Did Forrest Gump and his son both have AIDS??

Tools    

As if the ending wasn't sad enough..

It seems like Jenny died from AIDS, because she had a lot of sex and shared needles with people all throughout the 70's (when HIV/AIDS was spreading and no one knew). And when she was diagnosed, the doctors didnt know what it was. She was just slowly decaying.. so it seems like all signs point to AIDS.

She came back had sex with Forest after her wild partying days and its entirely possible that she passed it onto him. If not, she could have picked it up after she left him and ran away again (during which time she had the kid and got the waitressing job), but that means that the KID still got the AIDS from her blood during pregnancy. I doubt she picked up the virus after she had the kid, because it seemed like she got her act together and was a responsible parent and not a whore anymore.

So because she was so reckless and loose in her younger days, that poor little kid got AIDS?? And probably Forest too, since I assume they boned after she came back for the last time and got married??

I know this whole theory is based on the assumption that Jenny did, in fact, die from AIDS. But I really think thats what the story implied.

My favorite movie of all time and I'll never be able to look at the same way. This is some messed up sh*t

Yes, the implication is that it was AIDS that killed Jenny. However, even an undiagnosed woman who carried the baby to term would not necessarily transmit HIV to the child, or to a lover in one sexual coupling. It's a bit of Russian Roulette, of course, but not an automatic thing. Even though an HIV-positive woman can transmit the virus to her baby during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and through breastfeeding, even if she takes no preventive drugs and breastfeeds the chance of her baby becoming infected is around 20-45%. Not good odds, obviously, but also not a certainty.

So when dealing with a piece of fiction, as Forrest Gump is, it still leaves plenty of room for a happy if unlikely ending. I haven't read the novel on which the film was based, so I don't know if it is covered any more explicitly in the book, but I think the clear implication in the flick is that neither Gump is infected. Not that they know of, anyway. Even if they were, it would be with HIV first and not AIDS, so it may not present itself for many years, if ever, and when it did it may be treatable at the HIV stage in the way that say Magic Johnson has dealt with his diagnosis for nearly twenty years now.

But...you do know it's just a movie, yes?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Mig
I never thought of AIDS. It is my assuption that once Forrest stops telling his story, the events are supposed to be set in the time it was made (the 90's), and I think they would have diagnosed with AIDS then if that was in fact her disease, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Haley Joel Osment who plays Junior at the end of the film was five when it was being filmed. Based on the events depicted, the film's "present day" has to be the early 1980s which coincides with the idea which the virus Jenny mentions is HIV. However, I never considered that the male characters had HIV, but that doesn't mean anything except that I didn't. Now, I like Forrest Gump a lot as entertainment, but my wife hates it because of the way she feels it trashes the Jenny character.

Forrest Gumps gumpness would deflect any HIV or AIDs. Im sure his son has his gumpness too. Seriously how else could someone go thru all that he did as well as he did. One of the greatest movies ever made, and Im glad you reminded me of this gem as I replace Caddyshack with it in my top ten list.

John Ford rocks!!!
I hope just the retard had AIDS!!! I hated that movie! "Die Forrest die"!!! LOL.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Oh yes! He called the guy retard! He's sooo awesome!

Haley Joel Osment who plays Junior at the end of the film was five when it was being filmed. Based on the events depicted, the film's "present day" has to be the early 1980s which coincides with the idea which the virus Jenny mentions is HIV. However, I never considered that the male characters had HIV, but that doesn't mean anything except that I didn't. Now, I like Forrest Gump a lot as entertainment, but my wife hates it because of the way she feels it trashes the Jenny character.
Yeah, Jenny really isn't much of a character to like. Other than her "Run, Forrest! Run!" when they're kids and the natural sympathy you have for her with the implication of her Hellish childhood in her home, afterwards when she is grown she really is a bit of a ditz who unintentionally but also unfeelingly treats Forrest like *****, that is until she hits the end of her road and finally realizes what a swell fella he is and oh by the way has no more options left.

But my biggest problem with Forrest Gump isn't really the Jenny character, though she is poorly written. No, it's the betrayal of the central message of the film at the end there when he actually meets Forrest Jr. The throughline of the movie is, "Stupid is as stupid does" and his Momma's dogged and sometimes fierce defense of Forrest as no worse than anybody else on the planet just because his I.Q. is lower than normal. There's more to the story, of course, but in regards to Forrest's character and what it is able to get away with the central point is that a "slow" boy or man is no less human and in this case a damn sight less cruel and judgmental than so many of the "normal" people he encounters. But then comes the moment when he goes back to Jenny's apartment and she makes him realize that her son is their son. What is Forrest's reaction, and a move that is supposed to illicit tears for the audience? He gets all choked up and asks...

FORREST
He's the most beautiful thing I've
ever seen. But...is, is he smart,
or is he

JENNY
He's very smart. He's one of the
smartest in his class.

Yippee! A happy ending after all! Seems even Forrest himself hasn't learned that it doesn't matter a lick if that boy is dumb as a bag of hammers or a genius, that it is his humanity that matters most and for always. I hate the way that moment is played. Well thank goodness the boy ain't a 'tard too, we know what a horrible burden that is. Oh, wait, the whole film has just been telling us it was a blessing for Forrest Sr., why should we treat Jr. any different?

