Quote of the Day

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
"Faith is a torment. It is like loving someone who is out there in the darkness but never appears, no matter how loudly you call." -Antonius Block (Max von Sydow) in The Seventh Seal

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The End Has Come
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace in a continual state of alarm (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing them with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
-H. L. Mencken

Oh, this thread is definately home.

Moff Jerjerrod: Lord Vader, this is an unexpected pleasure. We are honored by your presence.
Darth Vader: You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I'm here to put you back on schedule.
Jerjerrod: I assure you, Lord Vader. My men are working as fast as they can.
Vader: Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.
JerJerrod: I tell you, this station will be operational as planned.
Vader: The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.
JerJerrod: But he asks the impossible. I need more men.
Vader: Then perhaps you can tell him when he arrives.
Jerjerrod: The Emperor's coming here?
Vader: That is correct, Commander. And, he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.
Jerjerrod: We shall double our efforts.
Vader: I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.

Return of the Jedi

Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence. ~ Leonardo da Vinci (Born 15 April 1452)

Happy Birthday Leo…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence. ~ Leonardo da Vinci (Born 15 April 1452)

Happy Birthday Leo…

Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind. --Leonardo da Vinci

The End Has Come
"Look at everything as though you were seeing it for the first time or the last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory."
-Betty Smith

history *is* moralizing
Author - Pablo Neruda

Spanish - podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera
Albanian - mund të presin të gjitha lulet, por nuk mund të ndalojnë pranverën
Aragones - podrán tallar todas a flors, pero no podrán aturar a primabera
Basque - lore guztiak moztu ditzakete, baina ez dute lortuko udaberria geldiaraztea
Bolognese - i pôlen tajèr tótt i fiûr, mo i n pran mâi farmèr la prémmavaira
Brazilian Portuguese - podem até cortar todas as flores, mas jamais deterão a Primavera
Bresciano - j pol tajà i fiur, ma mja fermà la primaera
Breton - troc'hañ a c'hallont an holl vleunioù, ne harzint ket an nevezamzer avat
Calabrese - puanu taglià tutti i juri ma un puanu fermà a primavera
Catalan - podran tallar totes les flors, però no podran aturar la primavera
Cornish - treghy a yllyr an blejyow, mes hedhy an gwaynten ny wrer byken
Croatian - mogu posje i svo cvije e, ali nikada ne e zaustaviti prolje e
Danish - de kunne klippe blomsterne af, men de kunne ikke standse foråret
Dutch - ook al zouden ze alle bloemen plukken, de lente zullen ze niet tegen kunnen houden
English - they can cut all the flowers, but they'll never stop the Spring
Finnish - vaikka kaikki kukat voitaisiin leikata, kevättä ei voi pysäyttää
Flemish - ook al snijden zij alle bloemen af, de lente houden zij niet tegen
French - ils peuvent couper toutes les fleurs, mais ils ne pourront arrêter le printemps
Furlan - 'a puedin tajâ ducj i flôrs, ma no podaran fermâ la primevere
Galician - poderán cortar as flores, pero non poderán deter na primavera
German - sie können alle Blumen mähen, aber der Frühling lässt sich nicht aufhalten
Griko Salentino - sòzzune cozzi olu tus fiùru, ma è ssòzzune cai na mini ti pprimavèra
Hungarian - kivághatják az összes virágot, de a tavaszt nem tudják megállítani
Italian - possono tagliare tutti i fiori, ma non potranno fermare la primavera
Judeo Spanish - podran kortar todas las flores, ama no podran detener la primavera
Ladin - an pò taié via duc i ciofs, ma an ne pò nia tegní su l'aisciuda
Latin - poterunt omnes flores caedere, sed verem retinere non poterunt
Latvian - tie var nogriezt visus ziedus, bet tie nekad neaptur s pavasari
Limburgian - ze konne al de bloemme aofsnaaje at ze wille, mê den opgank haage ze ni tiëge
Mapunzugun - kom kaxügeafuy rume ta rayin welu tügümgelayay ta pewü
Mudnés - i èn bòun tòtt ed taiêr i fiôr, mo nisûn a pâl fermêr la primavêra
Neapolitan - ponno taglià tutt' 'e sciure, ma nun fermarranno 'a primmavera
Papiamentu - nan por kòrta tur flor, pero nan no por detené e primavera
Parmigiano - i poln tajär tut i fior, pero in podrán miga fermär la primavera
Piemontese - a podran pro tajé tute le fior, ma a podran pa fermé la prima
Polish - mog wyci wszystkie kwiaty, ale nie b d mogli zatrzyma wiosny
Portuguese - podem até cortar todas as flores, mas jamais deterão a Primavera
Romagnolo - a putrian tajé tott'e fiour, ma menga putrian firmé la proimavira
Sicilian - ponnu tagghiari tutti i sciuri, ma 'un ponnu firmari 'a primavera
Spanish - podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera
Swedish - dom kan skära ner alla blommor men dom kommer aldrig att kunna stoppa våren
Umbro-Sabino - puossu tajà tutti ri fiuri, ma nun putraju fermà ra primaera
Venetian - i pol tajar tuti i fiuri ma no i podarà fermar la primavera
Wallon - is polenut soyî totès lès fleûrs, is n vont måy djoker l prétins
Welsh - gallant dorri'r holl flodau, ond ni wnânt byth atal y gwanwyn
Zeneize - peuan taggiâ tutte e scioî, ma no porrian affermâ a primmaveia

