The Michael J Fox Show

Tools    

Michael J Fox returns to television comedy with his first sitcom named after himself. Fox plays Mike Henry, a former TV anchorman who left his position after he developed Parkinson's Disease (yes, the same disease Fox suffers from) but is driving his family crazy as a stay at home dad so he decides to return to work. I have only watched the pilot so far and what I saw was a show business icon trying to cash in on a debilitating illness for the sake of a failing career. Wendell Pierce had some funny moments as Mike's co-worker as did Katie Finnerman as his sister, but other than that, I was unimpressed, but I always give new shows three episodes before I decide whether I'm going to watch or not, but right now, this one's not working for me.

Just finished watching episode 2 and have to admit it was much funnier than the pilot. A guest appearance by Fox's real-life wife Tracy Pollan was a big plus and another on-target turn from Katie Finnerman as Mike's dizzy sister helped make this episode work.

My mom has Parkinson's.

Coming at the end of the dreary, Thursday night NBC sitcom parade, it's just sad. My wife is intent on salvaging something in the wake of the 30 Rock departure, so I gave it a try, but Michael Fox, as well all the other dumb-ass shows in that time span show that it really isn't easy to come up with a good sitcom.

As for Fox's well known Parkinson's, the only thing about this new line-up that works is just how completely comfortable he seems to be with it as a feature of the character. He almost makes the show work. I am still a little creeped that Hank's wife settled in with another family so quickly after his BB demise.

I have to confess that I am still watching the show and I'm not really sure why...the show is OK, but it's nothing special...I think I'm doing it out of respect to its star, who is a television icon.