Is Hollywood Jewish?

Tools    

Originally posted by Herod
I'm a believer in that there is some truth behind almost every stereotype.
But regardless of that, that particular topic is some incredibly dangerous ground.
but that's the whole point...WHY do you call it incredibly dangerous ground?? we've seen movies on sterotypes of ALL other cultures, except jewish...the only thing we ever see come out of hollywood about the jewish is how pesecuted they were during WWII...you would never see a WWII movie come out of hollywood from the nazi's point of view, would you, because hollywood is predominantly run by jews, and that just would NEVER happen...its common knowledge that it would be unnaceptable - and i disagree with that.

Originally posted by Yoda
It's pretty hard to make fun of a group of highly intelligent, successful, philanthropic people whose race has been put through a number of horrible struggles. There just ain't a whole lot of comedy there.
every race of people on the planet have been put through horrible struggles throughout history...and every race of people on the planet have members who are highly intelligent, successful and philanthropic....but because of the background of hollywood we only ever see the jewish portrayed in a "oh poor persecuted jews" kind of way

can somebody PLEASE cite a hollywood movie portraying the persecution of the Christians throughout history....or the persecution of the many european countries the germans pillaged during WWI and WWII...or the 20million russians who died during WWII

WWII was NOT about jews - hollywood would have us believe otherwise.....and i think that's shame because in this day and age, western culture sees a big production hollywood movie and (most of its ignorant people) accept it as being historical fact - movies are for entertainment purposes only and i see too many young people these days thinking they "know" something because they saw it in a movie or on television

remember, there are always 3 sides to every story....my side, your side and the truth

Enemy At The Gates took a very good look at Stalingrad. Quite an enjoyable film, too. Saving Private Ryan was about the Normandy Invasion. The Bridge On The River Kwai was about a Japanese POW camp, so was Paradise Road Glenn Close et al. Pearl Harbour [while crap as crapped on crap] was about, uh, Pearl Harbour. Tora! Tora! Tora!, Patton, Casablanca [in a weird sorta way]. None of these had anything to do with the holocaust.

Get off my island
It's totally true! I have never seen or heard of a film where the Nazis are not seen in any way other filthy murderous pigs. I think they should get their say, I'm sure there was at least one good Nazi

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

Get off my island
Ah, but he wasn't really a NAzi was he? He was more a German businessman

Originally posted by n7of9
every race of people on the planet have been put through horrible struggles throughout history...and every race of people on the planet have members who are highly intelligent, successful and philanthropic....but because of the background of hollywood we only ever see the jewish portrayed in a "oh poor persecuted jews" kind of way
But they WERE poor and persecuted. The thing is that theirs were very recent. Some who lived through it are still alive. And yes, every cultural group has generous, intelligent, successful members...but Jewish people boast far more than their "share." I can't look at that as anything other than deserving of recognition and praise.

Anyway, the Jews have had their fair share of stereotypical poke-in-the-ribs in the movies and on TV. The Nanny made light of the faith every week for nearly six years! Seinfeld did it ["And this offends you as a Jewish person?" / "It offends me as a comedian!"]! Snatch does it ["He wishes he was Jewish. He even tells his family they're Jewish."]! Keeping The Faith, to an extent. Kissing Jessica Stein plays off the stereotypes. Weird Al and Pretty Fly For A Rabbi. The Simpsons ["Look it's ZZ Top!"].

Sure, we don't just sit around making Jews jokes, but it isn't as like the Jewish people don't have anyone taking the piss every now and then. It isn't like the Catholics are always getting it either, you know. I'm pretty sure that in terms of religious jokes, the Jews and most other religions are all pretty neck and neck.

My life isn't written very well.
The point is: you never see a modern American Jewish person portrayed as a villian. You do however see African Americans, Asians, Latinos, Irish people, Italians, Catholics, Christians, Gays portrayed fitting to their stereotype in evil ways.
Here are some examples:

The African American gang-banger who lives in poverty. The Asian Mafia leader skilled in martial arts who kills people. The Italian mob boss who settles debts by blowing people away.

But if I were to say "The greedy Jewish American business owner who uses his intellegence and wealth to take advantage of people." Some of you would say r66 you're a racist! But I'm not! I'm just saying that every other ethnic stereotype has been put on the screen, exploiting their percieved evilness, why not Jewish Americans? Is there not ONE evil Jew in America?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

As a Jew, I find this discussion highly complimenting

A novel adaptation.
This is getting ridiculous.
R3porter, first of all most of the things you've listed are races and ethnicities. These things are fairly apparent when you bring someone up on screen, for instance: If Denzel Washington comes out in a movie and shoots a homeless person, you automatically understand "Black man, shot homeless person".
Notice the lack of inferences about religion or sexual preference?
These things are background details, so unless you'd rather see minorities only allowed to play good role models, I'd suggest you get the hell over it.

