Movie explanations,sybolism, deeper meanings

Tools    

Originally Posted by BrandnewCorporate
what's dogma about..i've heard good stuff about it..
Dogma is pretty much Kevin Smith sticking it to orthodox Catholicism, with a lot of matter-of-factly divine (or evil) characters (angels, demons, muses, an apostle, etc.) mixing with folks like Jay and Silent Bob. Don't know how much you're wanting to know about the plot--probably check it out on IMDb if you're wanting details--but I thought the movie was okay. Not Smith's best, but still funny.

Oh, there's also a poo monster. Just so ya know.

My life isn't written very well.
Though panned and excused by critics Toys still holds a deep meaning in my heart. It is one movie filled with symbolism which begs for interpretation!

Also catch Grand Canyon. A movie that truly captures relationships, racism and pure greed.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Grand Canyon is a great flick all right.

I also think Kalifornia does a good job at showing how much of a hoot it is to kill people. There are so many like that. I wonder if it has anything to do with Bush.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

One of my favorites: In 'Schindler's List' which was filmed beautifully in all-black and white except for a little girls coat. During the evacuation (theres a different word for it, but I can't think of it right now) of the ghetto, Oskar watches the events from a near by hill top. There is a little girl in a red coat and hat that he watches run past dead bodies and evade the SS and Nazi soilders. Watching her you can see on his face that as those horrible actions againts people are taken, you see how he realizes how wrong it is. I think that the red coat and hat sort of symbolize the innoccent blood that is being spilt all because of hate. The red hat of course being blood, and the little girl innocence.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Natural Born Killers shows that killing people is a hoot.
Boy, I came away with a headache after watching that one because of the camera work on top of the weirdo atmosphere going on throught the whole flick.

That american beauty comment reminded me if the initial and final shoot of blue velvet: also mixing the sky, the flowers and the fence with the 3 colors of the american flag to accentuate the "typical american town" tone of it. The whole ending with the fake bird, and the suggestion of the entire story being nothing but a fabrication of Jeffrey's mind, Lynch mentions on the comentary how the ear symbolizes him entering into another world, then at the end we see and image of the ear but now its Jeffrey's ear going out of this world, a world that he created inside his mind.

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
One of my favorites: In 'Schindler's List' which was filmed beautifully in all-black and white except for a little girls coat. During the evacuation (theres a different word for it, but I can't think of it right now) of the ghetto, Oskar watches the events from a near by hill top. There is a little girl in a red coat and hat that he watches run past dead bodies and evade the SS and Nazi soilders. Watching her you can see on his face that as those horrible actions againts people are taken, you see how he realizes how wrong it is. I think that the red coat and hat sort of symbolize the innoccent blood that is being spilt all because of hate. The red hat of course being blood, and the little girl innocence.
Beautifully stated, you seem to be the only person who's commented on this thread that actually said something that was significant and true.

Thinking about a movie...yeah.I know the feeling.Does anyone remember the planet of the apes?I didn't get it.What's with the end of this movie?It doesn't ring a bell.Stupid story or stupid me?haha

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Natural Born Killers shows that killing people is a hoot.

yes this is true.

In fact after I watched it I rescue some trailer park trash girl and together us two went on a redneck killin' spree!!!

Unfortunately she wasn't as cute, loveably annoying, or adorable as Juliette Lewis, so I killed her to

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Clockwork I agree with. Even though the book is better then the film.And I agree with the fact that Kubrick uses symbolism alot.For instance in FMJ, we have private joker's helmet with the peace pin and "Born to Kill" in big black letters.This is suggesting the duality of man.
Well, that doesn't really count since Joker explains that to us. There is a lot of symbolism to do with duality though, and that scene is there to hint us about it. One examplee of 'duality' in the film includes it's two-act narrative and the way they contrast - the first is tightly structured, the second is loose; the first has a strict set of military rules, the second has characters disobeying the rules; Snowball, Eightball; Private Pyle, Animal Mother...

Plus, there's also that terrific shot of Joker's face at the end of the film where his dual nature is visually manifested with some some superb lighting techniques.