Ufc

Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Just watched Cain/JDS. JDS didn't look himself at all... not to take anything away from Cain who was the same way in the first fight.

Cain reminded me of Tyson this time around. He has the same thick thighs, the same head movement and the same way of throwing bombs that start at the heel. His striking is way different than it was a year ago. I don't think it's on par with JDS's striking but he was more effective with it this time around even if it's not as elegant.

I would love to see a Cain vs Cormier fight. Right now those two seem to have the most potential to my eye.

I don't think cains striking was any different. This time around Cain stuck to a very smart game plan and applied pressure and pace Jds couldn't keep up with, can stuck to Jds like glue which took away jds's ability to throw a punch with any power.

Also Carwin haha?, Carwin would gas 30 seconds in against Cain.

I don't think cains striking was any different. This time around Cain stuck to a very smart game plan and applied pressure and pace Jds couldn't keep up with, can stuck to Jds like glue which took away jds's ability to throw a punch with any power.

Also Carwin haha?, Carwin would gas 30 seconds in against Cain.
It's real easy to analyze fights after the fact.
Cain won because he fought a different fight this time around. He attacked from the get go, hurt Junior early and was relentless in never giving him a chance to fully recover. He wisely mixed his swarming punches with take-downs and ground and pound and even though he gassed in the fourth round, Junior was gassed more and didn't have any zip left in his punch, unabling himself to end the fight. He did take a ferocious beating and it's no surprise that he was spent. The only surprise was that he was able to weather the storm for five rounds and remain standing, which shows that he has an excellent chin.
Next time around, things will be different and I'm sure he won't let Cain get off first. The way to beat Cain is to stay in his face and push him back, otherwise, forget it. I think JDS has a better chin than Cain but he needs to impose a better game plan to win.
As far as Carwin is concerned, yes he'll gass if the fight goes more than two rounds against Cain, but his thing is first round stoppage, so the point is moot. If Carwin connects with that short uppercut ( which Cain is definitely open for ) it's bye bye Cain. I'd love to bet that fight, if it happened in 2013, especially as Carwin will be a 4 or 5 to 1 dog.

It's real easy to analyze fights after the fact.
Cain won because he fought a different fight this time around. He attacked from the get go, hurt Junior early and was relentless in never giving him a chance to fully recover. He wisely mixed his swarming punches with take-downs and ground and pound and even though he gassed in the fourth round, Junior was gassed more and didn't have any zip left in his punch, unabling himself to end the fight. He did take a ferocious beating and it's no surprise that he was spent. The only surprise was that he was able to weather the storm for five rounds and remain standing, which shows that he has an excellent chin.
Next time around, things will be different and I'm sure he won't let Cain get off first. The way to beat Cain is to stay in his face and push him back, otherwise, forget it. I think JDS has a better chin than Cain but he needs to impose a better game plan to win.
As far as Carwin is concerned, yes he'll gass if the fight goes more than two rounds against Cain, but his thing is first round stoppage, so the point is moot. If Carwin connects with that short uppercut ( which Cain is definitely open for ) it's bye bye Cain. I'd love to bet that fight, if it happened in 2013, especially as Carwin will be a 4 or 5 to 1 dog.

Carwin is slow and hasn't got 2 rounds in him against Cain. Cain is by far the best heavyweight in Mma and a rematch with Dos Santos wouldn't be any different. Cain is a freak athlete to go at the pace he does as a heavyweight fighter, his takedowns play a big factor in tiring people out and against Jds he scored more takedowns and significant strikes in one fight than any other fighter, and that's with Jds grabbing the fence alot. Jds looked clueless on the floor considering his comments about he'll sub Cain.

I've got to agree about Cain. He certainly is one of a kind. Even though I predicted him to lose against Dos Santos (mostly due to ring rust), I did predict he'd win a rematch, but I didn't think he'd do so convincingly. I think you guys are right, the pace is what discouraged Cigano. It's got to intimidating being in there with a guy who can go at that pace for so long. Reem vs Velasquez would be an interesting fight, and I give Reem a better chance against Velasquez than he has against Cigano. Cigano's just a bad fight for Reem.

