Top 5 Lists

Tools    

Take 5...musicals with a darker edge

Show Boat (1936 and 1951)

Though this seminal musical was filmed twice, the presence of Howard Keel and Ava Gardener in the 1951 film means that film gets my vote.
Show Boat's more of an operetta than your typical Broadway song-and-dance, but let's not be nit-picky. Written in 1929, it was one of the first musicals that tackled a serious theme. The success of Show Boat proved that musicals could be more than light-hearted fluff.

It's set on a 19th century showboat, travelling down the Mississippi to entertain the locals with a bit of song and dance. Kathryn Grayson and Howard Keel are the lead couple: she's the shy but talented daughter of the captain, he's a gambler reformed by love. Though their relationship encounters difficulties over the years, it is the story of the star attraction of the show, Julie (Ava Gardener), which raises social issues. Julie is mixed-race but her husband is white, thus breaking the miscegenation laws. Poor Julie's plight, just like the plight of the black slaves that work the cotton fields, is doomed to misery. The advantage that the 1936 film has is that Paul Robeson plays Joe, the black stevedore of the ship whose lament, 'Ol' Man River', has become a classic. It's filled with good songs but my other favourite is 'Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man of Mine', 'an old Negro song' sung unashamedly by Julie.

The ending may not be tragic but it's definitely bitter-sweet.

West Side Story (1961)

Before Step-Up and Save The Last Dance, there was West Side Story. Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet, it is the tale of two rival gangs- the white Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks. Tony (Richard Beymer) is a Jet; Maria (Natalie Wood) is the sister of the Shark's leader, Bernardo (George Chakiris). Entangled in gang culture and racial hatred, can their love survive? Well, it's based on Romeo and Juliet...

These gangs don't use street dance- they strut around their territory, using ballet moves that are surprisingly effective. The opening number, Prologue/Jets Song, is a classic piece of musical choreography.
The songs are filled with teenage frustration and doomed romance. If you're looking for social critiques, America is a witty yet clever ironic ode to America. If you're a sucker for tragic romance, Somewhere will give you shivers. For those who think they hate musicals, try this one.

Cabaret (1972)

If you really don't like musicals at all, Cabaret is the one for you. If you have to restrict yourself to just one serious political musical, pick this one, based on Christopher Isherwood’s semi-autobiography, Goodbye to Berlin. Brian Roberts (Michael York) is a young writer living in Berlin in the late twenties, scraping a living by teaching English to the locals. Eccentric Sally Bowles (Liza Minnelli, in her career-defining role) is his roommate, and the star of the Kit Kat Club, a decadent Berlin nightclub presided over by the sinister MC (Joel Gray). However outside of the Kit Kat Club and Brian and Sally's love affair, the Nazis are rising and Berlin will be changed forever.

Cabaret is both witty, ironic, and sinister. These Nazis are much more frightening than those ones in The Sound of Music. The songs in Cabaret are all set in the Kit Kat Club, apart from a Nazi boy’s anthem “Tomorrow Belongs to Me”, so there’s no breaking out into song-and-dance at the drop of a bowler hat. Great songs, great story, and made all the more darker by the fact that it’s a musical.

Chicago (2002)

Kander and Ebb’s next musical after Cabaret. Also set in the early thirties, it charts wannabe star and murderess Roxie Hart’s (Renee Zelwegger) struggle to avoid the gallows and become a star like Velma Kelly (Catherine Zeta Jones). It’s up to louche lawyer Billy Flynn (Richard Gere) to use his razzle dazzle to save her from the gallows.

Based on a true story, this is a clever satire on the media and the legal system, where being infamous is better than being famous. The music is fabulous jazz, the dancing is glam, and it’s so much fun that you forget how dark it really is. If Nazis don’t do it for you, singing-and-dancing murderesses might.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2009)

For stage musical fans, there’s two big names. One is crowd-pleaser Andrew Lloyd Webber, responsible for hits like The Phantom of The Opera and Cats. The other name is crowd-punisher Stephen Sondheim, whose musicals drip with cynicism. Even fairytales end miserably in Sondheim-land. Both Lloyd Webber and Sondheim are loved and loathed in equal measure but if you don’t like musicals, you’ll probably find yourself siding with Sondheim (who was involved in the lyrics for West Side Story. ‘America’ is a typical Sondheim song).

This musical based on a penny dreadful (although special features on the DVD imply that there is a grain of truth there). Sweeney Todd (Johnny Depp) is a bitter barber, out for revenge. His admirer and neighbour, Mrs Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter), bemoans the lack of custom she gets in her bakery. Lovett proposes a business plan: as Sweeney’s parlour is conveniently above Lovett’s bakery, he will slit the throat of his customers and they will fall through a chute into Lovett’s bakery, where they will become tasty meat pies. The only meat Sweeney wants though is that of Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman), who raped Sweeney’s wife and is now the guardian of Sweeney’s teenage daughter Johanna, who he locks up in her room so he can drool over her. A family musical, then.

