Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis

Tools    

We will see. The trailer took a while to tell me that jumping off from the Chrysler Building is not a good idea unless some mysterious force keeps you from falling. Having been up there myself, glass windows gave me the same protection. So....what IS it?

"An accident destroys a New York City-like metropolis already in decay. Cesar Catilina, an idealist with the power to control time, aims to rebuild the city as a sustainable utopia, while his opposition, corrupt Mayor Franklyn Cicero, remains committed to a regressive status quo. Coming between the opposing men and their visions is Franklyn's socialite daughter, Julia. Tired of the attention and power she was born with, Julia searches for her life's meaning."

"power to control time" - That's a big one.....gonna need some explaining in order to rationalize a complete violation of reality as we know it. I hope the script writers were up to the task.

Also, it ain't a New York-like metropolis, it's New York, that's the Chrysler Building. Lower Manhattan is in the background. I like movies with a big vision or grand concept, so I'll give it a chance and hope for the best.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I really like that the trailer feels absolutely nothing like modern movie trailers.
Yeah, the logo at the beginning is pretty old-school, and then...

I really hate how glossy/sterile/clean it looks. I have the same issue with the trailer for Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga. Good example that too much CGI is a bad thing.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ugly digital & ugly CGI. Meh. Reading how Copola went out of his way not to use CGI in the "traditional" way and then seeing the teaser trailer makes me think that modern filmmaking like this has no place in cinema. There's no other explanation. It's just bound not to work and not to look right.

We might be looking at Coppola's ultimate masterpiece here...

When Francis Ford Coppola arrived in Cannes in 1979 to premiere an unfinished version of “Apocalypse Now,” he had endured a gauntlet of bad press. His Vietnam saga’s budget kept ballooning, forcing Coppola to offer his car, his home, even the profits from “The Godfather” as collateral to cover overages. The production was biblically plagued — its original star Harvey Keitel was fired days into shooting, his replacement, Martin Sheen, suffered a near-fatal heart attack, a typhoon destroyed much of the set and a shoot intended to last six weeks stretched over 16 months. To the chattering classes, “Apocalypse Now” had all the makings of a cinematic catastrophe. It turned out to be quite the opposite.

In a press conference at Cannes, Coppola was blunt: “There were too many of us. We had access to too much money, too much equipment, and, little by little, we went insane.”

Forty-five years later, Coppola is returning to Cannes with his latest epic, “Megalopolis,” a $120 million examination of greed and idealism set in a futuristic America that premieres on Thursday. Like “Apocalypse Now,” the film has been beset by one bad headline after another. Coppola allegedly ran a chaotic set, smoking pot, leaving cast and crew members waiting and behaving in an “old-school manner” with female extras on set, according to a bombshell report in the Guardian (reps for Coppola did not respond to a request for comment on the piece). But even before that story broke, a screening that Coppola hosted for studio executives and fellow filmmakers in Los Angeles generated bad buzz. It left many viewers baffled — one described the movie to Variety as “batshit,” while others dismissed its critical and commercial prospects.

But will Cannes turn out to be a redemption tour for Coppola, who has been able to defy the skeptics in the past, or is “Megalopolis” going to be a late-career disaster for an artist who has also produced his share of costly duds along with his masterpieces?

If nothing else, the Guardian story has made the prospect of selling the film to a distributor even more challenging. “It’s a very difficult movie from a marketing perspective,” said one source who has seen the film and thinks it is very impressive. Other more adventurous industry players said there is a way to eventize this marketing conundrum and bill the film as undefinable. After the Los Angeles screening, one attendee said he thought the film was “actively ****ing with a risk-averse industry. This is Coppola tearing down the modern temple of Hollywood.”

