The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
One of the positives in EA's takeover of Bioware, then.

Don't know of many other EA titles exclusive to a particular console, in other words. As a downside, just think how much more nonsense DLC (and so much of the ME2 DLC is just overpowered weapons and armour which go a good way towards breaking the game if used at the start) they'll release to pay for future ports - hopefully the PS3 port will be some sort of GOTY edition with some of the downloads (the good ones) already in there.

What really bugged me about the two recent EA/Bioware releases was the 'exclusive' codes which came with the games. It's just a crafty way of stopping people buying used copies (where the devs get no money) because they'll spend daft amounts paying for the DLC that the new game has for free. How much is the Cerberus Network again?

On a similar note, did anyone see the black propaganda on XBL recently? Basically, it was a little essay asking people not to trade their games because you never know when one of your tight-arsed friends is gonna buy a particular game in the future and the poor little lambs need people to play against online. Then, of course, there is future downloadable content which might be brilliant and you'll kick yourself.

They should have added that it's always possible to re-purchase a lot of games via XBL at horrendously inflated amounts compared to even new store prices, let alone used.

Smokin' Joe Stalin was never this good.

EDIT - Talking of PS3, it looks like the old girl has finally lost her cherry and been hacked. Not that I would want to condone any kind of shiver-me-timbers style shenanigans, oh no. Heck, mention the name Dark Alex to me and all I say is "I'm able to store all my legitimately bought games on one large memory stick rather than carrying loads of PSP UMDs about. Honest" Yeah.

On a slightly more serious note, console hacking is not all 'bad'. The old Xbox had a whole new lease of life as a media centre and classic game emulator. XBMC still plays far more file formats than anything bar stuff like PS3 Media Server which has to re-encode via your PC.

If the new PS3 dongle thingie turns out to be 100% legit (legit in that it works, heh) I wonder how sales of the console will rise? A lot of people were saying that a big why reason 360s were so popular was because of drive-flashing etc. Now we'll find out.

Mass Effect 2 is coming to the PS3! Awesome.
Shame the first won't. Which is better in some ways, main story for one. There's also the fact Mass Effect 2 will be a default story, instead of all the choices made in the first game being in the second, you just have the basic story. Personally, I think you need to play Mass Effect before Mass Effect 2 for the full story, and for your universe to be shaped. The people who buy the PS3 version of ME2 aren't going to get that same kind of 'bond' (need to phrase that better.) Still a great game though.

You can change the same bits of ME2 without a ME1 savegame though - Where Miranda's quizzing you in the shuttle to see if you've lost your memory. Knowledge of the first game is preferable but ME2's perfectly understandable if you've not played the first instalment.

I wonder how Bioware will cope with the port? Dragon Age had better textures on PS3 but an inferior frame rate, and that game was pretty ugly looking compared to ME2.

But I'm pretty sure Wrex will not be in the game if you don't keep him alive in ME1. The council being alive or dying, and the stuff with Anderson and the other guy (the douche) being a council member or leader. Things like that. Obviously not playing the first game doesn't mean you should never play the second, but the story and that kinda thing is so much better if you play the first game. SO MUCH BETTER!

There's also the news person being different as you wouldn't have spoken to her, the fan, some of the poeple you meet and help and don't help through-out the first game, it's not just the main characters that are affected.

Yeah, but that's what Miranda asks you - Did the council live or die? Which crew member did you save? Stuff like that which is important to the story. I'm sure there are details which revert to 'default' (Nassana Dantius springs to mind but you'll encounter her in ME1 no matter what) if you don't have a savegame but the main plot points from ME1 are covered.

A system of cells interlinked
Damn you Algalon...Damn you...

I can't remember her asking me if the council died tbh. I remember her asking about Ashley and Kaiden (is that how it was spelt?) and that's about it, I also don't remember her asking about Wrex. My main point is, you shape the games universe more with playing ME1 before ME2, even the little things, while not important are there and the way they are because of the choices you've made, which is great. It won't ruin the game, it's just great to see the rewards/consequences of your actions.

Oh, I agree with you. ME1 experience is preferable but any subtle differences in ME2 are only gonna carry weight if you've played the first game.

Anyway - If any 360 owners haven't played it, Mass Effect is a bargain right now. I've regularly seen it brand new in chain stores for £12 (the double disc GOTY) and ME2 for £15. It's just as cheap for PC.

because I havent seen my PS3 for almost 2 months now I am home on my old PC(trust me its old) and there is not much to play but DooM 3 on awesome graphics and that game still scares the **** out of me

Get The Orange Box from Steam. If your PC can play Doom 3 you should be able to ace Half Life 2.

Yeah I used to play Episode one and everyone says that Portal is the shiat I might do that Thanks

If anyone's interested in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light on XBL, there's a guy selling legit unlock codes on eBay for just £5 - got one this morning. They must have been some sort of promotional thingie. Half price, MoFos, half price.

Best download game I've played in ages, too, and the best Tomb Raider (in all but name) for easily a decade.

Halo: Reach is out Tuesday, who's buying it? I'm not btw.

Getting the Halo Reach Bundle.

Decided to get Reach, pretty good actually.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive been playing Halo 3 allot recently, will be getting Reach for Christmas