Movie Tab II

Tools    

Shoot PG, my favorite out of those is your least favorite.
I recommend it to him... he don't like gangster movie at all and he don't like Johnny Depp at all... I'm a little bit lunatic since

Yeah, I had a hard time finishing the film it was a painfull watch haha.

I'm not saying it's bad or anything, I just don't know what'sgood about it .

Yeah, I had a hard time finishing the film it was a painfull watch haha.

I'm not saying it's bad or anything, I just don't know what'sgood about it .
exactly my though about Enemy the funny thing about that is the fact that we are real friends and two cinephiles friends with the most opposite movie taste in the world

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Sugar & Spice (Francine McDougall, 2001)
+
Always for Pleasure (Les Blank, 1978)

Kati with an I (Robert Greene, 2010)

Stage Door (Gregory La Cava, 1937)

Katharine Hepburn, Lucille Ball and Ginger Rogers are among the struggling actresses trying to catch a break on Broadway and staying at the same boardinghouse.
New Moon (Jack Conway, 1930)

Frankenhooker (Frank Henenlotter, 1990)

Actress (Robert Greene, 2014)

Laila (George Schnéevoigt, 1929)

A Norewegian girl is lost on the tundra and found and raised as a Lapp. As a young woman (Mona Mårtenson), she has nomadic adventures on the ice with the Lapps’ key animal, the reindeer.
Project: Metalbeast (Alessandro De Gaetano, 1995)

Knuckleball! (Ricki Stern & Anne Sundberg, 2012)
+
Danny Roane: First Time Director (Andy Dick, 2006)

Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson, 1964)

Magical nanny Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) reads her own measurement on her tape measure.
Spark: A Burning Man Story (Steve Brown & Jessie Deeter, 2013)

King Creole (Michael Curtiz, 1958)

Body Parts (Eric Red, 1991)

Toys in the Attic (George Roy Hill, 1963)
+

Busimess failure Dean Martin returns home again to his sisters (Geraldine Page & Wendy Hiller) at the family home in New Orleans but this time with his naïve child bride Yvette Mimieux and a fortune.
Cure: The Life of Another (Andrea Staka, 2014)
+
Dane Cook: Troublemaker (Dane Cook, 2014)

That Texas Jamboree (Ray Nazarro, 1946)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron, 1991)
-

Another old-school Terminator (Arnold Schwarzeneggar) must protect young John Connor (Edward Furlong) from a super-advanced liquid metal version (Robert Patrick) that's also come from the future to kill him.

Since I'm crazy behind with my movie diary, I might as well do a little update in here. This is some of the latest films, which I have been watching...

Rush Hour 1998
REWATCH
Little Miss Sunshine 2006

The Beyond 1981

The Killer 1989

Life of Pi 2012
- REWATCH
Drag Me to Hell 2009
- REWATCH
The Poker House 2008

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation 2015

The Blues Brothers 1980

Before Midnight 2013
REWATCH
Killer Joe 2011

Before Sunset 2004
REWATCH
Furious 7 2015
+ REWATCH
The Third Man 1949

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 2013

Final Destination 2000
REWATCH

Minions

Can't remember much about this one. Wouldn't bother with it even if you were a fan of the Despicable Me movies.

Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation

Theres a lot of cool set pieces (the best one taking place during an opera), but all the good stuff happens in the first half. The second half you're just left with some uninteresting story you don't really care about.

Enemy

Director Denis Villeneuve's other movie from 2013 Prisoners was a pretty entertaining flick. Enemy, which also stars Jake Gyllenhaal, is not. This is a bad, bad movie with zero entertainment value. Gyllenhaal plays an expressionless man who has no business being in a movie. Then he discovers another man who is exactly the same guy as him, except even more boring. The film often hints that both men are actually the same person and sprinkles in a few weird scenes with spiders, in a desperate attempt to make the movie interesting.

It doesn't work at all.

Memento

I always forget stuff about this movie. Genius.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I had a terrible backlog last time. I can't make it happen again!

