Another forgotten movie title.

Tools    

Okay, this was a movie I watched back in my early days of highschool, and I can't remember its title.

I don't know if this movie is a foreign film. It's narrated by the main star in English (at least in the version I watched), but as you watch the movie - which is basically the story of her life - it's spoken in another language. I'm afraid I don't remember what language it is, all I know is that it was definitely Asian, maybe Chinese.

Anyway, the movie starts off with an older Asian woman drinking some tea, and you hear her voice narrating a few things. The movie transitions into the woman's past, and you see her as a little girl, almost a toddler, watching her mother speaking to what I think is the matchmaker of their village. The mother and the girl are poor, and I'm pretty sure that the mother is either a widow, or her daughter is illegitimate.

Anyway, it turns out that the girl is being betrothed to a very well-to-do family, and the only reason why is because the matchmaker says that the rich people's son and the poor woman's daughter were meant to be together as according to the matchmaker's skills.

Once the girl is old enough, she's whisked off to the rich family's home where she's immediately dressed up in a wedding gown and married to her betrothed (she doesn't see his face at all until after she's been sitting in their "honeymoon suite" for a while). Anyway, it turns out that her "husband" is younger than her and is still an immature brat. He immediately begins to exert his authority on her by telling her to sleep on the floor, and of course, she has to comply.

A little time goes by, and the girl's main trouble is with her mother-in-law who you can tell doesn't like the girl at all. She's very spiteful towards her daughter-in-law and often treats her like crap, and she blames the girl for not getting immediately pregnant by her son (apparently, walking around too much spills husbands' seeds).

Anyway, the girl is very unhappy in her situation and begins to think of way to get out of it. One day, she overhears a servant woman and man arguing. Apparently, the man had gotten the woman pregnant, and he didn't want to take responsibility for it. He wouldn't even admit the baby was his. This inspires the girl, and she immediately comes up with a plan. She later fakes waking up from a nightmare and runs into the family's ancestral room, bowing and groveling at the shrine there and begging for forgiveness. The family is stirred and comes in to investigate, thinking that the girl's lost her mind, at first, and then the girl launches into a story where she was visited in a dream by the great ancestor of the family and that this ancestor had threatened many bad things on her and the rich family for having the family's legacy (the husband) marry the wrong woman (her). Apparently, the boy (husband) was supposed to be married to the pregnant servant woman, and the ancestor had placed the husband's seed in her instead of the girl because of this, hence that would explain why the girl would never get pregnant by her husband (more than likely, he had lazy sperm or something). Since the pregnant woman hadn't told anyone else of her pregnancy but for the real father, this much of the story went by very smoothly.

And as for proof for the story's legitimacy, the girl had shown that her teeth were falling out (really, it had been a tooth that she lost to a cavity years back).

And that's where I stopped watching the movie. This is what I remember.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Put me in your pocket...
The Joy Luck Club. I LOVE this movie. What you described was one of the mothers' childhood expieriences'. There are four mother's (who are friends) who's turning point in their early life is revealed and also show's their relationships with their daughters...and how each of their mother/daughter realtionship comes full circle. It's very touching...you have to see all of this.

Originally Posted by Aniko
The Joy Luck Club. I LOVE this movie. What you described was one of the mothers' childhood expieriences'. There are four mother's (who are friends) who's turning point in their early life is revealed and also show's their relationships with their daughters...and how each of their mother/daughter realtionship comes full circle. It's very touching...you have to see all of this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I have been trying to find out the name of this movie for the past two years. And all this time it was right in front of my face. Good grief.

Thanks again.

Put me in your pocket...
You're very welcome chingutee. Let me know how you liked it after you see the entire movie.