The film is not as good as the stage musical- it misses out the epic Prologue for starters, aesthetically it looks a bit like a teenager’s computer game, and the singing is not that strong (is Tim Burton bound by law to cast Depp and Bonham Carter together?), but even as a record of the musical, it’s worth it. Unlike Show Boat, there’s no bitter-sweet ending. It’s as bitter as a cuckolded coffee bean forced to watch the entirety of Sondheim’s repertoire.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

This musical is yet again based on a true story.
No, it's not. Sweeney Todd is a ficticional character of the Victorian penny dreadfuls. I didn't like this film very much. I actually went to the cinema to see this, in the hope that it'd be worth it. It wasn't. I was really interested in this film until I found out it was going to be a musical.

No, it's not. Sweeney Todd is a ficticional character of the Victorian penny dreadfuls.
Just made my edit

I didn't like this film very much. I actually went to the cinema to see this, in the hope that it'd be worth it. It wasn't. I was really interested in this film until I found out it was going to be a musical
It's a film adaptation of the Sondheim musical so I'm not sure how you didn't realise it was a musical. Perhaps the trailer played that aspect down.

The film isn't perfect but it's a good example of Sondheim's work, hence why I have included it. The songs are operatic and so more operatic delivery would have been beneficial, I feel.

FGI, have you seen The Class or Half Nelson? I assume you like those types of films for choosing that '5' first, maybe they don't directly involve 'education' but both would make my list on the topic

It's a film adaptation of the Sondheim musical so I'm not sure how you didn't realise it was a musical. Perhaps the trailer played that aspect down.
I knew it was a musical when I saw it, though one of the people I went with didn't. She did not have a nice evening.

What I meant was that I was interested in seeing it when I first heard Burton was making it. However, at that time, I didn't know it was based on the musical. Once I found that out, I was a lot less interested and, had I not been tempted to see it on the big screen, because I thought it'd be worth it, I probably wouldn't have seen it to this day. I still think a dark, serious, horror film based on the story/character would've been a lot better. Well, I'd have liked it a lot more, anyway.

The film isn't perfect but it's a good example of Sondheim's work, hence why I have included it. The songs are operatic and so more operatic delivery would have been beneficial, I feel.
I've thought for a long time now that Sondheim makes musicals for people who don't like musicals, but want to.

Take 5... Science Fiction

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece is, as Roger Ebert put it, "alone among science-fiction movies" in that it is "not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe." Perhaps truer words have never been spoken (or rather, printed) about 2001: A Space Odyssey, a poetic and meditative film dealing with a topic as broad as the universe itself: man's reason for existence. The most visually striking and intellectually challenging film I have ever seen; and as a result, 2001 is easily my favorite of all science fiction movies.

Blade Runner (1982)

Film noir meets sci-fi in Blade Runner, a film every bit as visually influential as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Harrison Ford gives his finest performance as Rick Deckard, a so-called Blade Runner who must hunt down a team of rogue replicants, led by one of my favorite movie villains, Roy Batty. Beneath the simple dystopian action movie plot lies a morale that has been studied, interpreted and analyzed for nearly 30 years.

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

To prove that "Empire" is by far the best of all the Star Wars movies, I find myself once again quoting Roger Ebert: "The Empire Strikes Back is the best of three Star Wars films, and the most thought-provoking. After the space opera cheerfulness of the original film, this one plunges into darkness and even despair, and surrenders more completely to the underlying mystery of the story. It is because of the emotions stirred in "Empire'' that the entire series takes on a mythic quality that resonates back to the first and ahead to the third. This is the heart." And indeed it is, as The Empire Strikes Back not only has the most iconic moments in the series ("I am your father", Han frozen in carbonite, the Battle of Hoth, the first appearances of Yoda, Palpatine, Boba Fett, and Lando) as well as the best visuals. the few people on Earth who haven't seen this had better do so right now.

The Terminator (1984)

One of the best low-budget films ever. The first Terminator film is the best because it has a suspenseful quality that the sequels lack. Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger create the cinema's ultimate cat-and-mouse chase. And like Blade Runner, this film is also often credited with having created the tech-noir genre.

Alien (1979)

Another film from master of sci-fi Ridley Scott. Before Sir Ridley made one of the most visually beautiful films ever made, he directed one of the most visually horrifying. Alien, one of the most claustrophobically tense and suspenseful films I've ever seen, is also the greatest sci-fi horror hybrid of all time.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Excellent picks on sci-fi, would only change The Terminator with it's superior sequel.

I don't watch much science fiction but your pick seems like a good guide to start with. Blade Runner sounds interesting.

FGI, have you seen The Class or Half Nelson? I assume you like those types of films for choosing that '5' first, maybe they don't directly involve 'education' but both would make my list on the topic
I haven't seen either film but The Class looks very interesting

I'll play.

Take 5... Fantasy

The beauty of the fantasy genre is in its variety. A fantasy film can accommodate effective sub-genres more perhaps than any other genre. Each of my picks therefore will have a different sub-genre in addition to fantasy.

Fantasy/Crime: The Green Mile

The Green Mile works fantasy into a taught crime drama set in a death row prison in the 1930s. The supernatural elements give the film a distinct and unique atmosphere not yet matched.

