Best film score ever?

Tools    

David Julyan's scores are beautiful and often understated. Not too dramatic, but not too nonchalant, just the right balance. He went to uni with Nolan and has scored 4 of his films. His best work, of course, was the score he did for Memento. Stunning score and perfectly fits in with the tone of the film itself.

I really enjoy any score Clint Mansell does. Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain are beautiful.

Jonny Greenwoods score for There Will Be Blood is my favorite. And anything Clint Mansell has done with Aronofsky. The Shining as well, scariest/best part of the whole movie.

I am not sure who wrote the score but the music for "Presumed Innocent" was quite chilling and I thought was a good score, also "American Beauty" had some decent music in it.

I'll break a lance here for Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' brilliant but largely overlooked score for The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford.

&feature=related

&feature=related

&feature=related

Matrix was great (1 and 2 - though 3 sucked). Also, the asian trilogy "Infernal Affairs" 1-3 which most of you have not seen is ....really superb.

One of my favorites is the score from The Mission by Ennio Morricone. De Niro was brilliant in that film.

Also, 2001: A Space Odyssey...music not written for the film, but the variety of composers forms an amazing score.

Originally Posted by lutherdclooney
Also, the asian trilogy "Infernal Affairs" 1-3 which most of you have not seen is ....really superb.
That seems like a stupid assumption...

macross plus
slumdog millionaire

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I think Scorcese is excellent at selecting scores for his films.

Warriors has been mentioned. Classic!

Synecdoche, New York is one of my favorite scores. Jon Brion always does a fantastic job.

I love Philip Glass's scoring of The Hours as well.

Its hard for me to choose the best film score ever. There are several that are great. But Im really impressed with Zimmer's work. His latest work on the Batman movies was brilliant.