Movies You Grew Up w/ on TV

Tools    

It's not complicated you must be reading into something that isn't there.

All I'm looking for are movies that you saw on TV and nowhere else. Movies you didn't know were in theaters and may never have been. Everyone knows Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Wizard of Oz, etc. I'm not looking for any random movie you caught once on TV or the James Bond marathon on Thanksgiving. With one of my picks, The Beastmaster, there's a reason they called HBO "Hey, Beastmaster's On" and TBS "The Beastmaster Station". It played all the time because a particular station got the rights for it and they wanted their moneys worth.
Yeah, then you misunderstand yourself. I was never so uninformed that I didn't realize a movie I had seen on TV first was ever a theatrical release. I saw The Beastmaster in the theater, before however many times I caught fragments of it on TBS. I was a regular, very aware moviegoer from the age of eight or nine onward, so even if I didn't see something until it aired on TV or cable, I wasn't so out of it that I was totally unaware of its existence before I actually watched it. All four of the movies you listed in your original post were all theatrical releases, none of them straight-to-video or made-for-TV.

So if your question is which movies I had no idea were "real" movies until I discovered them on TV somehow, I suppose the answer is none. But as I tried to explain, other than the made-for-TV movies and mini-series from the three major networks, which were always identified as such with much hoopla and advertising, back when I was a kid there weren't straight-to-video releases (or home video at all) and when I first got cable TV in 1980/81 the major pay networks didn't have their own made-for-TV movies yet, either, much less the likes of TNT and Lifetime and the myriad of outlets available since the 1990s.

But thanks for asking!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All I'm looking for are movies that you saw on TV and nowhere else. Movies you didn't know were in theaters and may never have been. Everyone knows Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Wizard of Oz, etc. I'm not looking for any random movie you caught once on TV or the James Bond marathon on Thanksgiving. With one of my picks, The Beastmaster, there's a reason they called HBO "Hey, Beastmaster's On" and TBS "The Beastmaster Station". It played all the time because a particular station got the rights for it and they wanted their moneys worth.
I didn't get this at all. I thought what you meant was what, pretty much, everyone else here has posted. Film we grew up with.

Maybe a better title would've been "Happened Upon Movies" or, more blatently, "Movies You Only Saw On TV" or "Movies You Didn't Know About Until You Saw Them On TV".

Actually, Moonfleet still works with this 'new' criteria.

Semper Fooey
Even when I was real little watching Laurel and Hardy I knew they didn't just make it. They had old Popeye movie cartoons and new ones made for television and I knew which was which (TV ones hardly moved).

This has nothing to do with being ignorant of a movie's theatrical release!!!
I'm 25 so as a kid in the 90's, The Beastmaster was and is synonymous with TBS. This thread is more than likely irrelevant to anyone 30+. Another example would be Tremors. It played on USA and then Sci-Fi and when I talk about it with ANYONE I know in "real life" we reminisce about watching it on TV, not in theaters. I think the thread is properly titled because I'm asking for movies you grew up with on TV not movies that were merely on TV when you grew up.

Semper Fooey
I'm 25 so as a kid in the 90's, The Beastmaster was and is synonymous with TBS. This thread is more than likely irrelevant to anyone 30+. Another example would be Tremors. It played on USA and then Sci-Fi and when I talk about it with ANYONE I know in "real life" we reminisce about watching it on TV, not in theaters. I think the thread is properly titled because I'm asking for movies you grew up with on TV not movies that were merely on TV when you grew up.
That's not what you said before. Even in my day there were movies like Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz that had long network contracts that were shown annually and even I was too young to have seen them in theaters and I certainly watched The Wizard of Oz every year so I grew up with it.

Semper Fooey
The more I think what you wrote, the more I think you have tunnel vision about what it was like watching movies on television BEFORE you were born.

We all grew up watching movies that were shown endlessly over many years.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Apparently this thread is irrelevant to anyone else dumb enough to post here at this site or isn't part of your "real life" who understands "clear" English and knows what's really going on. Better be careful because you're getting to be an old fart yourself and will soon become irrelevant even under your own specialized criteria.

Apparently this thread is irrelevant to anyone else dumb enough to post here at this site or isn't part of your "real life" who understands "clear" English and knows what's really going on. Better be careful because you're getting to be an old fart yourself and will soon become irrelevant even under your own specialized criteria.
What's your problem? If you don't like this thread go to another one instead of bashing mine. I never said anyone was an old fart but apparently you were offended since you're apparently over 30 and you're taking out your old age syndrome on me. Go away.

This wasn't intended to be a "any movie shown on TV" thread. I meant the phrase "grew up w/ on TV" to mean movies most people grew up knowing it only from TV. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that saw Tremors in theaters but EVERYONE has passed by it on TV. That's all I was going for but I guess nowhere on the internet is civil anymore.

Semper Fooey
You keep redefining your terms. Now it is movies hardly anyone saw in theaters, but saw on television. Well, the rest of us have seen those movies also. For me it was the original Little Shop of Horrors, which was a second billed B when it came out in theaters amd was not there very long (so I hear). Before the musical we would all talk about that movie, which would show up a lot on local channel horror movie themed shows like Science Fiction Theater. So why are you trying to narrow the definition to movies only you grew up with?

A system of cells interlinked
Super Fuzz (Corbucci, 1980)

Supaa, Supaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh yes, it's Super Fuzz. Just LOOK OUT! Terrance Hill, Spaghetti Western regular, does an action/super hero flick that is straight up CAMP. I used to watch this thing constantly on either HBO or American Super Channel, whichever it was at the time. My friend Ian and I would ride our bikes and cause trouble out side for a couple of hours, always making sure we were home in time to watch this gem.

