Those Lame Movie Slogans!!

Tools    

Is it just me, or do I sense quite a distance growing between our new member Mr. Falkwein and our gracious host TWTCommish? Let's keep things friendly, guys.

I've got to say though, the Matrix slogan, however clever it is, is still corny.

I didn't like The Truman Show's. "On the Air. Unaware." Apparently it's catchy because it rhymes. I can imagine a person who writes ad copy for the studio sitting back at his computer, stretching his arms, satisfied with another day's work done. "Well, it's clever boss!" "OK, let's put it on every poster, so we can not only spoil the movie for everyone, but also sound really cheesy."

I think The Frighteners' one is rather corny, just because the movie was more of a comedy than anything else. I didn't find it to be all that scary. It had some kind of tongue-in-cheek tone that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Or am I just overanalyzing? I dunno.

I think "Look Closer...", for American Beauty was a clever marketing tactic. It's incredibly vague, but combined with the image on the poster it's quite intriguing. How else could what would normally be an art-house movie get into big multiplexes, let alone gross almost $100 million?

I think they were just running low on ideas. I haven't actually seen the movie but I'm sure the script/plot is horrible and the graphics are incredibley cheesey.

Naw, I like Falkwain, or whatever his name is. Just don't always agree, that's all. I agree: American Beauty's is clever. I honestly don't see the corniness in The Matrix's main tagline.

The Matrix is one you'll want to check out. The visuals are spectacular, no lie.

what about
trust a few fear the rest- Xmen
that doesn't even make sense!

"Are You Unbreakable?" -- Unbreakable. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Unbreakable, but that tagline bugs me. It's not totally idiotic or anything, but it's kind of stupid. I would have used something about finding your purpose.

Smokin' Aces

May the best hitman win

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
I can't think of any!! At the moment!

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Some movie slogans really aren't so lame after all, however.

Granted, these particular movie slogans are meant to market the movie(s) that they're sloganeering, and can be grossly exaggerated at times. However, I also think that some of these advertising movie slogans have a strong element of truth to them.

MGM's slogan for the classic film West Side Story, "Unlike other classics, West Side Story grows younger", for example, has a strong element of truth to it, and is not lame at all, imho. In fact, I never fail to notice something new every time I see this great film.

Best, worst slogan ever!!!

mermermer... panties on.

My friend just reminded me of this little gem:

The Girl Next Door
Matt Never Saw Her Coming..
But all his friends had!

Utter genius!!!

EDIT: Also an excuse to put a picture of Elisha Cuthbert up

Stupid? It's an incredibly clever marketing tactic. They're basically planting a seed inside you that wants to know what The Matrix is -- it wants to see the movie to find out. They are, in a VERY subtle way, saying that you can't understand the secret behind the movie without seeing the movie.
Well, in my case the crop they planted apparently failed because I've never had the slightest interest in that movie.

My current favourite terrible one line slogan

Ratman - "The critter from the shitter."

Volcano - "The coast is toast." was pretty bad too.

And a couple I thought were genuinely good.

Scanners - "10 Seconds: The Pain Begins. 15 Seconds: You Can't Breathe. 20 Seconds: You Explode." *This worked really well with the trailer, too.*

Alien - "In space no one can hear you scream." *I'm not much of a fan of the film, but it's a great tag line.*

The Elected Movie Eliminator
The worst one ever on screen, the Asylum's Alien VS Hunter. Slogan : Battle Zone: Zone

Making a difference
Greeting guys! Hope this thread has not been opened else where. If it has apologies, and if it has not please lets contribute.
Below are a few movie taglines that catch my eyes are:

City of God- If you run you're dead... If you stay you're dead again. Period
Yesterday- Powerless to change the past... She lived to change the future
Notebook- Behind every great love is a great story
Doubt- There is no evidence. There is no witnesses. But for one, there is no doubt.
North Country- All she wanted was to make a living. Instead she made history.

My favorite is for Jaws 2. Anyways its a much better tagline then movie.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..."

Such a cool tagline. My other favorite though is for Crank: High Voltage, again the tagline is better than the movie.

"He was dead...He got better"

Awesome.

I think there is a thread like this someone, becasue I've posted this before. I don't care though, because it's my favourite tagline of all time

Ratman - "He's The Critter From The Shitter"