The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher

Oh and PS Tatty yeah I looked at the Mac GOG stuff, but only Fallout was tempting me. Altho I'm kinda hankering for something squad based.
Just buy it. I'll hit you up with some links for widescreen patches etc (they're in the GOG Fallout messageboard bit anyway) but I dunno if they'll work on Macs.

Of course, you know what'll happen next? You'll be so entranced that you'll have to buy Fallout 3 and New Vegas and not be seen until 2016.

A system of cells interlinked
Fallout 3 is a MUST play!

Been looking for a solution to the controller problem on Dark Souls PC, because I'm like a dog with a bone when stuff's frustrating me.

Found some people having success with a controller emulator called x360ce, which seems a pretty nifty little tool. It'll automatically download profiles for a game exe it recognises.

Didn't work for me.

I suspect that the only way to get this to run is to physically remove my G510 keyboard and G500 mouse and uninstall the Logitech software and drivers and, I'm sorry, that ain't happening.

Poxy stupid shoddy bloody port. The most frustrating thing is that it worked fine with my old Sidewinder keyboard...

Frustrating!

Did you message me yesterday while I was playing DS? I heard the chime, and meant to go check my messages, but was right in the middle of a boss fight (STILL Quelaag). I FINALLY got her down, and then collapsed and shut the game off for dinner, as the GF was getting a bit restless with you know, all the yelling and cursing I was doing.

I recalled the message tone at about midnight as I drifted off to sleep!

Now I need to figure out how to get back to Firelink Shrine...I think....Hmmm, I actually have no idea where I am supposed to go next!

Nope, not me. Apologies to anyone on my friends list these last few days though - Trying to get the PC Dark Souls (it's a GFWL title) working meant I was signing into my account every few minutes.

I've uninstalled it from my PC now (I know when I'm beaten ) so will pick things up on Xbox. Got as far as boss 2 (forget his name, the one at the end of the suspiciously quiet walkway) yesterday and was whimpering like a little girl at the end.

Taurus Demon...

I spent some time with him when I first started, as well. He put a smack on me quite a few times. He was the boss that whipped me into shape as far as patience and observation is concerned.

You know, this work business I have to do each day is REALLY cutting into my gaming time!

That's the guy!

The game is really bringing back memories of the days before you could save anywhere in games. Thankfully DS has scattered save points - Demon's Souls had you going right back to the beginning of the level once you died and that became a massive drag way too quickly and led you to exploring levels far too high for your current character just to get a little variety.

I LOVE this game system. Brutal, unforgiving...It's Sedai's realistic mode!

No more forcing myself to not save etc. just to amp difficulty! This game delivers the punishment in spades. How far have you been into the game? Far enough to see the brilliant way all these zones fit together?

I've barely scratched the surface, to be honest, just that second boss. Got much further with the first game then Skyrim arrived soon after I bought the second.

Skyrim's taking a back seat until the new expansion is released (I'm betting at Christmas) but I've got a backlog of games to play now but not as many as before. Sleeping Dogs is nearly finished (still my GOTY), Dark Souls is now playable.

I'll put some time into Sleeping Dogs over the next few days then decide if it'll be Dark Souls or Assassin's Creed 3, which I see Sleezy playing via XBL. It's not released here until Friday, I think, and I'm sorely tempted to skip Revelations completely.

I installed Revelations this morning but it'll be nothing more than a scouting mission, I think. The graphics are a definite step up from the first 3 games but the engine is showing its age. Turkey does look marvellous though, and I'm a sucker for the series.

A central character in his 50s (still with great hair, though, but with a beard as grey as mine is ) is a nice change so I might play it for longer than I'd planned.

In the Beginning...
I'll put some time into Sleeping Dogs over the next few days then decide if it'll be Dark Souls or Assassin's Creed 3, which I see Sleezy playing via XBL. It's not released here until Friday, I think, and I'm sorely tempted to skip Revelations completely.

I installed Revelations this morning but it'll be nothing more than a scouting mission, I think. The graphics are a definite step up from the first 3 games but the engine is showing its age. Turkey does look marvellous though, and I'm a sucker for the series.

A central character in his 50s (still with great hair, though, but with a beard as grey as mine is ) is a nice change so I might play it for longer than I'd planned.
I think you'll like Revelations. The engine is definitely a bit old, but there's a great little game there. If you choose not to play it, though, I'd recommend watching the Altair segments of the game and the ending on Youtube. That will get you prepped a bit (or at least jazzed up) for Assassin's Creed III.