An average Joe police officer is exposed to nuclear energy, granting him super powers. The only issie (and clearly ripped off) problem, is that if he sees the color red, he loses his powers. Yes, it's The Green Lantern in a police uniform.

Terrible stuff, and man, do I love it.

A system of cells interlinked

I'm not following these guidelines, because you can't seem to follow them for one paragraph. You claim the guideline is "Movies you didn't know were in theaters and may never have been", and then you immediately list The Beastmaster, which obviously ran in theaters and wasn't "just on TV."

The Beastmaster was certainly in theaters, because I snuck in to see it when I was 11...three times.

The film I listed above, now that's a film I only recall seeing on TV...

What's your problem? If you don't like this thread go to another one instead of bashing mine. I never said anyone was an old fart but apparently you were offended since you're apparently over 30 and you're taking out your old age syndrome on me. Go away.

This wasn't intended to be a "any movie shown on TV" thread. I meant the phrase "grew up w/ on TV" to mean movies most people grew up knowing it only from TV. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that saw Tremors in theaters but EVERYONE has passed by it on TV. That's all I was going for but I guess nowhere on the internet is civil anymore.
This is over the top - If anyone isn't being civil, it's you. No one is bashing anything, and this is not your thread. People are replying with on-topic posts concerning the original post that started the thread. All the posts have been in line with with the parameters stated in that post. Your later posts seem to want to restrict the topic to something that only applies to you and the time you grew up, but that is just silly.

Here, let's take a term from the post I quoted above:

"I meant the phrase "grew up w/ on TV" to mean movies most people grew up knowing it only from TV"

You must realize this is always, always going to be relative to the person posting. People ARE listing the films they grew up with on TV. Some of us grew up before TBS, TNT et al. even existed, so it's impossible to consider a programing paradigm like that when listing our favorites. When HBO was the only "cable" in town, TV was the only place we saw many, many films.

The discourse in this thread has been civil, with many people (Holden, for instance) going out of their way to explain why they posted the films they did and what things were like when THEY grew up. That's totally on topic.

Originally Posted by argh.pirate
Actually, Tremors was pretty well reviewed by critics. It currently stands at a whopping 88% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Oh, I saw it in theaters, too. I went with a whole bunch of friends and we had a blast watching it. I think it's a fun little monster B-movie that hits all the right spots.

"That's why we moved to Perfection - geographical isolation!"

Sedai you're ignoreing a key word in my phrasing. "MOST PEOPLE". Most people heard of Wizard of Oz before seeing it on TV. Most people would have no idea what Tremors is had it not been on TV. That's why I said if you're over 30 this is irrelevant because TV was totally different and only on a movie forum will you find someone that happens to remember Tremors in theaters. MOST PEOPLE that are old enough to remember any trailers from that time wouldn't remember it. Critics review everything and most of the reviews on RT were written much later than 1990. AFTER IT'S CULT TV FOLLOWING!

I never once changed the criteria. If I had, why do all my movies seem to magically fall into the same category? Office Space is a perfect (though more modern) example. Don't you dare tell me it was a blockbuster in theaters. Nobody knew of it until it played over and over on Comedy Central in the early 00's.

You can't give one example of how I've been uncivil but you're the people calling me an "old fart", calling anyone that continues this thread "dumb", and you still want to argue over MY thread. Yes it is MY thread, I came up with the topic and you aren't welcome anymore. You've ran it into the ground and no one would want to participate with your pretentious comments.

DO NOT REPLY, I DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T GET IT OR DISAGREE!

Look, I don't want to fight and I'm willing to write this all off as a misunderstanding. It's just that sometimes every single person has a desire to say what they feel. I'm way past it at this point.

Semper Fooey
I am replying to you anyway. So what you are really talking about are cult movies, movies that were BO disappointments, but became popular on television. They have always been with us, including:

Little Shop of Horrors (already mentioned)

Carnival of Souls

It's a Wonderful Life (such a BO disaster nobody bothered to renew its copyright and became hugely popular in the early eighties because any channel could broadcast it)

Gun Crazy

Night of the Hunter

Sweet Smell of Success

Rocky Picture Horror Show

The list is endless. Some were low budget, some were not, but they either died big time at the box or were programmers on the bottom half of a bill. They developed their popularity by being show frequently on television. Cable, Showtime, Sci Si Channel, is irrelevant. Old movies have been a staple of television programming since the fifties. And certain ones, the ones people like, get shown more than others, irregardless of how popular they were in theaters.

No, he doesn't mean that. That's the problem. We have a big misunderstanding because we took the words literally and didn't figure out that the movies mentioned in the first post all fell into some kind of time frame. I think the thread is fine, but we could ask for some posts to be deleted. For example, I could delete mine but it wouldn't make the thread any "cleaner" or easier to follow. Shut up, mark!

Semper Fooey
If this was supposed to be about movies only HE grew up with he should say so. Instead he keep posting contradictory posts about what he is talking about. Every time he tries to redefine his terms to restrict it to movies he grew up with he can't because those movies have existed before he was born.

For the record, I saw Tremors in the theater during its initial run. Twice. Office Space, too. That you and your circle of friends and family weren't aware of these movies until they played on television and had developed cult reputations hardly makes them obscure. Only to you, personally.

But if that is what the topic was supposed to be about...way to go?