PMMM (TV version) is legally available on Youtube!

Tools    

WARNING: "PMMM The Movie: Rebellion" spoilers below
This movie was a lot of fun to watch, especially because of the animation. But it sure did make my head explode. Especially the ending. I'm not one of those people who hates sad endings, but man this one actually kinda depressed me a little. I can't believe she turned into a demon. Ugh, it's so eternally hopeless and theologically terrifying. The worst part though was the ambiguous ending. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I prefer how the series ended. There was one major element that I felt was lacking, and that was the nature of the human soul. Here and there they would hint at a greater significance to the human soul, but it seemed like they avoided going into any depth with the issue. For example Kyubey tells Akemi that her sould will perish for eternity if she becomes a witch inside the prison-like place. And Akemi constantly tells Madoka not to throw her soul away for a wish. But they never really get very deep in theology. Well I'm sure the average person doesn't think about it much, but I actually study theology in university so I think about it a lot. The concept of selling your soul for a wish is awesome, but I did feel they fell a bit short on that.

In the end I'm very glad I was able to learn to appreciate this.
I think that the movie was pretty good. However, it wasn't near the level of the original series. I have watched a ton of stuff Urobuchi wrote and that Shimbo directed besides this and I reached the conclusion that the only thing they did that I love was this.

The stuff from the pair (either directed by one of the two or written by the other) I have watched:

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha -

Bakemonogatari -

Nisemonogatari -

Hidamari Sketch -

Hidamari Sketch: Honeycomb -

PMMM -
++
PMMM: Rebellion -

Fate Zero -
+
Psycho-Pass -

Shimbo's directing style has become very characteristic, beginning around 2006-2007, his early work is more conventional in style, his late work, such as PMMM, is clearly very distinct from other animations. He is now regarded as one of the top anime directors currently working placing at the 13th place in a recent poll of anime directors.

Urobuchi's writing style is also very distinct and obvious, I can clearly notice that something was written by Urobuchi when I am watching it, the sensibilities are very particular, one interesting thing is that Madoka was the only thing Urobuchi wrote that tries to be cute and he said that Madoka was a very different character from the others he usually write, so in a sense it's quite obvious that her cuteness doesn't flow as naturally if compared to Miyazaki's heroines for instance.

I've seen Psycho Pass, that series was great.

Hmm... have you seen Steins Gate? I instantly thought of it as soon as the time travel theme in PMMM began revealing itself. Durarara! Is another one that kind of reminds me of a similar style, minus the cuteness except in a couple characters.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
glad to see this post, got to watch PMMM series via youtube last year and was VERY happy with what I saw. I had, originally, low expectations; but, following guap's suggestions, took a chance and never looked back.
An excellent series. Beautiful artwork with a poignant storyline.

And I still can't understand why Madoka doesn't have nipples.
I just now realised what scene you were talking about. I have only one possible explanation... mmmmmmmmmagic!

glad to see this post, got to watch PMMM series via youtube last year and was VERY happy with what I saw. I had, originally, low expectations; but, following guap's suggestions, took a chance and never looked back.
An excellent series. Beautiful artwork with a poignant storyline.
Be sure to check out Saikano if you haven't already seen it.

Though Nanoha has and these girls are supposed to be 9 (another series from the same director though this clip is from a movie which wasn't directed by him) I guess this can be really be qualified as made for pedophiles:

I'm often surprised by nudity in anime. Take the original Gundam series for example.

Kite also had a bit of a disturbing pedophile scene...