The 100 favorite movies of Lines Palsy

→ in
Tools    

It's a correspondence course. When you are done with linespalsy 101 you will no longer fear life. You will be at one with nature and unicorns. Girls will like you. Give me money.

19. Mr. Vampire (1985)

A great kung-fu movie. A great horror movie. A great comedy.

18. The Red Shoes (1948)

One of the best "show-biz" dramas.

17. The Muppet Movie (1979)

The best road film ever.

16. The Thin Red Line (1998)

Saw this on the big screen in my junior or senior year of High School and had many of its images stuck in my head for weeks after that.

15. Aguirre (1972)

A wild fantasy of incest and dominion over everything. King of the bastard films.

14. The Lady From Shanghai (1947)

Welles really outdid himself as a visual humorist with a unique style in this film.

13. Once Upon a Time in China (1991)

I almost gave up on this the first time but I made it to the scene at the theatre where Yuen Biao drops a bucket of mud on Rosamond Kwan and then follows her home in the rain. Ever since then this has ranked amongst my favorite films and Tsui Hark as a director who I'll always keep my eye on.

12. Limbo (1999)

Going to see this at the movies in high school, without knowing anything about it at all is one of my top five film-going experiences ever.

11. Dead Ringers (1988)

I think of this as the incestuous twin of Peter Greenaway's A Zed & Two Naughts...

11. Dead Ringers (1988)

I think of this as the incestuous twin of Peter Greenaway's A Zed & Two Naughts...
I want to see this now. Thanks.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

A Zed & Two Noughts (1985)

A witty, satirical and beautifully-photographed discussion of aesthetics, biology, grief, and death.

Prospero's Books (1991)

This is a visually-lush, meta-theatrical, frame within a frame within a frame adaptation of The Tempest, starring John Gielgud -- one of the 20th Century's most beloved stage actors -- as both Prospero and Shakespeare. Peter Greenaway always structures his films around lists and this time around it's a list of 23 surviving books from Prospero's library in Milan, and the film relies as much on images and ideas from these arcane texts as it does on Shakespeare's play. It's sort of like a filmed version of an annotated Tempest, except that each of these annotations is a text which requires a ton of annotations itself, and reveals more than it ever explains. The inner frame is a performance of the play, itself a frame narrative because the tempest is a theatrical spectacle that Prospero inflicts on an unwitting audience and actors, an running parallel to the action there's a sustained commentary on the 'magic' of theatre and spectacle.

A large part of the reason this film exists is simply so that Gielgud could record an amazing performance as every character in the play as well as the mind behind it. His Prospero is a wizard who seems to be living more than one life in more than one time simultaneously.

Near the end of the play Prospero destroys his magic staff and closes his books, which sets up one of the most affecting moments -- when Prospero drowns his books and sets Ariel "free". The final speech encapsulates the play perfectly:

Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
And what strength I have's mine own,
Which is most faint: now, 'tis true,
I must be here confined by you,
Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And pardon'd the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell;
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands:
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.

Welcome to the human race...
^ You're kidding.

Anyway, this was one hell of a show, lines. Nice work.

I love Tampopo, I almost had it on my list as well. I had to make room for movies like Gladiator and Trick or Treat though so whatareyougonnado?

Thanks fellas. I haven't seen Trick or Treat but I can't imagine it's better than Tampopo. Have you seen any of Juzo Itami's other films? Minbo almost made my list too. A Taxing Woman, A Taxing Woman's Return and The Funeral are all great.

Prospero is kidding, Lawrence of Arabia is on his top 100 too . I wonder if he's seen Prospero's Books though?

Thanks fellas. I haven't seen Trick or Treat but I can't imagine it's better than Tampopo. Have you seen any of Juzo Itami's films? Minbo almost made my list too. A Taxing Woman, A Taxing Woman's Return and The Funeral are all great.

Prospero is kidding, Lawrence of Arabia is on his top 100 too . I wonder if he's seen Prospero's Books though?
It surprised even me that Lawrence was only #51 on my list, but in looking at the other movies, that seemed to be about where it belonged.

I have not seen Prospero's Books, but I suppose I should. (My handle is taken from Shakespeare's The Tempest).