The Videogames Tab

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Anyone else seen this documentary? I watched it over the weekend and loved it. Fantastic look at some of the best Indie games being made by (fairly) normal but completely overworked everyday people. I kinda got some dirt in my eye a little.

Trailer:

Yep yep. Saw it when it made its way to Netflix Instant. Good stuff. Really good depiction of how crazy this stuff can be. It reminded me a lot of launching a website, the way you can plan and plan and change as you go and how the longer it takes the better it has to be to justify the time, which means it takes more time, and on and on. And on top of all that, with the games they basically find out if they're a hit (with some exceptions, but generally) within, like, a single day, after years of work. Crazy.

Also goes to show how much technology has opened the industry up, too. Great movie.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's on my Netflix Instant queue too but I've not gotten round to it yet, probably because I'm not a massive fan of Jonathan Blow.

To be fair, he's not got a good word to say about me either.

Anyone tried the new Skyrim Legendary perk reset thing yet? I think it's complete hogwash.

You level something to 100 then have to forget everything in order to get to 100 again? I'd maxed out One-Handed (been single too long, I guess ) so gave Legendary a spin, quicksaving before I did so. It worked much as I thought - You do next to no damage but by that stage of the game you've got powerful weapons so you're levelling the skill every 4 or 5 hits.

Weird. And crap.

The latter, which leads to the former.

I liked the time travel mechanic in Braid but that was it. Bastion (in a Humble Bundle for as little as $1 right now) is far better as far as quote/unquote Indie games go (it's published by Warner Bros) in my opinion.

Just started watching Indie Game and need to get this off my chest -

I take it all back about Jonathan Blow. Compared to Phil Fish he's one of the nicest, most down to earth guys I've seen...

Mr 'this is a console game, deal with it' Fish was in the news a few days back when he said Fez would now be released on PC. Make of that what you will.

In the Beginning...
They do address Jonathan Blow's tendency to confront/argue with people online about the game, which brought down a lot of ridicule on him. It's pretty sad, actually, since it was such a personal game and seemingly very few people "got" it.

Also, I think you'll also look at Phil Fish in a slightly different way by the end. He's still a self-absorbed wacko, but he's a brilliant and very real person. And Fez is nothing short of fantastic.

Ah. Well, I'm super enamored with most of Braid, myself. I am tempted to roll my eyes at some of the things he says, but people who introduce new ideas to stagnant industries are inevitably going to be a little out there the rest of the time, I think. I'm particularly impressed with his notion that that the best games have their narrative emerged from (or be complimented by) the gameplay mechanics. I'm not sure how plausible that always is, but it's an intriguing idea. And I think he's spot-on when he talks about the way interactivity naturally contradicts traditional narratives.

If nothing else, I'm glad that there are guys like that pushing back hard against the games-as-movie-pastiches thing we've been seeing a lot of for the last decade. That was fun for awhile, but the medium has to mature to the point where it's doing things that only it can do.

Fish was a little crazy, yeah? So nervous and twitchy. The Woody Allen of gaming. But I felt more pity than anything for him, because he seems genuinely scared and genuinely torn up about some of the hurdles in front of him. It's a tough gig, cool as it may seem from afar.

It was a shade unnerving, though, when my old man saw the movie and said Fish reminded him of me. I'm pretty sure I don't look like that to most other people, but yikes.

Yeah, Fish becomes a lot more human as the movie progresses but I doubt if I could spend 10 minutes in his company without risking arrest. Fez, though, looks very interesting.

I loved the Super Meat Boy guys. There's no front there, just passion.

Blow's new game looks pretty special, I'll say that.

Yeah, I'm super excited. I'm a tiny bit worried about the puzzles, though. He keeps giving updated puzzle counts, and it's around 500. That sounds great, except I think he's counting those little pathing panels spread out across the world, most of which don't really feel like "puzzles" to me. I'm becoming a little worried that a large chunk of the game will just be those things, and that some kind of emergent meaning will come out of them. And obviously hoping for a lot more than that, puzzle-wise.

I'm just wallowing in that beautiful world he's created. The new Myst?

It's games like this which will probably tip me over the edge into buying a PS4 at some point (I think The Witness is going to be a Sony exclusive) although I think That Game Company's deal with Sony has expired and they're free to develop for other platforms. I can see them sticking with Sony too though, especially if the frightening reports about the Nextbox turn out to be true - Always online, discs only used to install a game to the HD.

The PS4 is actually looking like a decent bit of kit, but we've not learned the prices yet. When PS3 was launched it cost nearly Ł500 over here - I got exactly the same model in Hong Kong for Ł250.

A lot of people were freaked by the PS4 demo, assuming it would be an exclusive, but they assured everyone that it would be on PC too. That's the platform it's been primarily developed for. Thank goodness.

Ah, that's cool then. I keep my knowledge of the utterances of Mr Blow to a minimum so I'd missed that.

I hate saying 'Indie game' (because it conjures up images of the hipster Wolverine threatening suicide if Fez isn't perfect) but one thing I read about the new Xbox was that they're doing away with the XNA dev tools that enabled so many small publishers to get their games to a wider audience.

If it's true that'll be pretty sad. There's metric sh*t-tons of crap on there but a few total gems.

