The 1st MoFo Movie Hall of Fame: Round 1

Tools    

Which Movie Most Deserves a Spot in the Hall of Fame?
5.97%
4 votes
City Lights (1931)
8.96%
6 votes
Duck Soup (1933)
34.33%
23 votes
Psycho (1960)
0%
0 votes
The Producers (1968)
4.48%
3 votes
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
0%
0 votes
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
2.99%
2 votes
RoboCop (1987)
2.99%
2 votes
Farewell My Concubine (1993)
7.46%
5 votes
American History X (1998)
19.40%
13 votes
The Big Lebowski (1998)
4.48%
3 votes
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
8.96%
6 votes
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
67 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I'll just be abrupt here and say Valley of the Wind is one of the worst films I've ever seen. I mean I was somewhat underwhelmed by Spirited Way and especially hated the ending, but Atleast I felt the beauty in animation. This was just a highly polished turd honest to god. It's a children's fairy tale and if I watched this when I was five I'd still say it's crap. It was torture to watch this to the end, I mean watching baby first programming makes me less awed at how bad it is. Well I'm done with seeing all the films, just gotta do a few repeat viewings now.
You and I are on very different pages my friend, as I prefer this movie to Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But I really want to see any Miyazaki film to understand why Gua loves him so much. I don't deny I might love it.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

But I really want to see any Miyazaki film to understand why Gua loves him so much. I don't deny I might love it.
I'd suggest Princess Mononoke, it's the only one i've enjoyed out of the 3 i've seen.

Yeah, there's no body mutilation in it.
Well sh*t I just realized all my top ten movies have some sort of body mutilation in them, except Duck Soup. But I think you were reffering me liking 10/65: Selbstverstümmelung.

If Tokyo critics like it, it's blasphemy to hate it.

and no you really don't need to watch it. If you missed out on it when you were 8 it's to late now.
You are not in the right age for it anyway.

I guess that you should be older to understand it or younger. Though your own personality might be incompatible to it.

Anyway, considering it is easily the most complex film out of these 12 (at least in terms of plot), I wouldn't call it childish.

Will be watching a Miyazaki film eventually. I still didn't pull myself to watching Perfect Blue.
Perfect Blue has nothing to do with Miyazaki's work. Overall, in terms of tone I would say that Takahata, Hosoda and Shinkai are much closer to Miyazaki than Kon. Kon's movies don't even feel very Japanese (I guess that Donnie Darko might like Perfect Blue, it's has even a rape scene).

Yeah, there's no body mutilation in it.
Well, Nausicaa actually has a very feminine childlike mentality: "let's save the baby ohm", "how cruel, they are mistreating the poor baby ohm", "the people of the valley are in danger, I must sacrifice myself to save them", she lacks that hardness and selfishness that characterizes adult male characters in cynical adult movies (which are most movies, by the way). But that's why I love it I, I am feed up with cynical characters.

I find characters with a cynical adult mentality to be boring and cold - and a poor artistic choice for the director-. However, I guess that a 15 year old boy that is in a natural process of rejecting his own childhood and cutesy characteristics might not like a cinematic statement characterized by these very same features. Indeed, that's why I suggested Satoshi Kon for him, since this is a director of anime movies that teenagers might like more.

I don't think I might have liked the Nausicaa character if I had watched it before becoming a mature adult - though I might guess that I would have loved the other elements of the movie. When I was 14-15 I liked movies where the main character was a cynical men that crushed, defeated and humiliated his enemies. Now I find that kind of character to be juvenile, though I am still able to enjoy it but now I do enjoy even more watching characters with an unshakable sense of dignity and a childlike sense of humanism - even though people like these are very hard to find in the real world- Nausicaa is a Christ like figure.

Let the night air cool you off
Perfect Blue has nothing to do with Miyazaki's work. Overall, in terms of tone I would say that Takahata, Hosoda and Shinkai are much closer to Miyazaki than Kon. Kon's movies don't even feel very Japanese (I guess that Donnie Darko might like Perfect Blue, it's has even a rape scene).
You make it sound like David Hess is his favorite actor.

I find characters with a cynical adult mentality to be boring and cold - and a poor artistic choice for the director-. However, I guess that a 15 year old boy that is in a natural process of rejecting his own childhood and cutesy characteristics might not like a cinematic statement characterized by these very same features. Indeed, that's why I suggested Satoshi Kon for him, since this is a director of anime movies that teenagers might like more.
I'm 16

I just think the way Miyazaki reasons when telling a story is ridiculous and is childlike, in the sense that I feel he pulls stuff out of his ass. Take the edning to Spirited Away for example
WARNING: "Spirited Away" spoilers below
Where the main girl tells her friend that she knows his name is some river and she knows that because the river brought her back her shoe once
, I mean there's no logic to that. nothing complex, nothing that takes effort to come up with that bull ****. The dialogue (and no I didn't watch the dubbed version) is childlike and just weak. I understand these movies have adult like symbolism, but that doesn't matter if it's not executed properly.

Spirited Away is a very smart and complex film, in my opinion. I think you focus way too much on the superficial elements of Miyazaki's stories, but your criticism is certainly not unfounded. You should keep in mind, though, that his films are made for children too, so there's nothing wrong with having certain 'childish' elements. Oh well, if it's not your cup of tea, you shouldn't taste it any futher, I guess.
I do recommend Porco Rosso to you, though. I think you might like that one a little more. It's quite different from Miyazaki's other work.

I watched every film on this Hall of Fame list now, by the way.
My question is:

Should I send in a top 12 or just a top 6?

Just sent in my top 12 (+ some short thoughts about my top 6 films).

I can't wait to see everyone's top 12 and the final results!

Let the night air cool you off
Those of you that haven't sent in your votes yet, how many do you have left to see? We can work out when this round will finish up based off of that.