Confuzzled about the Godfather Pt.1

Tools    

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I don't get the ending at all...and I'm a bit confused.

Spoilers:

Sonny died by Barzinni's hands, right?

Then who gave Barzinni the heads up that Sonny was coming? Was Carlo, the guy who got married in the beginning, part of Barzinni's "group"

Also, all the men that died at the end were confusing...Who killed them and who were they. Mainly during and after the Baptist scene. ???

Originally Posted by Godsend

Then who gave Barzinni the heads up that Sonny was coming? Was Carlo, the guy who got married in the beginning, part of Barzinni's "group".

It is Carlo who sold-out Sonny. Obviously. But I don't think there's any implication that he was a member of another of the five Families who infultrated the Corleones by marriage. He was simply sick of being tossed table scraps and treated with no respect (shades of Fredo in Part II), so for probably a little cash and a couple promises he helped them get Sonny (who he didn't like anyway). And that's why, even though he's Carla's husband, Michael shows him no mercy. This will seriously effect Michael and Carla's relationship in Part II (though she becomes as ruthless as him by Part III).

Also, all the men that died at the end were confusing...Who killed them and who were they. Mainly during and after the Baptist scene. ???
The Corleone Family and their contractors went on that killing spree at the end of the film, under orders from the new Godfather Michael Corleone. The targets were not just the Barzini Family, though they were key, but all of the Five Families. After his own assassination attempt, Sonny's death and Michael's seclusion, Vito made peace for the sake of staying alive and in a state of grief and shock. After he died and Michael ascended to full power, he decided to take care of all the old debts. Quickly. Decisively. And his father told him how to identify the traitor in their midst (not Carlo, which was obvious, but Abe Vigoda's Tessio). The war his father had tried to stop after the first blows were struck against them, Michael started and finished in one bloody day. He became everything his father didn't want him to be, but in doing so made the Corleone Family the dominant New York crime syndicate. This too will have consequences in Part II, and all of it will drive Michael's attempt for absolution of his sins in Part III.

Was it really all that complicated?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Godsend

Spoilers:

Then who gave Barzinni the heads up that Sonny was coming? Was Carlo, the guy who got married in the beginning, part of Barzinni's "group"

I'm not the best at reviewing movies but Barzini approached Carlo (Michael even asked Carlo who apporached him, Tataglia or Barzini?). I guess the plan was that Carlo would do a little act on his wife that would upset her. I guess Barzinni knew she would tell her brother Sonny. Sonny would then react the way he always does and go right after Carlo alone.

As for the Baptist scene, all the other families (Barzini, Taaglia, etc) were getting killed by the Corleones. I recognized Clemenza killed Moe Green as well during that scene. Michael became the godfather of his nephew and also was finally becoming the "Godfather" of the family.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Was it really all that complicated?
The bloodbath seemed pretty straightforward to me, but I, too, was confused by this part:
Originally Posted by thegodfather15
I guess Barzinni knew she would tell her brother Sonny. Sonny would then react the way he always does and go right after Carlo alone.
Barzini deployed like six guys with Tommy guns to kill Sonny, based on the assumption that Carla and Sonny would react as they did. He was right, but it was a lot to put on the behaviour of two people that Barzini couldn't have known all that well. He put a lot of trust in Carlo's prediction, I guess, but you do have to piece that together when you find out Carlo sold out Sonny, and by the time you find that out, we're already ramping up for the finale and wondering if Michael is going to get it, and who cares all that much about Sonny and Carla by then?

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Bloodbath confused me cause there were so many faces I didn't remember, especially the Dons I believe. That's mostly it. Also some of the hitmen were new, right? Meh

I always felt that Carlo was dumb as hell to do that. Obviously something is up when Sonny goes to his sister's house who's getting beat up by Carlo, and at the booth there's a whole army waiting for him with machine guns. Did Carlo actually think they wouldn't figure it out?

Michael wasn't 100% sure though, he wanted confirmation from Carlo's mouth.

I have some questions about Part II:

-In the 2nd movie, when the assassins fail to kill Michael and they end up dead, was it Fredo who killed them to cover up?

-Why did Danny Aiello, when strangling Frank P in the bar, say "Michael Corleone says hi" when the order was from Roth?

Bad Morther****er
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
The Corleone Family and their contractors went on that killing spree at the end of the film, under orders from the new Godfather Michael Corleone. The targets were not just the Barzini Family, though they were key, but all of the Five Families.
Don't forget Moe Green in Vagas, that was a huge setup for The Corleones moving west, as they were in the begining of pt. 2.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy
Don't forget Moe Green in Vagas, that was a huge setup for The Corleones moving west, as they were in the begining of pt. 2.
The famous Moe Green special!

I always felt that Carlo was dumb as hell to do that. Obviously something is up when Sonny goes to his sister's house who's getting beat up by Carlo, and at the booth there's a whole army waiting for him with machine guns. Did Carlo actually think they wouldn't figure it out?

?
carlo used to regularly beat up his wife ( sonny's sister ) and one day sonny savagely beat him up for this . so carlo is burning for revenge on sonny . this i am remembering from the novel , not movie .

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Michael wasn't 100% sure though, he wanted confirmation from Carlo's mouth.

I have some questions about Part II:

-In the 2nd movie, when the assassins fail to kill Michael and they end up dead, was it Fredo who killed them to cover up?

-Why did Danny Aiello, when strangling Frank P in the bar, say "Michael Corleone says hi" when the order was from Roth?
Remember Michael says it's someone close. Probably not Fredo - he admits to giving information, and that's all we know. I'm guessing it was Roth's men.

For the second question, it's a diversion - they want Frank to think it was Michael - probably to testify in court against him to make business easier for the rest. And of course, Michael brings in Frank's brother, and Frank got memory loss. It's also confirmed by Roth when asked by Michael. Roth says "The Rosado Brothers" and Michael knows better, and says "but who put the hit". Roth knows that Michael knows, but just like with Carlo, wants to hear it from him. Roth angrily barks back that "This is the business we've chosen" - and that he didn't ask who gave the orders when they killed Moe.