Who is excited for the ps4

Resigned more than excited.

Okami HD to PS+ in April. I'll say that again and add a couple of words: Okami HD for free to PS+ in April.

I did a strange thing today - I bought Euro Truck Simulator 2...

It's actually really relaxing... until you miss your motorway exit, think you're in GTA and do a U-turn. A weird game but really well made by a tiny studio - It counts as an Indie game (although I'd say that the only person in trendy specs to have bought it is me) and thus is in their Spring sale.

If you've not picked up Braid, Super Meat Boy, World of Goo, Audiosurf or even Euro Truck Simulator 2, head down to Steam.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I don't get to game too much at the mo, but I do get to make playlists

*EDIT* Bah, imbed fail. Here is full playlist

&list=PLStWaG_hnaovFuOldLSJjE7xQmLRLVGAN

Bioshock Infinite's out in a few hours and I'll probably buy it today. If I buy it now it counts as a pre-order and I get 2 free games...

The only problem is that the free games are Bioshock (already own) and XCOM (already own). Someone might be able to convince me to gift them one or other of the Steam codes - Lemme know if you want them, and I don't want money: The game's gonna cost me the same amount either way.

Only seen one review so far - Great game, daft plot.

A system of cells interlinked
Since LT and I are playing FC3 together, I can't really fire it up whenever I want, so I needed something big and open to play on my solo hours. Of course, I wanted to put my money where my mouth was, and play Skyrim on the PC, so as to try it without the silly X-box menu issues.

This time, I got out of the first area, quickly blasted through the Golden Claw stuff, made a contact and Whiterun, then jumped on the wagon and headed straight for Riften. Made connections with Brynjolf and decided to try building a Nightblade this time round. Logged out last night at Windhlem, as I finished the Riften progression up until the point where they send you to Solitude, then trudged north to speak to Dark Brotherhood guy. I will do the DB stuff later tonight, I hope!

Graphics look amazing on PC, btw....

SkyUI is good, but not great, as it does little to address to stop/start feel of the game play with all the spell switching etc.

In the Beginning...

Well, I finished Assassin's Creed III.

Although the series will obviously continue, this game effectively ends the main story arc that began with the first Assassin's Creed way back in 2007 and continued over the next four games, with present-day protagonist Desmond Miles accessing the virtual memories of three long-dead ancestors in order to continue the assassins' fight against the Knights Templar.

I'd love to say that ACIII is a great game and a satisfying end to Desmond's story... but it really isn't. Despite moments of brilliance (including a series of missions featuring a truly fantastic new gameplay feature: ship combat), the game is largely an exercise in frustration and, well, glitches. There are several QTE, platforming, and chase sequences that are some of the most poorly designed to date; I actually found myself wondering if any beta testing was even done. And I know the developers wanted to increase combat difficulty by divorcing attack and counter from each other, but it's amazing how that one simple change makes fighting feel much more contrived and unnecessarily tedious.

Gameplay issues aside, I just wasn't very impressed with Connor as a protagonist. I realize they wanted to give us the reigns of a character with a chip on his shoulder, someone itching for revenge, but Connor comes off as angry, unbending, and unreasonable. He doesn't seem to go through any major emotional change or reach many new realizations; he's a blunt instrument that rages forward to a very predictable end. By contrast, the chief antagonist, Haytham Kenway (Connor's father), is far more personable and interesting because you buy his conviction. Starting the game in his shoes is a fantastic and surprising experience.

Desmond's story isn't much better. Since you spend so much time portraying Connor in the Animus, the moments in which you come out and control Desmond feel episodic and rushed. There are literally missions where you jet to Brazil or Italy, do your thing, and return as if it was just a trip to the gas station. But forget all that. How is the much-hyped finale? These games have long moved beyond convolution, so that's to be expected. This installment does leave the series (and the world) in a somewhat intriguing place, but I'm still confused on how we got here. There's a lot of telling, very little showing.

Finally, I have nothing bad to really say about the rendered frontier landscape, which is organic and phenomenally detailed, as are the two primary colonial cities: New York and Boston. It's the most expansive map to date, yet I was a bit nostalgic (and not in a good way) because it felt a little like the first game: an extremely detailed sandbox with nothing much to do. There are some board games and modest fetch missions to keep you busy, in addition to the obligatory scavenger hunts that have you tracking down feathers, treasure, and missing pages for bonuses. But there are countless buildings and people everywhere you turn, and no meaningful way to really interact with them.

That said, the inclusion of the Homestead and Captain Kidd side missions kept things from feeling too empty. And the hunting dynamic, though it was pretty laughable most of the time (there were clear respawn points, so I often found myself with an endless supply of elk and wolves to harvest), at least kept my pockets lined, as the trade caravan economy was pretty broken.

Obviously, every Assassin's Creed game has frustrating issues. But ACIII is the first installment, I believe, where scope couldn't really meet execution. It's still a perfectly playable game... it's just not a very satisfying one. The Aquila missions are absolutely worthwhile (and I'm salivating over ACIV: open-world pirating!), but unless you're just hungry to complete Desmond's story or explore Revolutionary War-era America, I can't really recommend it.