Breaking Bad

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I've seen the first season and a half thus far and I've enjoyed it, it's nothing that I would call amazing just thus far, however, I have enjoyed it, and do think it'll continue getting better.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I just saw a short clip today of an interview with the guy who plays Hank -- at Comicon.
WARNING: "Breaking Bad, possible future episodes" spoilers below

He came right out and said that Hank IS going to find out about Walt's activities and that we'll see the consequences of the two of them facing off about that.

Nothing else in that snippet of info, but enough to make me remember that we still HAVEN'T seen Hank figure it all out yet. Even with the demise of Gus, he's still got something niggling at the back of his brain that makes him realize something's not quite right. Gosh, that character's instincts are good.

As for who's getting killed in the show in the last season: It could be Hank. Hank would make sense... especially given this interview snippet. Once Hank knows what's going on, I just don't see him covering up for Walt. Not at this point. Too much has happened -- too many bad things have happened as a direct consequence of Walt's drug activity, including Hank's limp, for Hank to simply ignore it because Walt's family. He already knows the White marriage isn't doing too well, and he's heard from Walt directly (even if it was a ruse to plant a bug in Hank's office) that Skylar doesn't feel Walt is good for the children.

Once Hank knows for sure that Walt's cooking meth, and is the kingpin, well, he'll side with Skylar and want Walt put away for everyone's safety.

And that's when Walt would feel he has to kill him.

---

WARNING: "Recent episodes" spoilers below
Side question: Did they show us Walt's reaction to the shooting of the little kid at the end of the last episode? I know we saw Jesse yelling "No!" and lurching forward, but I think they didn't show us Walt's reaction at all. That would have told us a lot. Can't wait to see how everyone acts post-kid-killing in the next episode....

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Walt seemed a little indifferent to the shooting but we'll see.

the whole bugging scene - when Walt put the pug behind the photo frame on Hank's desk and Hank walks back in and Walt's still holding the picture? if Hank ends up finding that bug he might remember that and it could be that little thing which would tip him off about Walt.

I'm surprised it's right on the back of a picture frame, frankly. That seems a bit too easy to spot. I mean, I used to keep pictures on my desk at work and I'd move 'em every so often just to dust or if I had to put a bunch of stuff on the desk. Plus, Hank's desk isn't up against a wall, so the back of that frame is just sittin' out there for the folks across from him to see.

A system of cells interlinked
He took the frame apart and put the bug behind the backing.

Walt seemed a little indifferent to the shooting but we'll see.

the whole bugging scene - when Walt put the pug behind the photo frame on Hank's desk and Hank walks back in and Walt's still holding the picture? if Hank ends up finding that bug he might remember that and it could be that little thing which would tip him off about Walt.
Yeah, I've kind of imagined the scene already. Hank with the picture in hand. Realization spreads across his face. The picture falls. Glass breaks. Cut to commercial.

I'm so nervous watching this show anymore. It's so good, but I think it's giving me ulcers! Anyone can go at this point, even Walt's children, and it breaks my heart thinking about some of the people not making it to the end of the show. I've made peace with the idea that Walt will die, however I'd rather not see Hank or Jesse or even psycho Skylar get killed.

I've made peace with the idea that Walt will die.
Do you think he will? It seems too easy for this show, but
WARNING: "Breaking Bad season 4" spoilers below
then again I thought the same about Gus. If they're able to kill Walt with the kind of impact with which they killed Fring (and I have no doubt they would) then maybe that is the way to go.

Aye, they can make it spectacular. An explosion. Burned alive, as I argued for last month. But then, if someone we know kills him--someone like Jesse, for example, and maybe ONLY Jesse--then it doesn't have to be, because then the shock will be that he did it. It won't need to be superficially thrilling or overly violent.

I'll bet against Jesse doing it, though, because I still think Walt's actions have to have an element of Divine judgment in them, even if only because his cancer has returned and that indirectly puts him in some other situation that leads to his demise. And I think Jesse can sort of come out of the other side of this if he refuses to pass that judgment on Walt, but let it happen on its own.