I don't hate Forrest Gump, though I do despise that cheap and contradictory sentiment that's thrown in there at the end. I don't think it's one of the best movies ever made, or of the 1990s, or an especially worthy Best Picture winner. But as an entertainment it has some nice comedy layered in, some dark edges, good performances, Bob Zemeckis is a terrific cinematic craftsman, and for being 142 minutes long it breezes through most of them.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forrest.jpg
Views:	352282
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	12953  

I hope just the retard had AIDS!!! I hated that movie! "Die Forrest die"!!! LOL.
Could this get more neg rep than the currently leading 'i hate gays' post?

Yippee! A happy ending after all! Seems even Forrest himself hasn't learned that it doesn't matter a lick if that boy is dumb as a bag of hammers or a genius, that it is his humanity that matters most and for always. I hate the way that moment is played. Well thank goodness the boy ain't a 'tard too, we know what a horrible burden that is. Oh, wait, the whole film has just been telling us it was a blessing for Forrest Sr., why should we treat Jr. any different?
I read that scene a bit differently. While the film was telling us that Forrest Sr. was fine just the way he was, the character himself didn't necessarily always think so; it caused plenty of difficulty for him, even if things turned out well. And his road is, of course, highly improbable (which is part of the joy of it).

Mostly, though, I think it's just the most natural reaction for a parent to have. The Greatest Generation is certainly proud of their time served in World War II, and most probably feel it's a big part of what made them who they are. I imagine many wouldn't trade it for anything...but they'd still wish an easier road for their children.

Anyway, it remains one of my favorite films. And for the record, the big tearjerker for me is always the hug in front of the Washington Monument.

Yeah, Jenny really isn't much of a character to like. Other than her "Run, Forrest! Run!" when they're kids and the natural sympathy you have for her with the implication of her Hellish childhood in her home, afterwards when she is grown she really is a bit of a ditz who unintentionally but also unfeelingly treats Forrest like *****, that is until she hits the end of her road and finally realizes what a swell fella he is and oh by the way has no more options left.
That's true, but that's not a character, that's just women in general when they hit their mid-late 30's.

I'm with Yoda in regards to the rest of your post.

Thanks for comments you guys.

Jenny lives with Forrest, they bang, she leaves, has a kid, contracts AIDS, then realizes Forrest is the only one who will have her, Jenny was a whore... and she treated Forrest like $hit. I hope AIDS was very uncomfortable for her before she died.

Mig
But my biggest problem with Forrest Gump isn't really the Jenny character, though she is poorly written
I don't think she was poorly written at all.

She's confused and ends up hurting the one who cares about her the most, I don't see how that's poorly written, those things happen in real life.

In a way her journey is somewhat paralel to Forrest's, only she makes some poor choises and don't seem bless by the same fortune as him.

I think that scene where he asks about his son's mental condition is one of the most powerful in the film, by acknowledging his mental weakness he is actually showing his mental strength.

What indications are there that the final events take place in the 80's? Any references to TV shows or indications by fashion?

To me it looked like the 90's though I haven't thought much about it, and since it was made in the 90's, I just presumed that's when it took place.

If it was the 80's then I'm inclined to believe the AIDS theory.

First thing you do not contract AID's, you contract the HIV virus. AID's is the inevitable end to the HIV cycle if you will, with todays medicine that can be controlled to allow a person to live basically a full life. But as it has already been pointed out above that this was set sometime during the 80's when the treatment was not available like it is today, so once contracted the virus could morph into the deadly AID's virus within as little as 5 years maybe less.

So given the time and the lack of knowledge surrounding the subject it's very plausible that her son has the disease to and depending on whether she contract the disorder before or after she slept with Forest he could very well have it as well. But as it has also been said above it's not certain that they both have the disease, but given the time you could probably argue that it was likely.

Which puts a slightly depressive ending on the movie which was already quite depressing to start with.

I never did like that movie....

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Jenny lives with Forrest, they bang, she leaves, has a kid, contracts AIDS, then realizes Forrest is the only one who will have her, Jenny was a whore... and she treated Forrest like $hit. I hope AIDS was very uncomfortable for her before she died.
That's a pretty horrible thing to say. I wouldn't wish AIDS on anyone, it's a horrible disease. Maybe if she was a serial killer or a child molester I could understand you saying that, but just because she messes Forrest around a bit? Jeez.

I never really considered or even question Jenny's illness. Bringing up the possibility of AIDS is logical and very interesting. Thanks for bringing it up Black Rawkus.

+rep

Welcome to the human race...
I feel a little sorry for people who haven't seen Forrest Gump and see this thread's title.

I feel a little sorry for people who haven't seen Forrest Gump and see this thread's title.
Forrest Gump was released in 1994; fifteen years ago now. It won a bag full of Oscars, including Best Picture, was a huge world-wide hit and became a cultural touchstone. I think we can probably take off the spoiler warning kid gloves, donthcyathink?

See also THIS thread.