Boogeyman discussion (contains spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

First off: I apologize if this is a repeat thread. Did a search, but nothing like this popped for me.

Okay, now onward:

I just got finished watched The Boogeyman about fifteen minutes ago, and either it's a very bad movie, or the writer and director were going for a Hitchcock affect.

Spoiler below (drag your browser over the text if you have a hard time reading it):

WARNING: "Boogeyman" spoilers below
Everyone should know what the movie's premise is all about, but there are several things I didn't get. Obviously, the monster-Boogeyman-demon thing could twist space and time. What I don't get is why it focused so much on the main character. And by the end of the movie, it was defeated pretty abruptly. I wasn't sure that the movie was over until I saw the credits. There weren't any explanations whatsoever, so I figured that there must've been a bunch of crap I missed. I think the biggest thing that bothered me was why smashing up those objects/toys defeated the Boogeyman and made it so it couldn't come back. What was its attachment to them? And what about them had given it power and a connection to both the house and the boy?

I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on this please? Maybe if I watched the movie again, I might catch the clues that they'd better have riddled throughout the movie.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by chingutee
First off: I apologize if this is a repeat thread. Did a search, but nothing like this popped for me.

Okay, now onward:

I just got finished watched The Boogeyman about fifteen minutes ago, and either it's a very bad movie, or the writer and director were going for a Hitchcock affect.

Spoiler below (drag your browser over the text if you have a hard time reading it):

WARNING: "Boogeyman" spoilers below
Everyone should know what the movie's premise is all about, but there are several things I didn't get. Obviously, the monster-Boogeyman-demon thing could twist space and time. What I don't get is why it focused so much on the main character. And by the end of the movie, it was defeated pretty abruptly. I wasn't sure that the movie was over until I saw the credits. There weren't any explanations whatsoever, so I figured that there must've been a bunch of crap I missed. I think the biggest thing that bothered me was why smashing up those objects/toys defeated the Boogeyman and made it so it couldn't come back. What was its attachment to them? And what about them had given it power and a connection to both the house and the boy?

I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on this please? Maybe if I watched the movie again, I might catch the clues that they'd better have riddled throughout the movie.
ir probably focused on the main charachter because he was the one wh figured out how to kill boogeyman. The attachment to the dolls and the main charachter was that The Boogeyman Fed on it's Nightmares therefore the main charachter had to destroy his fears that he had when he was a kid to Defeat boogeyman.

when it showed the boy that was the main charachter in a flash back.

I hoped that maybe they could of done more with the ending because Boogeyman technically is not dead, but won't bother him anymore and i thought it would be cool if the main charachter would help the other kids get rid of there nightmares so boogeyman can't attack them

*sigh*

I thought that might be it but I also thought that it was too simple and weak to be it. Guess I gave the movie too much credit. I mean, something that had the power to kill on top of being able to twist the time and space continuum wouldn't have been so easy to defeat by destroying a little boy's scary toys. That doesn't make sense. On top of that, why was it able to get at everyone else who didn't have the same fears? It's too lame to simply say it was because the boy/man was attached to them. By being able to reach over into their spheres, people with separate lives and wills, it should've been more independent. That would've been the least I'd have accepted. And thinking about it now, there were a ton of other things that lack much sense/explanation. Plot holes are the worst.

Would've been a lot better if they'd at least given a little more background on the Boogeyman. Its characterization was way too flighty, didn't really have much backbone to it. This movie had so much potential and it lost it all in wasted energy.

Movie Forums Member
Originally Posted by chingutee
*sigh*

I thought that might be it but I also thought that it was too simple and weak to be it. Guess I gave the movie too much credit. I mean, something that had the power to kill on top of being able to twist the time and space continuum wouldn't have been so easy to defeat by destroying a little boy's scary toys. That doesn't make sense. On top of that, why was it able to get at everyone else who didn't have the same fears? It's too lame to simply say it was because the boy/man was attached to them. By being able to reach over into their spheres, people with separate lives and wills, it should've been more independent. That would've been the least I'd have accepted. And thinking about it now, there were a ton of other things that lack much sense/explanation. Plot holes are the worst.

Would've been a lot better if they'd at least given a little more background on the Boogeyman. Its characterization was way too flighty, didn't really have much backbone to it. This movie had so much potential and it lost it all in wasted energy.
yeah also they use the same scare tactics too much.
though despite the plot holes and stuff i Laid back and relaxed and enjoyed the movie.

I saw this movie the other night, but only because my friend brought it over.

Seriously, it was one of the top 5 worst movies I have ever seen. I can't believe how crappy "horror" movies are now. I wanted to throw a brick through my TV and scream "what the hell is this crap!"

Neutral Milk Hotel
It was funny because the imagery in the movie was really good and I thought the movie was going really good until the boogeyman actually came out. The end, no matter how anyone tries to explain or defend it, sucked miserably and ruined the whole movie for me. Who ever dubbed this "The Scariest Movie Ever!" should be shot on sight.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King