What were your problems with Moulin Rouge

Tools    

i notice that a lot of you didn't like this movie. i know that i am not going to change any minds here. i just want to know what your opinions of why this movie was bad?

Check out THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

gone
a recent poll shows it's marmite. unless you're a fence squatter.

Guy
I've been to a lot of threads about Moulin Rouge. It's definately a love or hate film.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I loved the songs in Moulin Rouge. In fact, that's what propelled me into buying it, aside from the movie itself. I like movies that are humorous while being serious at the same time. Baz did a pretty good job mixing a musical, comedy, and a drama. Anyone who likes theater would get some entertainment out of this movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Honestly, I've professed my dislike of Moulin Rouge many times here and elsewhere, but I guess what I didn't like about it was the Director. The movie is a fast moving mess, with cartoony acting and too many jump cuts. The music choices were also fairly arch, like they were laughing about how "Clever" it was to use pop songs in a period piece, and the obnoxious techno can-can opening was just earsplittingly awful. (on a side note, I really disliked the song "Lady Marmalade." When will people stop foisting disco onto us? Disco was bad in the 70's and it gets worse every decade. "Kids of today must defend themselves against the 70's" - Mike Watt.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I think you mean you disliked the style of the direction. Not the director himself.

Wasn't that implied in what he said? He doesn't like the director - specifically what the director did, which is why he then lists all the faults he found in the direction (by the director). I didn't think that was unclear.

And I agree with everything MonkeyPunch said.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
true. My bad. But i don't much care for Baz Luhrmann's other films either. they're all this insane. I watched Romeo + Juliet because Claire Danes was in it, but even she didn't make it a good movie. I think Luhrmann needs to go back to film school, or maybe stick to directing MTV videos, which his films greatly resemble.

Not really.
I respect his reasons for disliking the film, but there's a difference between the director and "the direction" or "how the director directed" or the "directorial vision". Maybe it was implied. But I take things literally.

Saying you dislike the director and thereofre dislike the film is basically like saying "I don't like Baz Luhrmann because he raped my wife and pillaged and looted my village (or whatever) and therefore I dislike the film". "I don't like the director as a person. Hence I don't like this film either." "I don't look at the films pros and cons, I automatically do not like this film because Baz Luhrmann directed it and I don't like him because...."

I'm just being difficult.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Toose
I vote love! I LOVE this film!
I LOVE the love in this movie. The love includes the love songs, the story, the trials, the defeat...
I HATED everything else. SO unfocused. The first twenty minutes of the movie almost prompted a dvd turned frisbee...but I hung in there. I'm glad I did, but it was a love/hate experience.

Guy
my problem with moulin rouge is that when I got the DVD today there was no disc 1 !!!

I hate to say it... but I loved the film. My wife dragged me to it and we were actually the only people in the theater. I am normally not a big fan of musicals, but I must say that Moulin Rouge certainly did not fall into the category of typical boring musical.

It seems that almost anytime a movie uses a style of directing different from the norm viewing the movie becomes a love/hate proposition. Because this film revolved not only around the music and the characters, but also the direction whether or not you like it is completely subjective (more than most movies I mean). If someone is put off by the directing they may fail to appreciate the love story and music that would have been considered excellent in a 'regular' film.

Overall I must say that while I enjoyed the movie, I can certainly understand why others do not... but then again, that's what makes going to the movies and using forums such as this so interesting.

I loved the movie - flaws and all. I think it's excessive and over the top, but its excesses bleed from its ambitions, which I greatly admire. Luhrmann wants the audience to feel entirely different sets of emotions at different critical points in the movie (which is an insanely huge undertaking, IMO), while simultaneously reimagining the musical, and exploiting (there's no other word to describe) his actors' talents...The movie wants to hit every note on the emotional scale. I love that about it, however thin and fluffy those emotions may be in hindsight. Other than that, it just plain exhilarated me. I think Luhrmann should stay away from the editing room, but overall the visual style was an asset rather than a problem.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Moulin Rouge was edited by Jill Billcock.
Directors usually choose the overall visual style though, right? That's what I'm talking about. Ms. Billcock didn't choose to make the movie look like it was fed through a paper shredder.

Yeah, I know, but Iwas just saying.
She has something to do with it. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have done all the editing against her will.

I was being a nut.