Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Shadow of a Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock, 1943)
-
Charlie (Teresa Wright) is obsessed with getting to the library before it closes to find out what her namesake uncle Joseph Cotten tore out of the newspaper.
I bet it was his nude pics! JK. Watched it some time ago.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Shadow of a Doubt is more than 7/10 it's at least 8/10 if not 8,5 it's Hitchcock's favorite movies that he made and even though I'd say he made 7 or 8 better movies it's still a masterpiece.

You have to remember it's mark that grading and, for mark, that's almost as good as it gets... Which is a terrible film, BTW. I'm equally pleased to see him rate First Blood 3/5.

You have to remember it's mark that grading and, for mark, that's almost as good as it gets... Which is a terrible film, BTW.
Well, you're a terrible film watcherr, BTW.

I personally couldn't stand Monster House, my 3 year old nephew looked depressed during it . I am looking forward to both Shadow of a Doubt and Shane though.

Shadow of a Doubt is more than 7/10 it's at least 8/10 if not 8,5 it's Hitchcock's favorite movies that he made and even though I'd say he made 7 or 8 better movies it's still a masterpiece.
So it's 8 or 8.5 for you and it's less for Mark, well it's actually probably the same rating, Mark might be rating it higher than you even.

I personally couldn't stand Monster House, my 3 year old nephew looked depressed during it . I am looking forward to both Shadow of a Doubt and Shane though.
I think Monster House is a decent film, but definitely not great.

Well, you're a terrible film watcherr, BTW.
I don't like it either so I'm a terrible watcher too ... one of the most boring film i've ever seen

I saw 3 of these on the big screen.

Father James (Brendan Gleeson) takes a break to go fishing. The rest of his time is mostly spent being a scapegoat for the many sins of The Church in Calvary.

A Better Tomorrow (John Woo, 1986)

Black Sabbath (Mario Bava, 1963)

World War Z (Marc Forster, 2013)

The Trip to Italy (Micael Winterbottom, 2014)

Calvary (John Michael McDonagh, 2014)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Hot Boyz (Master P, 2000)

A Circle of Deception (Jack Lee, 1960)
+
Detonator (Jonathan Freedman, 2003)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (George Roy Hill, 1969)

While they're being endlessly pursued all the outlaws wonder are, "Who are those guys?"
Pawn Shop Chronicles (Wayne Kramer, 2013)

Rambo: First Blood Part II (George P. Cosmatos, 1985)

Bobbikins (Robert Day, 1959)
-
Le Joli Mai (Chris Marker & Pierre Lhomme, 1963)

The war with Algeria is over, but what are Parisiennes thinking about?
Jayne Mansfield's Car (Billy Bob Thornton, 2012)

The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox (Melvin Frank, 1976)

Toward the Unknown (Mervyn LeRoy, 1956)
+
The Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean, 1957)

Is Colonel Alec Guinness an exemplary officer, a hero, a traitor or a madman?
Amy George (Yonah Lewis & Calvin Thomas, 2011)

David Lean's Film of Doctor Zhivago (No Director Listed, 1965)

The Real McCoy (Russell Mulcahy, 1993)
+
Gattaca (Andrew Niccol, 1997)

Sums up the entire plot, or most anything for that matter.
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Stephen Norrington, 2003)
-
Barquero (Gordon Douglas, 1970)

Rancho Deluxe (Frank Perry, 1975)
+
Pi (Darren Aronofsky, 1998)
+

Are numbers God's language or inside info for the insane?

How the hell does The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen get
from you? You?
? That's mental. I had to double check to make sure it wasn't The League of Gentlemen. That would've made sense.

I Wanna Be Loved By You
Barton Fink (1991), Dir. Joel & Ethan Coen -

The Aviator (2004), Dir. Martin Scorsese -

The Big Lebowski (1998), Dir. Joel & Ethan Coen -

Witness for the Prosecution (1957), Dir. Billy Wilder -

Million Dollar Baby (2004), Dir. Clint Eastwood -

Millennium Actress (2001), Dir. Satoshi Kon -

Boyhood (2014), Dir. Richard Linklater -

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013), Dir. Martin Scorsese -

The Player (1992), Dir. Robert Altman -

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Romancing the Stone
a fun movie that is a good addition to my filmography that I have watched from Zemeckis

Ace in the Hole
Wilder doesn't make anything that disappoints me. I would consider this tier 2 Wilder, but still was good.

Big Trouble in Little China
My third Carpenter, and least favorite, but it was still a fun watch.

The Avengers (rewatch)
the definition of a fun watch for me. Really amped up for the next one next year.

Thor (rewatch)
+ I think it is better than what people say it is! could be me though.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (rewatch)
a blast from the past. Made me feel like a child.

eXistenZ (1999) - David Cronenburg
OK. I'm not a big fan of Cronenburg, with the exception of The Fly, but I still found this to be one of his weaker films.