But we'll see. They've set Jesse up really nicely: clearly capable of killing, but very distraught, and he seems to actually understand how wrong it is, and how badly it breaks a person. After killing Gale, he said he understood now that he was the "bad guy." He's not, of course, in the sense that even saying that shows more goodness and self-reflection than Walt is capable of at this point. But he might embrace that and see it as his responsibility to put down the Problem Dog Walt has become, seeing as how he's the one who helped save him so many times.

Do you think he will? It seems to easy for this show, but
WARNING: "Breaking Bad season 4" spoilers below
then again I thought the same about Gus. If they're able to kill Walt with the kind of impact with which they killed Fring (and I have no doubt they would) then maybe that is the way to go.
WARNING: "meh" spoilers below
Yes. Bryan Cranston has come out and said that Walt will not survive the run of the show. He doesn't know how the character will die, but he does know that it is going to happen.

WARNING: "Possible End of Breaking Bad" spoilers below
I've seen Cranston say that he thinks this is the only logical conclusion, but I've never seen him confirm that he literally knows, IE: has been told, or has seen any writing to this effect. He said earlier this year that he hasn't even talked to Gilligan about it, but just thinks it has to happen. Is there some other report that says this explicitly?

WARNING: "Possible End of Breaking Bad" spoilers below
I've seen Cranston say that he thinks this is the only logical conclusion, but I've never seen him confirm that he literally knows, IE: has been told, or has seen any writing to this effect. He said earlier this year that he hasn't even talked to Gilligan about it, but just thinks it has to happen. Is there some other report that says this explicitly?
This is an older interview, but I thought I had seen a newer one where he said the same. You have to go to about 2:05, but he's pretty certain.

Plus, when you look at all the foreshadowing, the most recent being the throw-away line about everyone dying at the end of Scarface, I can't imagine it ending any other way.

I downloaded first 4 seasons...i finished with first and beginning with second...omg,what a show...this is best show ever...

Soooo... last night's episode. (We even switched off the Steelers game to watch it -- couldn't wait till today.)
WARNING: "Most recent episode" spoilers below
We're pretty sure that Walt's going to cut a deal -- or even team up -- with the two guys who wanted to buy the methylamine. He could then pay off Jesse and Mike and have "replacements" for them both. Seems a bit early to have Jesse totally duck out of the show, though, so I expect a bunch of "tendrils" to need some wrap-up after this happens.

And I kept hearing the DEA guys saying, "Even experts make mistakes" (or whatever they said after Mike left their second questioning of him). So, where did Mike make a mistake, or where will he? And could that be a way for Hank to find out about Walt?

So many huge twists and turns this season so far. Not sure any of us really predicted any of them (the specifics, anyway), and yet it feels like a huge load of momentum. Two more episodes in this half-season, I think... (sigh)

The barrels. Those awful barrels again. We see them a lot; they've come to signify hiding your sins and mistakes. They're the Memory Hole you can throw anything into. They make the evidence go away, even if the more conscientious people like Jesse continue living with the guilt. But not to Walt. Walt, who famously disparaged the notion of a "soul" when Gretchen offered it as an explanation for what that exactly little "something" was that made people what they are. Walt, who even back then, before he completely lost his way, still saw people as just chemicals. Walt, who thinks that when the evidence is gone, so is the stain of the deed.

They're a powerful metaphor, for all these reasons, and even moreso because of the way they do their work: they eat away at things. Sound like any diseases any of our characters may have?

"I am in the empire business."

Did anyone find the train job to be the most far-fetched, ridiculous thing they've ever done?
Not at all. They've literally gotten away with murder. They've driven a moving truck into a police impound and used a giant magnet to erase a laptop. They've survived run-ins with the Mexican drug cartel. They've blown up a retirement home. They've cooked meth for a year with a DEA agent in Walt's family!

No, not even close. The only thing I found far-fetched about the train robbery was the fact that the train conductor was able to stop the train before it plowed into the truck.