The End Has Come
"The soul that is within me no man can degrade."
-Frederick Douglas

Originally Posted by lor83b
"Look at everything as though you were seeing it for the first time or the last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with glory."
-Betty Smith

"Y'know, I've noticed an infestation here. Everywhere I look, in fact. Nothing but undeveloped, unevolved, barely conscience pond scum, totally convinced of their own superiority as they scurry about in their short, pointless lives." - Vincent D'Onofrio, in Men in Black

The End Has Come
Too many so-called leaders of the movement have been made into celebrities and their revolutionary fervor destroyed by mass media. They become Hollywood objects and lose identification with the real issues. The task is to transform society; only the people can do that—not heroes, not celebrities, not stars. The revolutionary’s place is in the community with the people.
-Huey Newton

"In the long run nothing can withstand reason and experience, and the contradiction religion offers to both is only too palpable." - Sigmund Freud

The End Has Come
"For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'"

-John Greenleaf Whittier, "Maud Muller"

"The problem with teenagers today is you don't know nothing. The problem with being a teenager is you think you know better than those who have been down the road you're traveling." - Morgan Freeman, in Lean on Me

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
~ Dr. Seuss

history *is* moralizing
Author - Winston Churchill

English - imagination consoles us for what we are not, humour for what we are
Aragones - a prexinazión nos acornota de lo que no podemos ser. L'umor nos acornota de lo que semos
Basque - irudimena dugu ez garenaren kontsolagarri, eta umorea, berriz, garenaren kontsolagarri
Bolognese - l'imaginaziån la s cunsåula par quall ch'a n sän brîSa, l umurîSum par quall ch'a sän
Brazilian Portuguese - a imaginação nos consola daquilo que não podemos ser, o humor daquilo que somos
Bresciano - l'imaginasi la ghé cunsula de chel che em pudom mja eser; l'umorismo de chel che en som
Breton - gant ar faltazi e vezomp frealzet evit ar pezh ne c'hallomp ket bezañ. Gant ar fent e vezomp frealzet evit ar pezh omp
Calabrese - l'immagginazziuni ni consola di 'cchiru ca nun putimu essi.Lu sensu dill'umurismu di 'cchiru ca sumu
Catalan - la imaginació ens aconsola del que no podem ser. L'humor ens aconsola del que som
Cornish - tybyans a'gan heutha awos an pyth nag on, gesow awos an pyth on-ny
Croatian - maata nas tjeai u onome ato ne mo~emo biti, humor pak u onome ato jesmo
Danish - fantasien giver os trøst for det vi ikke er, humoren for det vi er
Dutch - de verbeeldingskracht troost ons over hetgeen we niet zijn, het gevoel voor humor over datgene wat we zijn
English - imagination consoles us for what we are not, humour for what we are