Magic Mirror

The Tragedy of Man

Vale Abraão [Abraham's Valley]
(1993) -
- my first Oliveira film! Lasting for more than 3 hours the movie is very complicated both visually and lyrically, even though it may not be that apparent at the beginning. Oliveira's style is very distinctive and in this film he mixes beautiful visual language of symbols with rich poetic narration creating a movie one of its kind. Perhaps this is a great masterpiece, but I don't know this yet? Also a little girl putting her finger inside a rose and rubbing it, is the best sexual metaphor I've ever seen!
Terrore nello spazio [Planet of the Vampires] (1965) -
- a decent Bava sci-fi flick with a little conspiration theory you can deduce from film's ending. I prefer his horror films, but this one was fairly entertaining, too.
Espelho mágico [Magic Mirror] (2005) -
- my second Oliveira and despite its shorter running time, just as good as the last one, or maybe even better. It's just so interesting and thought-provoking! The ideas in this one are just overlapping, but they all sound very clearly! The movie's very powerful and I already loved it when the intro started and Danse Macabre started playing!
Az ember tragédiája [The Tragedy of Man] (2011) -
- from the director of Feherlofia comes a monumental masterpiece of animation he had been making for 23 years! I don't even know what to compare it with, but perhaps 2001: A Space Odyssey is a good example. It tells the history of mankind from the very beginning to the future and beyond! It is the Satan that takes Adam into a trip through time! The animation style changes accordingly to the times we're currently at. Abundant narration and tons of symbols and visual marvels make this one quite a challenge for anyone who feels like beholding such piece of art.
まごころ [Sincerity] (1939) -
- Mikio Naruse Chronologically - continued - the story is, as always, simple, but heartfelt.
Gone With the Wind (1939) -
- one of the biggest classics I haven't yet seen I have just seen. Is it even grammatically correct? Either way, it's good. Much better than I expected it to be from the first part of the film that felt like a lame Technicolor musical without singing, but with terrible soppiness and Vivien was a little brat as well. Well, she was for the whole film, but that's her character, isn't it? Cinematography is good and at times great. Especially memorable are the sunset shots, the fire and the station scene. But my favourite scene was the one right before the Intermission, during which Vivian says that she will do anything just to survive and live proudly for the rest of her life. This actually was the only part of the film that felt ultimately genuine in my opinion. The rest was a little bit artificial, if you know what I mean. Also, the legendary quote from the end was fun to hear for the first time (never heard it before, because I wanted to have the pleasure of hearing it for the first time when I have the whole movie behind me already. It was so amusing to imagine a contemporary remake and critics complaining everything today is vulgar, hence Gable's character (that is, whoever would play him in the remake, maybe Nicholas Cage? XDD) saying: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a f*ck". Lol. The ending was a surprise, too. All in all, a good movie. Maybe even a very good one, if you're into this kind of flicks. Not a masterwork, though.
Scarface (1932) -
- BRUTAL! Better than De Palma's version! Also the whole sister thing at the end moved me more than the remake did! I guess the Hays code still wasn't in full power by the time, because the movie has a lot of murders, mob killing each other, riding the cars and shooting Tommy guns! This one's plot is similar to the remake, even though De Palma made so many changes. Boris Karloff plays bowling, too! Lol.
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) -
- Hammer Dracula - continued! This one has Dracula in the 70's, which entails him sucking the blood of damn HIPPIES. The hippies were very annoying, but the ending fight was cool. Also, the Lee & Cushing duo is always a good recommendation to watch any film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Being John Malkovich

Platform

The Lucky Ones
+ REWATCH
Full Metal Jacket

The Warriors
+
Sleeping Beauty
REWATCH
Shawshank Redemption
+ REWATCH
Red River

Charlotte's Web
- REWATCH
The Aviator
+

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 4 Hawks Daniel, here's my ratings:

Bringing Up Baby
+
Red River

His Girl Friday
+
Monkey Business

He is certainly a director on my radar. I may have rated Red River a bit too low, I really liked it, but we will see what a REWATCH dos down the road.

I've seen 4 Hawks Daniel, here's my ratings:

Bringing Up Baby
+
Red River

His Girl Friday
+
Monkey Business

He is certainly a director on my radar. I may have rated Red River a bit too low, I really liked it, but we will see what a REWATCH dos down the road.
Oh yes, I remember you talking about Bringing Up Baby before. But yeah I like Red River too but it isn't one of my favourite Hawks' films, excellent direction and performances, but I was a little unsure about the ending which I found weak.

But yeah, I think generally you'd enjoy most of his works, I don't see why you'd particularly dislike any of them

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Recent Watches:
Macbeth (Polanski, 1971)-
-
Mission Impossible- Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015)-

Inherent Vice (P.T. Anderson, 2014)-
-
Pickpocket (Bresson, 1959)-

Shorts Films (From 3rd HoF):
Guard Dog (Plympton, 2004)-

Two & Two (Anvari, 2011)-

I Don't Want to Go Back Alone (Ribiero, 2010)-

I really can't a credit many of my issues with it to Polanski's work. The film is technically superb. The production design was amazing, the makeup was strong especially for the witches. Shakespeare's works have never done it for me on screen though, despite the fact that they're made to be performed. To be fair on paper the only one that I really like was Hamlet. I don't dislike the film- except the acting which was sub par overall- I just didn't care about anything outside of its technical aspects.