A River Runs Through It (1992) - Robert Redford
Looked nice and the fly fishing/life metaphor is a good one but having Craig Sheffer play the lead role was a big mistake. Just made the whole thing feel kind of bland.
+

Deep Red (1975) - Dario Argento
Generally not a fan of Argento but this is one of his better films.
+

Loving Memory (1971) - Tony Scott
Surprisingly good debut from Scott.

Boyhood (2014) - Richard Linklater
Two amazing films in a row from Linklater. IMO he is currently the leading American filmmaker.

Tenebre (1982) - Dario Argento
Atmosphere is good but Argento needed to put some effort into things like script & acting.
+

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Ang Lee
I really like that Lee focussed on this being a romance.

Comanche (1956) - George Sherman
Dana Andrews was alright ... everything else was bad.
+

Paris Je T'aime (2006) - Craven/Coen/Chadha/Natali/Assayas/Van Sant/Cuaron/Tykwer/etc.
I tend to like the concept more than the execution with these compilation movies but this one was of a higher quality than most.

Un Chien Andalou (1960) - Luis Bunuel
I like Bunuel a lot but whilst I enjoyed this, I didn't love it.

High Note (1960) - Chuck Jones
Interesting but, strangely, felt too long.

Tango (1981) - Zbigniew Rybczynski
Probably the best 8 minute movie I'll ever see.

Darkness/Light/Darkness (1989) - Jan Svankmajer
My first Svankmajer short. Will be watching more.

Ten Minutes Older - The Trumpet (2002) - Chen/Erice/Herzog/Kaurismaki/Jarmusch/Lee/Wenders
A collection of shorts about time. Mixed success but the inclusion of two documentaries (Herzog & Spike Lee) made it interesting.

In My Father's Den (2004) - Brad McGann
This caught me by surprise a bit. It's a really good family drama from New Zealand and McGann showed he had a lot of talent - but sadly he died three years after making it.
+

La Lettre (1998) - Michael Gondry
Good short from Gondry. I should check out his full length films.
-

The Woman in Red (1984) - Gene Wilder
Most of what I have read suggests that Wilder was a nice guy IRL but his movies (that he directed) seem incredibly egotistical. Yes Gene, we know you have nice blue eyes ... Anyway, this is an awful film.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tenebre (1982) - Dario Argento
Atmosphere is good but Argento needed to put some effort into things like script & acting.
Demanding good script and acting from a giallo is like demanding kissing from a b*tch. Some do, but you can enjoy 'em without it.

Demanding good script and acting from a giallo is like demanding kissing from a b*tch. Some do, but you can enjoy 'em without it.
Sure, if you can forgive their flaws then they are great.

That same argument can be used for any movie. Sure, Adam Sandler movies have terrible acting and scripts but their kind-hearted feel makes them enjoyable. Well, not to me but if it works for someone else then that's great

Punch-Drunk Love
+ The latest in my "Films I didn't want to watch/see/wasn't interested in but it was on and so decided to try it" season (recording The Wild Bunch atm, which is another I've never liked. Sorry, HP.) I didn't really have any preconceptions going in other than I wouldn't enjoy it. However, when I was watching it I found myself thinking that I thought it'd be a bit more annoying. So I guess I did have some somewhere. So, while not as annoying (though definitely annoying) as I thought it'd be, I'm afraid I found it really boring. I really wasn't interested at all and couldn't/didn't engage with it. It felt conspicuously 'quirky' (is PTA someone who describes himself as "wacky" or "zany" because I had that feeling) but the main problem was boredom. Twice in this film Adam Sandler says the line "This is funny." Now, you know what I thought and so did I, and, the first time, sure enough I said "I wish". But the second time, I was so bored I couldn't even say it. An obvious, terrible joke at the expense of something I wasn't enjoying and I didn't have it in me to make it. That's how bored I was watching this.

But, for some reason, I did like the scene when Sandler goes to Utah to face PSH in his shop. It was a good scene and, literally, the only thing I liked about the film. That was the best thing about the film. The worst? The score. I don't think I'd have found it half as annoying if it weren't for that.

The Man In The White Suit
- Is satire always "biting" or "cutting"? Because this didn't seem harsh enough on its targets to be concided either, though that's how I hear it described in listings and things. Maybe it's just lazy journalistm. Anyway, this is actually a very gentle satire. Cuddly, even, if it's possible for a satire to be so. It's a well made film. Well acted and the rest of it but, as with most comedies, I don't find it funny. True, but not funny. My favourite bit was the sound of his experiment and that the subtitles had the words "beep" and "boop" to describe it and alternated between the two, one slightly to the left of the screen, the other to the right.

Heli
- Do you like Mexican films about corruption, crime and poverty? If you do, take a look at this. You'll probably really like it. Me? 20 years ago I'd have eaten this up and felt well sated. Maybe even two popcorns more. But now? If you're going to have me watch this, make it interesting. Give me characters and don't just give me long takes in long shot of scrubland with a single entity moving (be it a vehicle or a person) from one side to the other or from top to bottom. Or, if you do, make it somewhere pretty.

The opening shot of this film reminded me a little of De Palma, as it felt like a director leaving his calling card. Thankfully, it was the only time it felt like that.