Estonian - kujutlusvõime lohutab meid selles, mida meil pole. huumor selles pärast, mis meil on.
Finnish - mielikuvitus lohduttaa meitä sen suhteen mitä emme voi olla, huumorintaju sen suhteen mitä olemme.
Flemish - verbeelding biedt ons vertroosting voor wat wij niet zijn, humor voor wat wij zijn
French - l'imagination nous console de ce que nous ne pouvons pas être, l'humour de ce que nous sommes
Furlan - l'inmaginazion nus console di chel che no podin jessi. Il sens dal umorisim di chel che 'o sin
Galician - a imaxinacion consólanos polo que non somos, o humor consólanos polo que realmente somos
German - die Phantasie tröstet uns über das hinweg, was wir nicht sein können, der Humor über das, was wir sind
Hungarian - A képzelet azért kárpótol bennünket, amik nem vagyunk, a humor meg azért, amik vagyunk
Italian - l'immaginazione ci consola di ciò che non possiamo essere. Il senso dell'umorismo di ciò che siamo
Ladin - L'imaginazion nes consoleia per cie che i ne podon nia ester. L sens dl umorism de chel che i son.
Latin - inventio nos consolatur quod esse non possumus; facetiae quod sumus
Limburgian - faontezie hélp os te laaje wo ve nie zin, humor wo ve zin
Mapunzugun - amulrakizuamün ta ayiwelkeeyin mew ta yin pepi puwnon ta yin zugu mew, welu ayekan kay ta ayenweleyin mew ta chumlen ta inchiñ
Neapolitan - 'a mmaggenazzione ce cunzola 'e chello ca nun putimmo essere. 'O senzo 'e ll'umurismo 'e chello ca nuie simmo
Papiamentu - Imaginashon ta konsolanos di loke nos no ta. Humor di loke nos ta
Parmigiano - l'imaginazión la 's consola 'd col che 'n ne podemma miga eser. Al sens 'd l'umorisom 'd col che semma
Piemontese - l'inmaginassion a në consola ëd lòn ch'i soma nen, 'l humour ëd lòn ch'i soma
Polish - wyobraznia pociesza nas tym czym nie mo|emy by . Poczucie humoru tym czym jeste[my
Portuguese - A imaginação consola os homens daquilo que não podem ser, o humor consola-os daquilo que são
Romagnolo - ster s'la testa d'al nuvli l'è una cunsolazion ad quel ch'un sem ; se l' ris, a cunsulèm par nun d'la noster matìria carnela
Sicilian - 'a fantasia nni cunsola di chiddu ca non putemu essiri, 'u sensu dill'umorismo di chiddu ca semu
Spanish - la imaginación consuela a los hombres de lo que no pueden ser. El humor los consuela de lo que son
Swedish - fantasin ger oss tröst för det vi inte är, humorn för det vi är
Umbro-Sabino - r'immaginasione ce cunsola de ello que nun putimo esse. Ru siensu d'umorismu de ello que simo
Venetian - l'imaginaçion la ne confòrta de quel che no podemo èssar. El senso de l'umorismo, de quel che semo
Welsh - mae dychymyg yn ein cysuro am yr hyn nad ydym. Mae digrifwch yn ein cysuro am yr hyn ydym
Zeneize - l'imaginaçion a ne confòrta de quello che no poemo êse. O senso de l'umorismo de quello che semmo

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. ~ Helen Keller