Your take on downloading movies

Tools    

Just a girl who loves movies
In my town there are few stores where I can get movies from. most of the time they have a huge price (we import and many of these firms put a scandaluous commission for them) .. I would pay such huge prices in the end, but to be honest I am not interested in action movies, Bond movies and other crappy things they have. If I go there ask for "Sophie's Choice" or "The Hours" or "The Empire of the Sun" or you name it (some serious movies), they look at me as if I was ET

So .. unfortunately .. if I want to still see some good movies and increase my knowledge I have to use the downloads.

i dont really care, but i dont do it because i like buying them and actually own them.. feels better than a burned one in my opinion

-The Breakfast Club

I think downloading movies is great and I do it all the time. Personally, I view film, atleast excellent film, as art. And how can you put a price on art? Then again, everyone has to pay the mortgage, so someone has to profit from the production of a film.

But you can also look at the fact that although downloading movies for free is how a good and increasing amount of the population watches film, more than half of America's population still continue to buy instead of download. So in my opinion, until the film industry begins to lose heavy sums of money because films are being download instead of bought, I dont think downloading movies should be a large concern or atleast not large enough to crack down on...

Do it. Go ahead and download them. Eff' everybody that worked on them. They don't need to make money. Hollywood doesn't need ridiculous amounts of money to spend on movies that require huge budgets. It's not your money you're taking. I'm sure if you had a million dollars and a couple of hundred people got into your banking account and took some money whenever they felt like it you wouldn't mind. I MEAN COME ON! Sure it's not yours and you didn't do anything to make it but you really want to see it. YOU WANT TO SEE IT REAL BAD! So go ahead and be one of those guys that takes something that isn't theirs and then feel free to say it sucks. I actually encourage you to say it sucks. You have the right because you have the means. THE MEANS MAKE IT SO! Don't lets your actions justify you're principals when you can justify your actions with the power of hindsight. TAKE THE MOVIES! Download them, steal them from the store, buy them from people who steal them. Do whatever it takes, JUST GET YOU GRUBBY LITTLE HANDS ON THEM! I love it when people walk up to something I've made and look at it for a second and say it sucks. It makes me jump around with joy. I'd like it even more if they stole it from me and then told everyone they saw that it sucks. That's what I love about people.

STEAL MOVIES BECAUSE YOU'D LET PEOPLE STEAL YOURS!

EDIT:
And by the way, to whoever might care, Yoda I'm looking at you , having people dicuss where they can download illegal copies of movies could be a bad thing for this site.

I'm off to download illegal movies... just give me some time to come up with a good way to justify it.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by adidasss
Yeah, you're real thuggin', partner. I download films for the same reason a dog licks his balls. Plus, because it's free and I'm already going to hell so...
If I was a dog I'd still preffer someone else lick my balls, but you do whatever it is you do.

And yes, I am real thuggin, partner.

I'm addicted to downloading movies. What are your favorite sites?
same here brother but can't share sites with you,well not here

to Pimp and other Americans I understand you and the laws against d/l movies and any kind of media are very strict and you can end in prison(not sure) but actually movie piracy came from you because you go to cinema with your video camera hide it under the jacket shoot and then upload it somewhere same it is with DVD's(you just rip it)

No you're not, you're a little nerdy rich boy self righteous wanna be "thug". My point was, you're wasting your breath trying to convert us, if I felt any guilt about downloading films, I wouldn't keep doing it. Just to elaborate my rationale, I don't equate downloading films and TV shows with stealing simply because they're not tangible. In my mind, stealing refers only to material things, which a bunch of bytes aren't. Hence no guilt. And just so you know, every film I genuinely like and is available in Croatia, I buy (only because I like dvd boxes mind you, not for some ridiculous idea of "supporting the authors", they get enough money as it is).

No you're not, you're a little nerdy rich boy self righteous wanna be "thug". My point was, you're wasting your breath trying to convert us, if I felt any guilt about downloading films, I wouldn't keep doing it. Just to elaborate my rationale, I don't equate downloading films and TV shows with stealing simply because they're not tangible. In my mind, stealing refers only to material things, which a bunch of bytes aren't. Hence no guilt. And just so you know, every film I genuinely like and is available in Croatia, I buy (only because I like dvd boxes mind you, not for some ridiculous idea of "supporting the authors", they get enough money as it is).
Actually I'm a hardcore thug-G-money-maker and I live in the worst part of the hood and sleep with homeless dogs. And, I'm not trying to "convert" you into thinking the way I do. You're obviously "that guy" and don't understand what it takes for a movie to be made and distributed.

B-Card...
What are you trying to get at?

A system of cells interlinked
More times than not, I have seen insults and the 'ol "My country is better than your country" discussions turn sour, fast. If you must, please retire to the Argument Relocation Thread, and let fly there.

Thanks

-S

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0

B-Card...
All I'm saying is that you are scared that's all(no hard feelings right?)

Actually I'm a hardcore thug-G-money-maker and I live in the worst part of the hood and sleep with homeless dogs. And, I'm not trying to "convert" you into thinking the way I do. You're obviously "that guy" and don't understand what it takes for a movie to be made and distributed.

B-Card...
Even if I don't fully understand what it takes for a movie to be filmed and distributed (do you?) , I haven't seen Hollywood fall on its arse yet, and it's unlikely to happen in the near future despite all this "stealing" going on. People will still go to the theatre and spend way to much money for 2 hours of entertainment, so scuze me for taking some of that money back and putting it to better use.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Adi, to my mind, I don't count whether something is stealing based on how much money the original owner has. For instance, is it not theft if you steal jewelry from a wealthy woman? Just because she can buy ten more just like it, does that make it not theft for you to steal it? That's called situational ethics, and I personally won't have any of it. It's selfishness, class envy, and nothing more.

