British and Irish TV recommendation and discussion

Tools    

Morecambe and Wise came from the old music hall background like Les Dawson. I really liked him. Everyone in the old days had aunties like Cissie and Ada. When you were a kid part of the fun was trying to suss out what they were talking about when they silently mouthed the saucy parts of the conversation

What about the Irish comedian Dave Allen? Pretty sure we talked about him a while back. Great comedian, very irreverent humour about religion, he is an influential comedian for the following generation of stand ups

Let the night air cool you off
Chris Morris' Jam ran for 6 episodes. It was a post-modern dark comedy sketch show, where things got really, really dark. It also got very weird. It's unlike any program I've seen before or since.

I just blew through the This is England film and first series in a night. I think I'll stick around this thread for the foreseeable future.
Glad to hear you liked them. Have you seen the other Shane Meadows films?

You should def give them a go. Shane is best mates with Paddy Considine, so their films together are always great. Doing them in date order would be interesting as he often uses the same actors and you see them start off as kids, like Andrew Shim who's Milky in This is England started as a kid in Room for Romeo Brass, as is Vicky McClure, Andrew was also in Dead Mans Shoes.
The only film that doesn't feel true to Shane Meadows naturalistic way of filming is Once Upon a Time in the Midlands. He got a bigger budget for that one from somewhere so had bigger stars, but to my mind it wasn't that great.
Hope you like them