The Forum Improvement Thread

Tools    

Click on the "check message length" link to find out. I had to raise it more than once...I lost a giant post once because of it, I think. Or part of it. I forget the details...but I hit the limit at least once.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well you don't see me hitting that limit anytime soon. I'm not one that likes to really get into a post and right a short story.

In case anyone else would like to know the length, it's 15000 characters.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
There have been so many guests here, today. Hello guests! Jeez, seriously...we're surrounded.

Which brings about my signature from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

BTW, this has been bugging me, and I don't know if it's just me or what but down in the staus bar of IE, it says that there are errors on the page. Just thought I would bring that up.

Yeah, it's this stupid smilie popup box. I was trying to improve it so that it stuck the smilie wherever your cursor was, as opposed to the end of the message. Didn't work. Now I must....DEBUG!

Ok, the errors should be gone. Also, the PM popup things should now list the title of the message right there on the alert, and take you to the most recent new PM you have automatically! Please, hold your applause. The downside is that if you have more than one new PM, it'll just take you to the most recent one. Still, I'm dang proud...took me a little while to figure out how to get it to work the way I wanted, but it works like a dream now.

Question, though: is this of any use to you? If so, do you think it'd be a good idea to list the name of the user who's sent the PM along with the title?

Alright, a few more things.
  • I think that all form buttons (except for ones like the "Verify" button visible on the new PM page) should now be sleek/black. I'd missed a few in my first go-around.
  • I think I've not "smoothed" out the tables a bit. As you'll notice, the majority of pages and such here don't have any thin black lines seperating them like most forums...I avoid them when I can. I think I've removed them from virtually every page now.
  • I've customized most of the text on the form buttons throughout the site. Decided to sprinkle a little bit of the old site's humor around here. In addition, all the reset buttons should not prompt you for a confirmation before they erase the form's data.
  • Fixed a few small formatting problems with hardly visible links and such.
That's all for now. If anyone notices any problems or has any suggestions, feel free to post them here.

More stuff: a random glossary term is now displayed underneath the clickable smilies on the Post Reply/New Thread pages. Clicking on the link will display a JavaScript alert message containing the term's meaning. A link below this random term takes you to the entire glossary. Nice, eh? Made another change today, too...but I won't tell any of you what it is. You have to figure it out for yourselves.

Also: the PM popup alert has been improved. The last improvement had it displaying the username of the sender and the title...it also took you directly to the message, and not just to your PM inbox...but it didn't have any kind of special notification in case you had more than one new PM. Now, if you have one, it works as usual. If you have more than one, though, it tells you how many you have, and takes you to the inbox so you can see them all.

Working on all kinds of little changes, too. Having a blast.

gone
can you increase avatar sizes?

or would that heavily affect the databases performance?

Size as in width/height, or size as in file size? I'm not opposed to allowing a larger file size...but really big avatars in terms of width and height would be baaad, IMO.

great work T!

gone
100 x 100

awww go on, aww go on

/me snuggles up to TWTCommish (apparantly if i flirt...)

Sorry, 100x100 is just too big. I'm trying to keep the space to the left of the post as un-crowded as possible, really. I've seen forums where the user's info, avatar, and various other stats and such take up much more space than the post itself. It's the same reason I don't allow HUGE signatures. I might bend to 75 or 80, though. I think it's at 70x70 right now.

I know what it is...you made it so the Submit button at the bottom has like two different messages that show up. Maybe I'm wrong.

Close enough: it's random. I entered like 8 different phrases...it shows a random phrase each time the page is loaded...it applies to the reply and new thread pages. I'll probably add it to other places, like new PMs and such, too. Cool, eh?

More more more: new page. Check it out:

You'll find a link to this page on the Who's Online?...the new page, of course, links back to the "old" one, too. Useful to see if someone's checked the site recently. Minor improvement...worth noting, though. You can hold your each username on the new page, too. A second later the time of their last visit should pop up.

More hacks coming soon, too.

gone
Another stupid silly note:

Just noticed if you come in through movieforums.net the cookies don't work

but if you come through www.movieforums.net it does...