Speaking of which, yeah, I'm playing it because I'm stuck at home with my vehicle in the shop. I'm going to get into it a bit before I post a write-up of my thoughts, but my general feeling is that there's a lot of good, but some not-so-good. A few of the new features and controls break out of the Assassin's Creed mold, so it takes a bit getting used to them. And I'm not crazy about the notoriety system so far.

But hey, the game is gorgeous and the story, though a bit hurried, is cracking along fairly nicely. It's also pretty clear that we're looking at the largest Assassin's Creed game thus far, in terms of physical scale. It dwarfs the Ezio games and probably edges the original, though I'm still only breaking the surface.

As runny, jumpy, climby games go, the AC games never quite had that sense of wonder that I had with the first Tomb Raider game but the series as a whole is an awful lot more consistent.

What I immediately enjoyed about Revelations was the promise of the type of world from the first game but with all the improvements in gameplay that have appeared over the last few years. You had a sense that Tomb Raider added new moves and abilities just for the sake of it but in Assassin's Creed they blend seamlessly.

I'll give Revelations an hour or two and see how I get on.

started playing assasins creed 3 (PS3) pretty good so far been skipping most of the side missions, becuase ive played all of them and i jus want to find out what happens now :P , use to play starcraft broodwar back in the day only been playing starcraft2 for a few months now pretty good game.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
So, I've just beaten Assassin's Creed III last night. I gotta say...it was a pretty friggin' awesome experience. The story is fantastic, the historical characters are colorful and alive and show real humanity, the setting is probably my favorite in all the series, and the gameplay mechanics apart from the amazing combat are done rather well, even if some aren't used that much. I will say this, however; the story's pacing is bothersome, as some parts feel either slow or rushed, which didn't bother me too much, to be honest. The focus of the plot was Connor's story, not that of the entire American Revolution, which would've taken forever. So in that regard, I admire what they did with the story. Another thing, the ending of Desmond's storyline...it ended well, but really abruptly, and I have my theories as to why the series has just ended the way it did, but that's for another time). Also, some glitches come with the territory, but they're nothing game-breaking, at least on the PS3 version of the game (don't know about how the Xbox 360 version handles). I know some reviewers are nitpicking the smaller details, but that's only because they're looking for them. Overall, the game gets a 9.5/10 from me. The pacing and ending of the story are what bring it down a bit, but as I said, it doesn't bother me much. It doesn't take away from the incredible experience that is Assassin's Creed III.

Oh, man.

&feature=plcp

When I saw the Morrowind-style landscapes I think I started salivating.

In other news: My plans for a quick run through of AC Revelations went west pretty quickly. Two words - tower defence. *shudder*

AC3 doesn't seem to be getting a PC release until the end of the month so I went out and bought Forza Horizon. As you do.

It's excellent. The first open world driving game I've played that's not compromised - It's got a large map, big selection of cars, great graphics and excellent driving physics. It's basically Forza 4 on the open road with a bit of Need For Speed thrown in.

In the Beginning...
Oh, man.

When I saw the Morrowind-style landscapes I think I started salivating.
Yep. And dragon mounts. And a tantalizingly mysterious storyline. And a lot of crazy stuff happening in the trailer. And back to Solstheim. I can't wait.

In other news: My plans for a quick run through of AC Revelations went west pretty quickly. Two words - tower defence. *shudder*
Yeah, that's the only legitimately element of the game, and thankfully, if you train up your assassin recruits, place them in charge of the towers, and do their specific "Master Assassin" missions, you'll lock them in and the towers will no longer have to be defended. Unfortunately, you still have to do a few tower defenses (I think I did 4 or 5 total, all losses), but there's a trick. Once the defense is over, the game places you in the danger zone, somewhere close to the new tower guard. So all you have to do is find a crowd of people to blend into, wait for him to come around, and then BAM. Gut him, hit him with a bomb, whatever. Light the fire and the tower once again belongs to you.

If you give the game another shot, that is.

I'm now Xbox Gold again (bought a 3 month card), mainly so I could get online with Forza. I'm really enjoying slowly picking off the champions in the various classes but have been playing for hours and am still under 20% completion.

It's a big game.

Nice little video on The Elder Scrolls Online, the first trailer of which went online today.

&feature=g-u-u

As I do with most of the big MMOs, I'll probably buy it and play until my free trial runs out then uninstall and forget. I'm just not wired that way, I guess.

Incidentally, the guy who made the above video does fantastic Lets Plays (he's done Skyrim, Fallout 3, Amnesia and Dishonored, with VTM Bloodlines to come) and this is coming from someone who hates Lets Plays. Check out his feed.

In other news: I got a really good deal on XCOM - Bought the disc (which is really just a Steam Install and code) plus the pre-order DLC in GAME for a tenner less than Steam are doing. I've done nothing more than play the tutorial but it seems interesting so far.