The Best Music of Today...

Tools    

I must become Caligari..!
People say that the music of today is not as good as the music of other decades... Now i would despute that and say that there may not be as much good music around today, but what is comming out it just as good as what has come out... So who are some of your favorite bands around today, producing new and exciting material???

P.S, No answers like "Lynrd Skynrd are my favorite band around today" 'coz while Yes they may still be tour and producing new stuff... they are hardly at their peak...
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I must become Caligari..!

Opeth

Swedish progressive heavy metal band, Producing some of the most well constructed and founded rock of all time. Their sound ranges from thrashing guitars, speed fulled drumming and dark growling vocals, to some of the most captivating harmonical vocals you will ever hear, often seemlessly weaving the two (and many more) sounds together. If you don't mind VERY heavy music i suggest the album Your Arms, My Hearse, however if you want a great totally mellow album listen to Damnation.

ISIS

Great slow atmospherical Stoner/Metalcore from Boston. Althought alot of it is very heavy it also is able to create a chilled out feeling. The way their music is so capibal of changeing the way your feeling is quite simple amazing, Listening to the album Oceanic littraly makes you feel like your in the middle of the sea... Some brilliant stuff.

Atmosphere

You may have heard of them, Some brilliant intellegent and emotional hip hop from Cinci. Turning rap away from Drugs, Bitchas and Shootin Niggaz and making it about much more. MC Slug is not only a brillant rhymer but has found a way of expressing his frustration at the world we live in into something intelligent.

Xavier Rudd

The most original and catchy stuff to come out of this new wave of Blues/Reggee (Jack Johnson, John Butler, Ben Harper), This one man band from Northen NSW (Australia) is pretty damned cool. He is touring the US at the moment and anyone who has the chance should check him out...

Maybe some more later...

Randomly visiting for now
The music of today is just limited in....well it's limitations. In the past there were bands like The Beatles, Rolling Stones and even Elvis who excited young people and developed universal following with their boundary pushing antics (for that particular time in history).

There's just a lot less of that now; during the 60's, 70's and 80's loads of new types of music emerged. Offsetting each other and drawing people in. Things like Punk Rock, Alternative, Funk, Disco, Trance and the heavy metals we hear today are a lot different from what they emerged from.

Some people say 'rock music is dead' well to be honest they're probably right, there's just so much less quality in the music coming out. Bands like Led Zepplin and The Ramones were awesome in their time, but it feels like an era is dying a bit as rock splits into many many factions.

I'm a huge Metallica fan and they are still rumbling out the stadiums but the huge mega rock band is a dying bread. In the words of that record-reviewer in Almost Famous "You're just in time for the death rattle".....ok that was meant to be said quite a few years back but I think it applies now more than ever.

so yeah Metallica

I See You When You're Sleeping
Radiohead

As long as they continue to produce thought provokingly interesting music, I'd sit them down right next to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in 'greatest bands' category.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by MinionTV
Radiohead
yeah radiohead are good too, how long have they been around?

Angels of Light
Devendra Banhart
Silver Jews
Bjork
Radiohead
The Fiery Furnaces
m83

Who barely scratch the surface of great music being made right now.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I agree with those that say today's music breaks very little new ground and is not as good but here are some of the current bands/musicians I listen to:
Guster
Ben Harper
Jack Johnson
Green Day
NOFX
Rancid
Wilco
R.E.M.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
Cake
O.A.R.
Trey Anastasio
Dave Matthews Band
Pearl Jam
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Tom Waits (still putting out GREAT material after all these years), Primus, Guitar Wolf, Martin Newell, Los Straitjackets, The Hellacopters, Turbonegro, The Mooney Suzuki, The Flaming Sideburns, Foetus, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Ween, Beck, Bjork, Radiohead, etc.

A lot of these bands and artists aren't new, but they have released quality material in the last 5 years.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
His new one is great.

Muse is my favorite new band, I guess.
I think I like Modest Mouse, as well. Need to hear more from them to be sure.
And Keane is really gorgeous music.

As far as musicianship goes, I'd put Muse up against any band from any decade.

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
m83
I've been listening to him recently (just one guy, the other one left) and it's amazing. Kind of like 80's soundtrack music from the future. It's really spine tingling stuff.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Personal favorite, which I feel takes the top rung in the recently usurped "genre" that is emo: Brand New. Deja Entendu is a lyricaly (by emo standards) flawless compact disc.

But I submit, via standards of musicianship and consistency:

Incubus

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Tool

Rufus Wainwright

And for being the most original, cohesive sound of the 90s (and who are still peerless):

Though I may be biased because the aforementioned contain my top 3 favorite bands [Tool, Mindless Self Indulgence, The Red Hot Chili Peppers]

Tom Waits just keeps getting better with Age. Angels of Light, I'm glad Michael Gira's still producing decent music, but it's still a big step down from the Swans. Likewise with Foetus. Flow is fine when you compare it to other stuff that's coming out, but Hole and Nail are probably my two favorite albums of all time, and from there (or even Thaw or the Wiseblood/early Steroid Maximus albums and eps) it's still a steady decline for Thirwell.

The most exciting band I've heard in the last five years is Flux Information Sciences. Sort of a throwback to Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, Suicide's first album, and early Einsturzende Neubauten, if that means anything to anyone.

Other than that, Polysics, The Prima Donnas, and The Handsome Family are all great, and The Sparks really came back strong with their most recent album, Lil' Beethoven.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Tom Waits just keeps getting better with Age. Angels of Light, I'm glad Michael Gira's still producing decent music, but it's still a big step down from the Swans.
Yeah... I probably like it a lot more just because I adore Michael Gira so much. Still though, Everything is Good Here/Please Come Home has moments of utter brilliance.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I really like the british band Bloc Party, or at least what I've heard so far. The first track on the cd, "Like Eating Glass" I believe it's called, makes this nearly 30-year old guy wanna crowd surf.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I thought I liked them but it turns out out I just like the music. I hate his voice. I've had the album for ages too, grrr.

Pidd, you're 30? I thought you were round my age (approx 24).

I am having a nervous breakdance
That's what most people think but, yeah, I'm supposed to be an adult.

I like his voice but I can imagine that it might get on your nerves after listening to the whole cd straight.