In other action, watch my boy CB Dollaway take this big win against Daniel Sarafian. Everybody's predicting this geezer is gonna knock CB out, but I think CB's wrestling and sub defense will be a big factor in how this fight goes.

EDIT- I admit, i've not seen much of this Safarian guy, just the one fight on TUF. He seems decent on the feet, which does worry me a bit. CB's defensive striking needs work, and he can't afford to get caught, otherwise this guy could finish it, if you go by his record. I think CB needs to wrestle him hardcore and sing in another slick sub late in the 3rd round or something, which could prove difficult since this guy is supposedly got some good jits. It's an intriguing fight on paper, hope it delivers and hope CB can take it.

I am..somehow. Seriously pumped for the card, a dream match, a potentially great grappling match, a LHW eliminator and a HW showdown that should be a showcase for The Reem.

Frankie vs Aldo should be nothing less than a barnstormer. Hoping and I suspect, if he doesn't get caught early, for Edgar to take it.

I love Edgar at +145. Last year was MMA jinx. Time to start right.
I lost a lot of money on Franklin-Cung Le and now they are talking about the guy possibly fighting Silva. Insanity!

Aldo is a piece of work, though. If Frankie doesn't beat him, NO ONE at 145 will. Max respect to Aldo, the bloke's a specimen, but Frankie's made a fan out of me for life with his performances and heart. Plus he's entrance theme is wicked.

Both of these guys are phenoms in their own right.
I think Edgar is faster than Aldo and has better footwork.
If Aldo can slow him down with leg kicks, that's Aldo's route to victory.
For Frankie to win, he has to remain elusive, come in and out and score a few take-downs.
I don't think his power is going to be an issue as his weight cut was very slight.
I don't think Aldo's faced anyone with Frankie's speed and timing and Frankie hasn't faced anyone with Aldo's overall striking ability.
I think Frankie's coming down in weight is a plus for him.
Even at light-weight no one's decisively beat him.
It's going to come down to who can impose his plan and will on the other guy. I see Aldo getting frustrated, if the fight goes to later rounds.
I am really looking forward to this. I like Aldo but I love Edgar.

I've got to agree about Cain. He certainly is one of a kind. Even though I predicted him to lose against Dos Santos (mostly due to ring rust), I did predict he'd win a rematch, but I didn't think he'd do so convincingly. I think you guys are right, the pace is what discouraged Cigano. It's got to intimidating being in there with a guy who can go at that pace for so long. Reem vs Velasquez would be an interesting fight, and I give Reem a better chance against Velasquez than he has against Cigano. Cigano's just a bad fight for Reem.

Cain is a beast and his cardio is off the charts but he doesn't have one punch KO power and ultimately that will be his undoing.
If Reem gets by Big Foot ( and he should ) look for Reem to squash Cain. In a Cain-Cigano next outing, I am still for Cigano. If he can blits Cain from the start, it will be bye bye Cain all over again.

I dunno about the one punch KO thing, it's alright having it and can obviously be very useful, but it really isn't everything. I think Cain hits hard enough. He's dropped some tough mofo's with strikes, i.e. JDS and Big Nog. He can hit hard when he wants to, but ultimately, he's more concerned about mixing it up and breaking an opponent down mentally. That's the thing, he mixed it up proper with JDS, which was instrumental to his win. JDS didn't know whether Cain was gonna clinch, shoot or strike with him, and Velasquez' pace allows him that comfort.

I think JDS has a chance in a rematch, too. But he can't match Cain's pace. JDS has to do the opposite of everything he did in that 2nd fight, and make Cain pay for every single takedown defence, even if it means hitting him on the back of the head. Having good takedown defence isn't enough because if all he does is defend, Cain WILL eventually get that takedown because he has the stamina to explode for 5 rounds. I think JDS should look at the Melvin Guillard vs Evan Dunham fight. A perfect example of sprawling and brawling. The only reason Guillard was able to beat Dunham was because he tried to kill him every time Dunham got hold of a leg or his waist. That's exactly what Cigano has to do if he wants to beat Cain.