Moving on;
Homosexuals are exploiuted because modern America has made it such an issue. Some homosexuals are to blame for this as well, by making it an issue in everyday life.

And finally;
The religions you've listed as being exploited are tottally groundless claims. Name some movies with a specifically Christian villian, and I'll give you at least one with a Jewish villain for each.
As for Catholicism, there are reasons for that: Most Italians are Catholic, most Irish are Catholic, most Latinos are Catholic. These are people who come up in movies as villains sometimes. And for Catholics their religion seems to come up a good deal in daily life (Example: Godfather) , whereas I have friends I've known for years turn to me and say "You're Jewish?" We are, in general, a pretty indiscreet people.

And as for N7of9's comments, I'd like to take those on one at a time, just give me a while to get around to it.

My life isn't written very well.
You're Jewish?! You're one of the many members I respect on these boards, so sorry Herod if I've offended you. Really.

It's just that I read a story about the influence of Jewish people in Hollywood and honestly I have never seen a movie with a modern Jewish American villian, or a serious movie with a Jewish American character playing the antagonist based on their stereotype. Please name some. I have seen movies with every other modern American ethnic stereotype portrayed as a villian; dark and light skinned. I just wondered who controlled that, that's all. Really, it's not like it matters anyway. I was just wondering...

Get off my island
Originally posted by r3port3r66
The point is: you never see a modern American Jewish person portrayed as a villian. You do however see African Americans, Asians, Latinos, Irish people, Italians, Catholics, Christians, Gays portrayed fitting to their stereotype in evil ways.
Here are some examples:

The African American gang-banger who lives in poverty. The Asian Mafia leader skilled in martial arts who kills people. The Italian mob boss who settles debts by blowing people away.

But if I were to say "The greedy Jewish American business owner who uses his intellegence and wealth to take advantage of people." Some of you would say r66 you're a racist! But I'm not! I'm just saying that every other ethnic stereotype has been put on the screen, exploiting their percieved evilness, why not Jewish Americans? Is there not ONE evil Jew in America?
You are absolutely right

Wow r66, I can't believe you said that. Didn't you know that's taboo? Unfortunately, I do agree with you.
I never felt that way until this past year, when, it seems, all of a sudden, everyone on TV, in the movies or on stage, looks and acts Jewish! I don't mind that they do not portray themselves poorly for all the world to see (ok, I am a little peeved because it is beginning to seem a bit onesided.) What seems strange though, is I find myself feeling left out! I want to be Jewish! How come I don't have that great nose, the chin, the curly hair? (alright, so I do have a drop of Jewish blood, but that was so 1882! And no, I am not a Xain - more of a spiritualist.)
It's weird, I feel as though I am watching a history lesson - over and over and over again. G-d, I'm finding it difficult to express myself here while trying to keep it short. First off, as far as why Jews are so darned talented and educated, I think that goes way back to the culture. I read somewhere (Jewish Literacy by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin) that one reason why they strive for higher education (especially medicine, law, etc) is because those career paths tradtionally pay fairly well. Poverty breeds resentment and crime. Therefore, if one has a good education, he can then avoid a life of crime because he will be able to provide for himself easier. Being poor invites desperation which, in turn, can lead to crime. I probably explained that wrong, but I gave it a stab. Truthfully, I don't know many Jewish criminals. (other than my first husband who used to beat the crap out of me <resisiting the temptation to post his name>) Most of the Jews I know are educated, accepting, (we're members of the JCC and we have German last name!) and are pretty darn funny.
But back on topic - there are a ton of Jews in the media right now. I'm not really sure why that is. I don't believe that they are trying to "control" or "brainwash" us, but it does make me feel that perhaps I am not good enough to be part of the gang.
For example, yesterday I attended a screening of the soon to be released Disney Feature "Holes." Every single bad guy was obviously a WASP.
All the heros of the story were all very Jewish and Jewish looking. (with the exception of "Zero" who was supposed to be black, but clearly had a bit of Jewish blood in him.)
I have to tell you, I felt, quite frankly, well, embarrassed! I'm a mutt of ethnic background, English, Irish, Norwegian, Spanish, German and my kids have a little Polish and French Canadian thrown in there for good measure. But, even though I had Jewish relatives (reform from Baden, Germany who came over to the USA in 1882 and promptly dropped their religious ways -- which weren't many during that era as reform was trying to conform to xain ways to make life a little more convenient for everybody. But that's another topic) Hey, I'm not a history professor, so if I have my facts wrong, please forgive me and correct me. <grin>
Again, sorry to stray off topic. In conclusion, (ha ha ha) I agree with you r3port3r66.

oops, it's Depression is madness without the enthusiasm. How do I change my sig?

Originally posted by Betty
...And no, I am not a Xain - more of a spiritualist...

...Every single bad guy was obviously a WASP...
what's a Xain?? and what's a WASP????

hi betty and welcome...you should go introduced youself here and tell us about your movie loves