Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by cazz
ok sorry i snapped
cazz
x
x
All good girl!

These forums really seem to have a lot of good folks on them. More so than many forums on the web. I'll tell you I meant no offense to anyone! I do however mean it when I say Famke is the bomb! I have even converted my icon over to a GREAT shot of her with the Phoenix force eyes....

ladies, I meant no disrespect.... <bows)

Sedai

Originally Posted by Sedai
Did someone say you were stupid? I didn't see anything like that. I think the responses were kind of joke style "Wow I can't believe he hasn't heard of Dark Phoenix" responses.

Anyway:

The Dark Phoenix is a god-like entity that takes over the body of Jean Grey for a while, kind of pushing her pshyce back for a bit and there is this big inner struggle thing that occurs as well as the outer struggle with the rest of the team teying to deal with extracting the Phoenix Force without killing Jean.

I believe the third flick will cover the Phoenix stuff....
_Sedai
actually, it looks like the movie is gonna take a different route in the Phoenix story. it seems to me that the reason for her becoming Phoenix is evolution (judging from her final words in X2, which are the same exact words that Prof. X says in the first film btw) and not because of some alien entity taking over her body, which i think is a good idea, because introducing some out of the world element doesn't seem to fit in the mutant vs human theme which is central to both films...

Originally Posted by allecious3000
actually, it looks like the movie is gonna take a different route in the Phoenix story. it seems to me that the reason for her becoming Phoenix is evolution (judging from her final words in X2, which are the same exact words that Prof. X says in the first film btw) and not because of some alien entity taking over her body, which i think is a good idea, because introducing some out of the world element doesn't seem to fit in the mutant vs human theme which is central to both films...
I concur. In the 70s the whole alien possesion thread they followed went over fine as expectations were lower then. If anyone reads the title "New X-men", in my opinion the best X-men title out there right now, they have been following a whole 'second mutation' trip for a while now. Beast has changed to more cat-like and sensory, Emma Frost gained a diamond skin, and Phoenix has reared up again. Grant Morrison, the writer on this title, has done things with these characters that no other writer has ever done. Bringing a more human side to the X-men and shedding the super-hero cliche' and goof that sometimes prevades the X-men titles. I really hope they stay on the evolution road here, and with Singer directing I think they will. As for Famke....YUM. She is just oh so delicious with those fiery eyes

Famke fans might want to check out the film Lord of Illusions to see her play Dorthea, the enigmatic wife of an Illusionist whose tricks seem a little too real.

Hi
I like Ultimate X-men better than New X-men. The Planet X arc of New X-men didn't really change anything except the excellent Xorn revelation. It felt pretentious because I completely expect the dead characters to be revived thus eliminating any type of a climactic ending. Good writing though anyway..I have to say I honestly had no idea how they'd get out of that mess at part 3 though..

Originally Posted by Tuna
I like Ultimate X-men better than New X-men. The Planet X arc of New X-men didn't really change anything except the excellent Xorn revelation. It felt pretentious because I completely expect the dead characters to be revived thus eliminating any type of a climactic ending. Good writing though anyway..I have to say I honestly had no idea how they'd get out of that mess at part 3 though..

I am a fan of Ultimate as well, but I feel that book is nowhere as deep (emotionally) as Morrison's stuff. Bendis is tremendous talent, but I get the feeling he likes to do more obscure stuff, as his recent stint on Ultimate (although TOTALLY welcomed) was still sort of shallow. I read Ultimate for great art, more cinema-like breakdowns, as well as good writing. I read New X-men to experience the wild creativity of Morrison, I like the character set better (HUGE white queen fan) and mind bending concepts. I love both books equally I guess, but for very different reasons. I also am a massive Jean fan and Ultimate Jean falls short on many levels for me (Bendis appears to be changing this).

Re: Part 3 of Planet X. This has to be some of the best characterization I have ever read in a comic book, or any book for that matter. After initial fear that I would get another lame-ass Wolvie-Jean love triangle teen scene, I was treated to heartfelt, mature, respectable conversation between two adults. I am a 32 year-old man who was moved to misty eyes by an x-men comic book. Grant Morrison is so in touch with this material right now, and is taking it in such a fresh direction, that I am reading X-men stories that are totally original for the first time since I can remember (been reading x-men since the 70s). Basically I feel that issue is one of the best X-men comics ever.That said I was extremely disappointed when Morrison reneged on keeping Magneto dead...

Alas, I am no where near as mad at Grant as with Claremont for killing Psylocke

But didn't they sugest that the Pheonix was already inside Jean Grey, in the begining of the film she said she's been having trouble consentrating and Cyclops says that when she has nightmares the whole room shakes. This, to me, sugests that it's already inside her and trying to take over.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
I am a fan of Ultimate as well, but I feel that book is nowhere as deep (emotionally) as Morrison's stuff. Bendis is tremendous talent, but I get the feeling he likes to do more obscure stuff....I read New X-men to experience the wild creativity of Morrison, I like the character set better (HUGE white queen fan) and mind bending concepts....

....Re: Part 3 of Planet X. This has to be some of the best characterization I have ever read in a comic book, or any book for that matter. After initial fear that I would get another lame-ass Wolvie-Jean love triangle teen scene, I was treated to heartfelt, mature, respectable conversation between two adults. I am a 32 year-old man who was moved to misty eyes by an x-men comic book. Grant Morrison is so in touch with this material right now, and is taking it in such a fresh direction, that I am reading X-men stories that are totally original for the first time since I can remember (been reading x-men since the 70s). Basically I feel that issue is one of the best X-men comics ever.That said I was extremely disappointed when Morrison reneged on keeping Magneto dead...
I totally agree with your thoughts on Grant Morrison's fresh writing and characterization. I don't think anyone has been able to embrace Wolverine and write him so appropriately as Morrison has in New X-Men; and I especially love the strong separation he creates between character and character (ie: Emma Frost is written decidedly different than, say, Beast) and between character classes (ie: the younger students are written decidedly different than the actual X-Men).

I also agree with your assessment of Bendis' work on Ultimate X-Men. Primarily, Bendis prefers crime stories (made evident with his Powers story, and aka Goldfish, and so it seemed like he was reaching a little with New Mutants. He is still a fantastic writer, one of the best, and certainly a favorite of mine.

The Xorn/Magneto thing bugged me as well, particularly because I thought Xorn was a very compelling character. I never thought a "new" X-Man could be placed on the team with any level of security, but Morrison pulled it off with Xorn. The fact that Magneto was "dead" also proved quite interesting, since he was somewhat immortalized and regarded as a hero. That could have been taken down a very interesting road, and sometimes I wonder if Morrison was under some pressure to ressurrect Magneto and bring his name back out. If that was the case, then it could have been done much later (and not done through Xorn). Imagine what kind of character Morrison would have had if Magneto returned after all of this "immortalized" characterization, and what kind of amazing villain he would have been.

Hi
Oh my...
http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

" ... And with Warren Worthington (Archangel) moving with Professor X to the new "Excalibur," it's expected that Chris Claremont will be reviving the character Psylocke from the dead, Betsy Braddock, sister of "Excalibur" mainstay Captain Britain, and girlfriend of Warren. Claremont was repeatedly denied permission to bring her back from the dead, as part of Joe Quesada's stated dislike of deaths being temporary in comics. However, with Grant Morrison doing the same in "X-Men," and Chris Claremont gaining a stronger grip on the X-books after the relative success of "X-Treme X-Men," that attitude seems to have been relaxed."