I dunno about the one punch KO thing, it's alright having it and can obviously be very useful, but it really isn't everything. I think Cain hits hard enough. He's dropped some tough mofo's with strikes, i.e. JDS and Big Nog. He can hit hard when he wants to, but ultimately, he's more concerned about mixing it up and breaking an opponent down mentally. That's the thing, he mixed it up proper with JDS, which was instrumental to his win. JDS didn't know whether Cain was gonna clinch, shoot or strike with him, and Velasquez' pace allows him that comfort.

I think JDS has a chance in a rematch, too. But he can't match Cain's pace. JDS has to do the opposite of everything he did in that 2nd fight, and make Cain pay for every single takedown defence, even if it means hitting him on the back of the head. Having good takedown defence isn't enough because if all he does is defend, Cain WILL eventually get that takedown because he has the stamina to explode for 5 rounds. I think JDS should look at the Melvin Guillard vs Evan Dunham fight. A perfect example of sprawling and brawling. The only reason Guillard was able to beat Dunham was because he tried to kill him every time Dunham got hold of a leg or his waist. That's exactly what Cigano has to do if he wants to beat Cain.
Agreed!

Terrible results. Can't believe Evans lost to Lil Nog. Sad part is, he didn't have to lose. He could have actually fought like he usually does and beaten Lil Nog convincingly, instead he just stood there, disinterested and collecting a paycheck. Evans needs to sort himself out otherwise he'll find himself on Strikeforce or some ****. I'd rather he retired that put out pathetic performances like that.

Scored the main event for Frankie as well, but i'm not too fussed as it was a competitive and close fight. The Reem deserved to get knocked out for all the nonsense he was pulling in the cage. I'd say that's justice. What a joke.

Terrible results. Can't believe Evans lost to Lil Nog. Sad part is, he didn't have to lose. He could have actually fought like he usually does and beaten Lil Nog convincingly, instead he just stood there, disinterested and collecting a paycheck. Evans needs to sort himself out otherwise he'll find himself on Strikeforce or some ****. I'd rather he retired that put out pathetic performances like that.

Scored the main event for Frankie as well, but i'm not too fussed as it was a competitive and close fight. The Reem deserved to get knocked out for all the nonsense he was pulling in the cage. I'd say that's justice. What a joke.
I agree completely here. I scored the fight for Edgar, it was close but I had Edgar winning rounds 3,4,5.

Overeem was the biggest shock of the night for me. Ime a massive fan of the Reem but even I was happy silva pulled that knockout off. Clowning about in the heavyweight devision is just plain stupid, maybe that might bring him back down to earth.

I was really happy to see the judges didn't give it to Edgar. He does a great job of looking busy but not really doing much - let alone any damage. Aldo clearly was the more aggressive, did the most damage and controlled the fight. He deserved the W.

Outside of those devestating leg kicks in rounds 1 and 2, Aldo didn't really do that much. Frankie got robbed, again. He clearly out-worked Aldo in rounds 3,4 and 5.
Without his roids UberReem just showed he's another mortal and to think he got KO'd by the same guy that Cain savaged.
Makes one wonder how good is that Cain!
JDS should get a re-match, so that we can really see.
Apparantly Giant Silva isn't ready ( self-admittedly ).

Yeah, Frankie was working more in the later rounds, I thought. First couple of rounds, yeah, Aldo scored well and definitely took them, but he didn't have the same spring in his step later on whereas Edgar just got better and better. I think the 3rd round is the one of the most contention. It really could have gone either way as the first two rounds were Aldo whereas the last two rounds were Edgar, third in the middle was up for grabs for me. Still gave it to Edgar as he did a bit more.

Still, says a lot about Aldo's TDD to be able to stuff the majority of Frankie's like that. Amazing stuff. That kid is up there with the A.Silva's and GSP's imo.