Initially, Coppola was determined to sell the film himself and forgo working with a sales agent. And after recently firing CAA, he also has been working without a personal agent, sources say. But following the disappointing screening that drew most of the major studio heads, a group that typically doesn’t acquire big-budget movies, Coppola began working with international sales outfit Goodfellas. Ahead of the festival and on the ground in Cannes, Goodfellas has sold the film in multiple foreign territories, including France. Notably, these individual territories do not have rights to paid video-on-demand or streaming options for “Megalopolis,” perhaps by design to lure a big streaming service who could prop the movie up for global subscribers after a theatrical rollout.

While the Guardian story is an unwelcome headache for Coppola and Goodfellas, some buyers feel that it won’t impede its ability to ultimately find a U.S. distributor.

“In this case, my gut feeling is ‘no.’ I’m sure there was old-fashioned, out-of-step behavior, not to be condoned. However, in this context, the movie will stand — or fall — on its own merit,” said one buyer who is keeping an open mind heading into Thursday’s Cannes debut.

Sources say Coppola is looking for a distributor that will release “Megalopolis” in the fourth quarter of 2024, where it will mount an awards-season campaign. A24 or another awards-savvy distributor are seen as ideal fits. But some potential indie outfits have seen the film and don’t feel like there’s much upside — they don’t believe the movie has much Oscars potential beyond technical categories and they fear that Coppola will be an overly demanding partner. If the price for domestic rights drops, however, or Coppola, who put up his own money to make the film, is more interested in a domestic distributor for hire, then “Megalopolis” may become more attractive.

Another buyer also said the negative press following the screening for studio heads coupled with the Guardian piece may even help “Megalopolis” find a home.

“The way that it’s been set up is they had a bozo screening for all the people who really don’t buy movies. They wouldn’t know a Bertolucci movie if it hit them in the butt,” said that buyer. “Now that they’re here, it’s an underdog movie. And everyone is kind of pulling for it.”

Cannes, with its audience of cinephiles, may provide a warmer reception for “Megalopolis” than the one that greeted it at the earlier industry screening. However, Coppola faces another test on Friday at a Cannes press conference, where he will almost certainly be grilled about the Guardian story. How he responds could affect the film’s fate with U.S. distributors.

In the case of “Apocalypse Now,” Coppola ended up having the last laugh. Though some critics were initially dismissive, estimations of the film have only grown over the years and it is now considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made. But even in 1979, Cannes seemed to recognize Coppola’s film for the masterwork that it is — “Apocalypse Now” went on to share the Palme d’Or with “The Tin Drum.” Perhaps “Megalopolis” will have a similarly happy ending.

Even without a US distributor in place, IMAX has already committed to a global release for Megalopolis!!

At Cannes premiere

More photos from Cannes

Coppola + entire cast

Commenting on the negative press, Coppola said: "I really feel it's unpardonable to attack a movie because it doesn't play by Hollywood's current rules, by quoting unnamed sources who probably weren't at the screening and may not exist."

While this is true, I'm not gonna immediately assume it's a masterpiece. The Coppola fan in me's likely gonna love the visuals, but if it's as clunky as they say, I'll definitely be bothered by that.

I was afraid this would be super polarized. I just hope it's not considered the next Twixt. Some articles are considering that either this flops like hell, or this recreates the surprise Palme D'or win of Apocalypse Now. I'll even settle for the next Tetro as far as modern reception goes.

EDIT: On top of this, a movie can still have a hundred things going on and still succeed, ergo Magnolia which I'm watching right now. But it might end up being more like Inland Empire, which mostly appeals to fans of the director.

If it's even half as good as Twixt, sign me up!

This has never been more appropriate...

While this is true, I'm not gonna immediately assume it's a masterpiece.

Pretty sure no one is expecting you to assume this.

The Coppola fan in me's likely gonna love the visuals, but if it's as clunky as they say, I'll definitely be bothered by that.

If you think it's clunky once you see it, then call it out. Until then, who gives a shit what these nobodies think.

I was afraid this would be super polarized.

There is nothing better than a movie that is super polarizing. It means I have a good chance of hating or loving it. My two favorite things.

But it might end up being more like Inland Empire, which mostly appeals to fans of the director.

