How important is an accent?

Tools    

i think weird that if there is something that has romans or greeks (Troy for example) then they are played by british actors.
dotn get me wrong i am british and love who's there in hollywood but it still weird
You're allowed to do a normal accent if what you are saying is effectively in translation. It is really stupid- they did it in Little Ashes- to say translated Spanish in a Spanish accent, unless the character is Spanish but speaking English.

Even if an actor does a good accent, if they have a distinctive voice, it's hard to take them credibly.

I'm sure we've all watched films where an actor tried to pull off an accent and failed badly. See Robert Pattinson in Little Ashes if you haven't.

Failure to do a convincing accent can take you right out of the story and you end up becoming annoyed with the film. But what if they did it in their own accents? Could you overlook this detail or would this put you off?
A couple of examples that come to mind. There's Michael Fassbender in X-Men: First Class, where occasionally his own accent surfaces and it is very distracting. I think he should have had at least a hint of a German accent really, but maintaining one accent was a must. And that's a shame because he was so good otherwise.

Another is Noomi Rapace in Prometheus. I don't remember anything in the film about where Shaw was supposed to come from (her dad worked in Africa at least for a bit) but her name isn't Scandinavian and I don't really see why the character would have been. So by that logic her accent is very odd and I wanted an explanation for it.