Fantasy/Drama: The Truman Show

The story of a man whose whole life has been watched on TV by millions worldwide. Jim Carrey is at his absolute best, and Peter Wier's dierection is something to behold. The whole experience is surreal thanks to a perfect blend of expert writing, cinematography and general creativity.

Fantasy/Romance: Amelie

A wonderful french film that takes on a fantasy feel purely from the happiness of the whole experience. It is a true joy to look at and to me the absolute definition of a feel-good film.

Fantasy/Mystery: Pan's Labyrinth

An adult fantasy, Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth is violent, surreal and at times terrifying. The performances of the cast, perhaps most notably the incredible costume work of Doug Jones, are brilliant.

Fantasy/Comedy: Groundhog Day

Maybe the example of a brilliant premise executed to perfection. Bill Murray gives one of the best comedic performances in history, the whole film is hilarious and a great deal of fun to watch.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Take 5... Action Films of the '90's

Con Air (1997)

It's no secret lately that I love this film, for all it's corniness, stupidity and lack of logic. It's honestly a film that I'm not ashamed to love. Nicolas Cage is badass, the guitar theme is epic and the action sequences, including landing an airplane on the Las Vegas strip and a fire engine chase, plain rule. The best thing about it, though, is that it can make a serial killer escaping police custody funny, and Steve Buscemi seem menacing.

Point Break (1991)

Another "f**k logic" type of movie. Before The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow made this superior work, featuring the greatest cinema foot chase and influential filmmaking, most noticeable in Hot Fuzz, where Point Break is referenced multiple times.

Face/Off (1997)

Despite his lauded image, Nicolas Cage was one of the leading action stars of the '90's. Con Air, The Rock and this high concept thriller, in which Nic plays opposite to John Travolta's manic bad guy, where a cop and a criminal trade faces.

Broken Arrow (1996)

Travolta plays a rogue pilot who steals some nuclear weapons from the military, and it's up to Christian Slater to stop him. It's been a while since I've watched it, but the thrill of the first viewing still remains in my mind.

Last Boy Scout (1991)

One of my all-time favourites, for it's general humour, simplicity and it's awesome ending.

Could be. God knows I'm not a fan. Maybe it was expectation, though. Even though I've never liked Cage, I went into Con Air looking forward to it. With that cast, at that time, how could I not? But it did nothing for me. Face-Off I was more wary of, due to Cage and the fact that I didn't like the trailer. However, I was a big fan of Woo and even liked Broken Arrow and Hard Target. That's a JCVD film, ffs! (OK, Lance Henriksen is in it and I love that guy, but still...)

So it was probably a combination of the two.

Take 5... Avant-Garde

Interim

A film about the complex and doomed relationships between male sex and the female sex, (as stated in the film, our character's names are ♂ and ♀). The lack of any real communication outside of the natural communication to procreate is indeed a sombre and poignant one Brakhage conveys. It's indeed one of my favorite works of his, and even more amazing is that this is his first film. While perhaps not my favorite film of his, I still think it's one of his finer films, and his only film I'll mention on this "Take 5..." since there are other auteurs I want to mention as well.

Lights

Lights remains one of my favorite Marie Menken films. It is clear in it's aesthetics that Menken is trying to achieve something higher for film, something Brakhage would later actually realize in his work. But this aestheticism is about the "individual"-collection of film cells, rather than the "collective"-collection of film cells. The aesthetic become rather of color and shade, light and dark, rather than the lights themselves. Pure genius.

Scorpio Rising

Perhaps my favorite Kenneth Anger film Scorpio Rising is a music video collage of the rituals of biker life. From "Fool's Rush In", foreboding the eventual demise of our biker protagonists to the harsh realities of "Wipe Out", when our biker culture destroys themselves, Anger's masterpiece is both in your face and wildly entertaining... that is, if you connect the pieces from sound and sight.

Tribulation 99

I've expressed many times on this forum my love of Craig Baldwin, especially Tribulation 99. But the reason I love it is that it follows the rules of formulism, through the means of stock footage, to create a construction of non-existent paranoia and conspiracy theories. Ultimately, it's frenetic pace leads one to believe we are viewing the world through the eyes of a schizophrenic, and subsequently, the destruction of the Earth.

Meshes of the Afternoon

Perhaps Maya Deren's most essential work, perhaps not even my favorite actually, but nonetheless impressive. Deren's work becomes a venture into dreamlike states. How she edits films is astounding, using repeated actions, etc. to convey a person's inner emotional state of mind. She was the God Mother of all of the American Avant-Gardists, and the reason I specifically saved her, and this film, for the last of "Take 5".

Hope you see some of these films, and enjoy them as much as I have!
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Dog-Star Man, that's definitely an area of expertise for you. Very interesting. I'm afraid I can only offer my interests but I'm glad that there's contributions from people who really know their stuff.

Take 5......Dustin Hoffman

Nothing to explain...These are memorable movies of My Favorite Actor

1.The Graduate

2.Midnight Cowboy

3.Rain man

4.Kramer vs Kramer

5.All The President's Men