I don't care if it's winter and you're coming from Siberia - if you're wearing a head scarf you're not getting in this country. Uh-uh! Nada! No way Hussein!"

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Trump did something that I truly hoped he would. He turned down the Presidential salary. He is the fourth President to do so. Washington tried to turn it down, but he was made to take it. I can understand their reasons for doing so, unless they already have lots of money. That's exactly why the next President refused it. President Hoover gave his salary away to charity. He worked hard, before he got into politics, and made a good life for himself. Then it was Kennedy, who did the same thing, giving it away to charity. Anyways, I was happy that this happened. Trump has money comin' out his . . .

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but Trump did something that I truly hoped he would. He turned down the Presidential salary. He is the fourth President to do so. Washington tried to turn it down, but he was made to take it. I can understand their reasons for doing so, unless they already have lots of money. That's exactly why the next President refused it. President Hoover gave his salary away to charity. He worked hard, before he got into politics, and made a good life for himself. Then it was Kennedy, who did the same thing, giving it away to charity. Anyways, I was happy that this happened. Trump has money comin' out his . . .
Yeah, we'll see. Trump is notorious for going back on these kinds of statements. And he's cheap as hell at giving to charity. But even if he does stick to his vow, it hardly makes up for the fact he's already positioning himself to use the presidency to boost his company's profits and branding. I'd rather he take the salary.