That's a bad thing?

Pretty sure no one is expecting you to assume this.

If you think it's clunky once you see it, then call it out. Until then, who gives a shit what these nobodies think.

There is nothing better than a movie that is super polarizing. It means I have a good chance of hating or loving it. My two favorite things.

That's a bad thing?

And I don't care what people expect me to do. And no, I didn't say it would be a bad thing for it to end up like Inland Empire, all I did was take a shot at a prediction.

Here's a thought to everyone out there who's already going "I'm probably not going to like it" or something like that: GOOD. Coppola made exactly the kind of movie he was itching to make, without any regard to commercial considerations or probably even what critics would make of it, much less the general public.

This is what art is supposed to be about: an artist being true to their innermost voice, not caring at all whether it makes money or not, not caring if everyone loves them for it, just NOT CARING about anything but being true to their vision.

Most filmmakers will NEVER reach the point in their lives when they get to spend $120 million of their own money to make their passion project with a top-notch cast. They will never get to know that intense joy that comes from fulfilling your dream, regardless of what the world has to say about it.

So, already, Megalopolis could well be the most important artistic statement of the year, maybe even of the century, and we should all be grateful it got made at all, regardless of what our personal reactions might be once it is finally available to the general public, a few months from now.

You may not like it. You may not even want to watch it. But it will still be an artistic statement of the truest nature, no matter how you feel about it personally. And you will almost certainly never know what it feels like to blow $120 million to make your career-capping artistic statement.

I have high hopes for this, but that last trailer gave me Babylon vibes (which isn't a great thing for me)...

Babylon was another go-for-broke dazzling display of artistic determination, so that would be a great thing

U.S. rights remain undecided, but the rights to the movie have been sold in many other countries!

Francis Ford Coppola‘s $120 million passion project Megalopolis has closed a fresh raft of deals following its buzzy world premiere in Competition at the Cannes Film Festival last week.

It has sold to Australia (Madman Entertainment), Benelux (September Films), Bulgaria (Profilm), Czech Republic and Slovakia (Film Europe), Ex- Yugoslavia (MCF Megacom Film), Greece (Feelgood Entertainment), Hungary (Mozinet), Israel (Lev Cinemas), Morocco (Facility Event), Portugal (Midas Filmes) Romania (Independenta Film), Scandinavia (Njutafilms) and Turkey (Bir Film).

They join five top distributors who acquired the film prior to its world premiere on May 16: Constantin Film for Germany and all German-speaking territories, including Switzerland and Austria; Eagle Pictures for Italy; Tripictures for Spain; Entertainment Film Distributors Limited for the U.K., and Le Pacte for France.

Coppola’s long-time lawyer Barry Hirsch and Vincent Maraval, president of Goodfellas (ex-Wild Bunch International), brokered the new Megalopolis deals. They are also in advanced negotiations for distribution in Japan, China, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Poland, Latin America and the Middle East.

There is no word yet on a U.S. deal.

Written, produced, and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, Megalopolis stars Adam Driver, Giancarlo Esposito, Nathalie Emmanuel, Aubrey Plaza, Shia LaBeouf, Jon Voight, Laurence Fishburne, Talia Shire, Jason Schwartzman, Kathryn Hunter, Grace VanderWaal, Chloe Fineman, James Remar, D.B. Sweeney, and Dustin Hoffman.

The feature film is produced by late producer Fred Roos and Barry Hirsch

Megalopolis is billed as a Roman epic fable set in an imagined Modern America.

As per the official logline: “The City of New Rome must change, causing conflict between Cesar Catilina (Driver), a genius artist who seeks to leap into a utopian, idealistic future, and his opposition, Mayor Franklyn Cicero (Esposito), who remains committed to a regressive status quo, perpetuating greed, special interests, and partisan warfare. Torn between them is socialite Julia Cicero (Emmanuel), the mayor’s daughter, whose love for Cesar has divided her loyalties, forcing her to discover what she truly believes humanity deserves.”