Also, just because it's "bytes" means it's not stealing? Not sure I understand this. People pay for all sorts of things that can't be "seen" tangibly. Anyone in the service industry gets paid for intangible things. I'm a proofreader. I'd like to continue getting paid, although I don't produce anything someone can "do" anything with. I get paid for picking out mistakes, for offering advice.

It's not really an argument you're making.

I'm also a writer, and by your thinking, it wouldn't be wrong to take any books I'd get published and photocopy them for someone else rather than buying a copy. Trust me: Most novelists don't get enough to live on, so your argument would totally starve most of us writers. It's a really really really good thing most of us don't do it for the money. And it looks like you'd be in line all ready to take the little we do get right out of our mouths.

Or maybe you'd only photocopy Stephen King's books and J.K. Rowling's books because they have enough money already.

I find this the lowest, most selfish type of argument in this thread. It's vulgar, tasteless, and not worthy of someone who says they enjoy and love movies and entertainment.

Just my two cents.

Even if I don't fully understand what it takes for a movie to be filmed and distributed (do you?) , I haven't seen Hollywood fall on its arse yet, and it's unlikely to happen in the near future despite all this "stealing" going on. People will still go to the theatre and spend way to much money for 2 hours of entertainment, so scuze me for taking some of that money back and putting it to better use.
I've got a decent understanding... that's what a degree in digital film and video production will tend to do. How in the hecks-world are you putting money to better use if you don't pay for anything and steal it? Personally, I don't go to theaters because I think they charge too much. See how that works? I think they charge too much, so I don't go. I don't sneak in. That wouldn't be very gangster and I'd come across as an amature thug at best, and the ladies don't like to get down with no-budget-ballers. So instead, I happily fork over a couple of dollars and thank the rental place for letting me take this movie home for a couple of days and think about how cool it is that I can view something, for 3 dollars, that costs millions to make.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Adi, to my mind, I don't count whether something is stealing based on how much money the original owner has. For instance, is it not theft if you steal jewelry from a wealthy woman? Just because she can buy ten more just like it, does that make it not theft for you to steal it? That's called situational ethics, and I personally won't have any of it. It's selfishness, class envy, and nothing more.

Also, just because it's "bytes" means it's not stealing? Not sure I understand this. People pay for all sorts of things that can't be "seen" tangibly. Anyone in the service industry gets paid for intangible things. I'm a proofreader. I'd like to continue getting paid, although I don't produce anything someone can "do" anything with. I get paid for picking out mistakes, for offering advice.

It's not really an argument you're making.

I'm also a writer, and by your thinking, it wouldn't be wrong to take any books I'd get published and photocopy them for someone else rather than buying a copy. Trust me: Most novelists don't get enough to live on, so your argument would totally starve most of us writers. It's a really really really good thing most of us don't do it for the money. And it looks like you'd be in line all ready to take the little we do get right out of our mouths.

Or maybe you'd only photocopy Stephen King's books and J.K. Rowling's books because they have enough money already.

I find this the lowest, most selfish type of argument in this thread. It's vulgar, tasteless, and not worthy of someone who says they enjoy and love movies and entertainment.

Just my two cents.
I wasn't trying to justify downloading, just explain my take on it, the way I think. Stealing something from the rich doesn't justify it, but it helps you feel a bit better knowing you haven't starved an author by not paying for the fruits of his/her labor. By not paying 30 dollars for a DVD, I'm hardly making a difference regarding a film that has already made a few million. I dowload films I can't watch because they're not available in Croatia...I know none of that justifies it from a moral standpoint, but that's how things are.

I didn't mean just because it's bytes it's not stealing, I meant it doesn't "feel" like stealing. I would certainly never refuse to pay an individualized service such as yours, but a generic one, yes. Call me morally depraved, but I think most such products are highly overpriced, I refuse to pay 50 dollars for a video game if I can download it practically for free. Same with films. I repeat, all films that are available in Croatia that I really enjoyed I buy, but only when they're on discount and cost about 10 dollars. I simply don't have the money to buy them all full priced. And yet I want to see them. You said so yourself, you don't write to make money, you write because you like to write, so why should it be any different with films? Shouldn't filmmakers be artists and take pleasure from their art being seen all over the world? Lord knows most of them already get payed a fixed amount of money for the work they do, the rest goes in the pockets of producers.

I buy every book I read simply because they're cheaper than films and reading a photocopied copy doesn't feel the same as reading a proper one. Burning a DVD and watching it on the television on the other hand, is exactly the same experience as watching an original.

I've got a decent understanding... that's what a degree in digital film and video production will tend to do. How in the hecks-world are you putting money to better use if you don't pay for anything and steal it? Personally, I don't go to theaters because I think they charge too much. See how that works? I think they charge too much, so I don't go. I don't sneak in. That wouldn't be very gangster and I'd come across as an amature thug at best, and the ladies don't like to get down with no-budget-ballers. So instead, I happily fork over a couple of dollars and thank the rental place for letting me take this movie home for a couple of days and think about how cool it is that I can view something, for 3 dollars, that costs millions to make.
And if you can't rent it?

And if you can't rent it?
Then you can't rent it. That was the point of my theater rant. Pay attention.

"A filmmaker should be content with people all over the world watching there movies, (because I think I would)." - Adidasss

Did I understand you right?