Watch Movies You Should Have Already Seen

Tools    

There Will be Blood, while Magnolia and Citizen Kane might be good as well.

1. Rome Open City (Rosellini)
2. Equinox Flower (Yasujiro Ozu)
3. Amacord (Fellini)
4. The Devil Probably (Bresson)
5. Children of Paradise (Carne)
6. The Turin Horse (Bela Tar)
7. My Darling Clementine (John Ford)
8. The Master (P.A. Anderson)
9. Derzu Uzala (Akira Kurosawa)
10. Winter Light (Ingmar Bergman)

Great Idea!

Guaporense - The Master

1.Touch of Evil
2.The Departed
3. The Best Years of Our Lives
4.Nosferatu (any)
5.Bonnie and Clyde
6.Ran
7. Shane
8.Nashville
9.The Wild Bunch
10.The African Queen

Teeter- Blow Out or Rear Window. Badlands is great too.

Give me all of your candy!
Finally watched There Will be Blood. That was some intense build up to an amazing ending. I have heard many great things about it, and also have heard it was boring and bland from the other side of the spectrum. Honestly, upon first viewing, I would give it a solid 9/10. Plainview is one of the more menacing characters I have seen on screen. Thanks for the recommendation.

Let the night air cool you off
Finally watched There Will be Blood. That was some intense build up to an amazing ending. I have heard many great things about it, and also have heard it was boring and bland from the other side of the spectrum. Honestly, upon first viewing, I would give it a solid 9/10. Plainview is one of the more menacing characters I have seen on screen. Thanks for the recommendation.
Nice to see you liked There Will Be Blood, I didn't choose it for you, but it's one of my favorites. Are you going to keep playing?

Give me all of your candy!
Yes let me make another list.

Citizen Kane
Rear Window
Casablanca
Donnie Brasko
Raging Bull
The King of Comedy
The Master
True Grit (John Wayne)
Badlands
Apocalypse Now

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Just finished There Will Be Blood, I plan to start Blow Out after while to catch up on my last two.
There Will Be Blood was a good movie, just not my cup of tea. I probably won't watch it again. I did like how they made the danger of the oil field one of the main points of the movie. As a child of an oil field worker, for many years anyway (he recently left the oil field), I know how dangerous it can be and how worried we always were when Dad left for work. I just couldn't get into the story part of it. The relationship with his son was bound to be a disaster from the beginning, I suppose it was good of him to try but geez. Anyway,

Yes let me make another list.

Citizen Kane
Rear Window
Casablanca
Donnie Brasko
Raging Bull
The King of Comedy
The Master
True Grit (John Wayne)
Badlands
Apocalypse Now
Seeing as JayDee gave it a mixed review and I love it, I'll be interesting to see what you think of Apocalypse Now, one of my all time favourites.

Anyway might as well post my list of films I have ready to watch from the movie you're watching tonight thread, I'll through in a couple I have recorded as well, I'm watching The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada now so the next film will be after it:

Amour
Caché (Hidden)
Eyes Wide Shut
Lost in Translaion
Punch-Drunk Love
Silver Linings Playbook
Straw Dogs
(Original)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
The Turin Horse
Crimes and Misdemeanors
The King of Comedy

I've seen three from your list and out of those I'd recommend Lost In Translation.Nice warm film. ^^

Ok,I made a list of films which I want to see,though I have a strong feeling that I might be disappointed,so I often delay them.

The Elephant Man (1980) (I really disliked Eraserhead)
Mulholland Dr. (2001)
Superman (1978)
La battaglia di Algeri (1966)
Persona (1966) (didn't like Seventh Seal and wasn't particularly keen on Wild Strawberries)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) (not a fan of classics and I delay it because of the length)
Soy Cuba (1964)
The Fourth Protocol (1987)
Funeral in Berlin (1966)
Hotel Rwanda (2004)

I'd recommend Mulholland Dr. It is the only one I've seen from that list, and it's a masterpiece imo.

The Master
Stalker
Melancholia
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
Spirited Away
Vertigo
Moonrise Kingdom
Eraserhead

Vertigo! Although there are a lot of great movies on that list.

Random list of mine:

Barry Lyndon (1975)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Notorious (1946)
The Roaring Twenties (1939)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
The Two Jakes (1990)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Zodiac (2007)

Vertigo! Although there are a lot of great movies on that list.

Random list of mine:

Barry Lyndon (1975)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Notorious (1946)
The Roaring Twenties (1939)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
The Two Jakes (1990)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Zodiac (2007)
Give Zodiac a watch, I saw it very recently (like last week) and thought that is was great, really well crafted in terms of atmosphere and a great modern film, I think you'll like it. A lot of those films I want to see myself, like you I'm a massive Chinatown fan so eventually I'll watch The Two Jakes which is much less acclaimed (like a lot of differently) directed sequels but could be interesting.

I'll post my list again without Lost in Translation which is what I'm watching next, but then I'll watch whatever the next person picks next

Amour
Caché (Hidden)
Eyes Wide Shut
Punch-Drunk Love
Silver Linings Playbook
Straw Dogs
(Original)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
The Turin Horse
Crimes and Misdemeanors
The King of Comedy

Give Zodiac a watch, I saw it very recently (like last week) and thought that is was great, really well crafted in terms of atmosphere and a great modern film, I think you'll like it. A lot of those films I want to see myself, like you I'm a massive Chinatown fan so eventually I'll watch The Two Jakes which is much less acclaimed (like a lot of differently) directed sequels but could be interesting.
It's indeed less acclaimed, but a lot of Chinatown fans think it's still a worthy sequel and both Siskel and Ebert gave it a very positive review.
I'll watch Zodiac tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. It seems like a modern noir to me, so I'll probably like this one. Thanks for the fast reaction!

It's indeed less acclaimed, but a lot of Chinatown fans think it's still a worthy sequel and both Siskel and Ebert gave it a very positive review.
I'll watch Zodiac tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. It seems like a modern noir to me, so I'll probably like this one. Thanks for the fast reaction!
In terms of cinematography it is quite noirish especially some of the night scenes, if you like David Fincher's Se7en then you should like Zodiac, which in my opinion is the stronger film.

A review website I liked, featured it in their refocused reviews section which looks at films that may have initially been not so well received, overlooked etc. I haven't read the whole review in case of spoiling the film but take a look after you do here - http://www.deepfocusreview.com/reviews/twojakes.asp - it gives it a really good rating.

Watching The Two Jakes today requires some distance. If viewed straightaway after screening Polanski’s film, the vast differences between the respective directors’ stylistic approaches and period settings—not to mention a dramatically older-looking Nicholson—will prove distracting and incongruous. Put a week or month in-between the two films, and we’re allowed, if for just over two brief hours, to forget what a genius picture Polanski made, and instead concentrate on the polished, thoughtful noir Nicholson has made. To contrast these two films is unfair and meaningless; neurotically calling attention to the stylistic disparities between Polanski’s picture and Nicholson’s is what drove the sequel’s poor reception initially. Asking “What if Polanski had directed?” ignores what we were give, which is a smart, unexpectedly moving film that deepens the unwavering legacy of the original.