The Videogames Tab

Tools    

My teammate and I are in the finals for a little Spy Party tournament that's going on. Our opponent is streaming the other side (on a slight delay, of course) in about half an hour, if anyone's curious:

http://www.twitch.tv/slappydavis

I'm "warningtrack"--I'll be playing the six games as Sniper (with the streamer as Spy). The other six will be my teammate.

Well, we lost. But it was a wild ride.

The emotional high point was the semis, where we beat a ridiculously good team (they're 1st and 3rd on the all time games played list) on a triple tiebreaker. I guess this was a bit of a comedown.

The first two losses at the end were rough, because they were both really last-second, by-the-skin-of-your-teeth stuff. And because I'd done some prep work and was expecting exactly that sort of play, and still couldn't quite nail it down. But we were just hoping to perform respectably and we did a lot more than that, so we're both really pleased.

Incidentally, we chose our team name by combining our usernames: warningtrack and jecat. Behold: WarningCat.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh geez, that's YOU? When I started seeing the stream notifications for a person called WarningCat, I wondered why it was so similar to WarningTrack. I should have asked!

Glad you did well. I wish I could find the brain space to get back into it sooner rather than later. Am on a self-imposed deadline and I found in my brief time in SpyParty that you really do need to pay attention and focus. It's a fascinating but draining couple of minutes!

Plus, you know, the getting shot part....

Congrats! Somehow this game seems tailor-made for someone as focused and intense as you.

The People's Republic of Clogher
GOG are having a Sierra/Activision sale right now. I picked up some real gems - The three Gabriel Knight games, the two Phantasmagorias and Caesar III. I'm in a point-and-click kinda mood.

Well, I got my SpyParty Beta invite ... but you've got to pay $15 to play.

After the last Slender game I'm not exactly down with this way of doing business. Hmmm.

Anyway:

&feature=youtu.be

Best trailer EVAH!

there's a frog in my snake oil
"With the new [Kinect], I had the demo earlier, and it seems like it's tracking an awful lot. While I'm playing a game, you're tracking my heart rate, my attention. Am I looking at the screen? Am I distracted? Am I smiling?" - Interview with Microsoft Rep

Let me be the first to say:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Are you ****ing kidding me right now????

Track my heart rate and facial expressions....

Today Eurasia...Tomorrow...East Asia....

Yeah, so that pretty much does it for me and the next gen stuff. No way will I ever let one of those pieces of garbage in my home. No way.
But how will you get the advert achievement?

The Last of Us seems to be getting good reviews - First 10/10 I've seen on Eurogamer for a while.

Anyone tempted? I'm not really, but it could turn out to be this gen's last hurrah.

Spy Party beta is open! http://www.spyparty.com/beta. Anyone can sign up now.

As Dave says, it's $15, though I should add that this gets you a full copy of the game when it's released, too, and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it even as-is.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take the plunge, I think it's pretty fantastic, and I'd be glad to help/tutor/whatever.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
The Last of Us seems to be getting good reviews - First 10/10 I've seen on Eurogamer for a while.

Anyone tempted? I'm not really, but it could turn out to be this gen's last hurrah.

It's been getting 9s and 10s across the board. I know I want to get it, as I've been following it since it was revealed last year at E3. Looks to be, according to the critics, both Naughty Dog's and the PS3's magnum opus.

I'm tempted.

It's either gonna be that or some new Teflon feet for my G500 - There must be some roughness on my desktop surface because the underside of my mouse looks like a Leopard has attacked it.

Arrgh, I didn't really "get" what was going on at first...

WARNING: "Republia Times" spoilers below
Took me a while to realize the red letters weren't a game glitch. I tried to have fun and "catch up" but didn't pull it out in time. Still not sure which way I was supposed to go, but let's just say it didn't end well.

Hilarious, though, especially for a writer!

WARNING: "The Republia Times" spoilers below
Okay, Yoda... I got to the "second part" as Democria Times... just a quick question. How long does this go on? Is there a definite ending to the game? (It's fun, though. Just curious. I'm trying to get real work done and keep sneaking back to the game. LOL)

A system of cells interlinked
Wow, I really enjoyed Republia Times!

Okay, Yoda... I got to the "second part" as Democria Times... just a quick question. How long does this go on? Is there a definite ending to the game? (It's fun, though. Just curious. I'm trying to get real work done and keep sneaking back to the game. LOL)
No idea. I'm gonna guess indefinitely. Either way, by then the point is made.

I completely missed the point of the red text at first. I think my first playthrough I wasted a day not realizing what was happening. But I got it the second time. Poignant stuff.

Love the style, too; looks exactly like those old Mac operating systems.

WARNING: "Republia Times" spoilers below
Yes, definitely reminders of the old Apple systems back in the '80s.

I got the red text about halfway through the first time -- maybe about Day Six or so. I figured, What the heck? ... and tried to start placing negative articles. But I didn't have enough time at that point and lost.

SO the second time through, as soon as the red text asked me to, I jumped on board and "won" that way... but of course, well, ha ha.

It wasn't until I was at about Day Four of Democria Times that I really "got" the game. And that's when I asked you how long it goes on. Seems yes, it's indefinite, or until you decide it's just a crazy commentary on the meaninglessness of most politics. (Most.)

I've already gotten another friend hooked on it and neither of us got much work done for about an hour. LOL

Yeah, definitely. But those ones are more fleshed out, I think. Papers, Please, in particular, is really exceptional, which is probably why that's the one he's expanding into a full game (for release this summer). Definitely download the beta if you get a chance.