The Videogames Tab

Tools    

How can anybody review a game based on the demo? Even if it's a long demo, you're still not getting the whole experience.
They're being paid to promote it or want to look cool?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not really a videogame but this wouldn't work if you didn't have a PS3.

I got my hands on a PlayTV box and it has quickly replaced my old PVR. The quality is great (upscaling SD TV signals with the promise of full HD once it's available on Freeview) and stuff is really easy to archive and stick on a USB drive (and then your PC to be burned to a disc etc) if your PS3 hard drive is running out of space.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
You only said you played the demo. You didn't say anything about your rating applying to the demo and not the full game. When you post this:
Originally Posted by Jrs
Batman: Arkham Asylum

It's kinda obvious I was rating the demo when the game hasn't come out yet so you're comment to me is pointless. What else would my rating be applied to? Anyway, I showed the cover of the actual video game because that was what demo I was playing. Common sense.

...it looks a lot like you're smitten with the game and preemptively giving it a high review before you've played the rest of it. You're also the only person I've ever seen who bothered to "rate" a video game demo.You're also the only person I've ever seen who bothered to "rate" a video game demo.
It was a great demo and worth playing. I even did it twice. And yes I'm the first person to review 'AND' rate a demo.

Welcome to the human race...
Believe it or not...

Fallout (PC)

Picked this up blind for about $10 the other day. Finding it a bit of a challenge to get used to, but so far I'm enjoying it.

An absolute classic, and I think Fallout 2 is even better so track that down if you can.

There's high res patches (no extra files, just optimising for modern monitors) and other stuff on this site, which I always use when firing the old girl up.

I'd recommend a game called Arcanum if you like the original Fallouts - it shared some of the developers. Just make sure you get at least the official patch for it, and there are a few fan-made mods which tidy things up.

Welcome to the human race...
Saw Fallout 2 sitting next to the original in the same place - will investigate once I beat the original. Only going to set me back another $10.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new PS3 Slim? I wonder if it'll finally kickstart sales?

I'd say we'd have seen an upturn anyway in September when Gran Turismo 5 is finally released. You can't run Linux on the new one though and that ... means absolutely nothing to me.

In terms of price it'll be $299 in the US and £249 over here - not much more than a 360 Elite in the UK.

Fast/fun puzzles to solve and the online co-op is really awesome (when it works). The bosses are insanely cheap though , my biggest complaint.

Shadow Complex

Plays like a Metroid sidescroller , but the enemies are actually fun to kill instead of being annoyances - and the areas are distinct making it feel like you are constantly diving deeper into this giant base (it also makes familiarizing yourself with the place easier).

The best single player experience on the arcade yet.

Although this one would clearly benefit from having a nice big HD screen , it's a game fueled by fun motion controls and wondrous graphics/music.

Still can't focus cancel

Flower's amazing, isn't it? Must play through it again to mop up the trophies.

I downloaded the Shadow Complex demo yesterday but haven't had the chance to give it a spin yet. Also in the middle of downloading Eve Online, which I've heard good things about for years but, because I've only once got beyond the free trial stage of an MMO due to my low boredom threshold, have never tried it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
As were going on hol's I have borrowed GTA for the DS and my son has bought Lego Batman for the DS aswell so ill be giving that a whirl aswell

As the villa we are staying in has a PS2 we picked 3 games for £5 yesterday...

Not sure where to put this but it's a 360 accessory so it'll go here.

My HD DVD player arrived today and it's a great little app - Totally plug and play and even works on the PC (though haven't tried it there yet). Of course, there aren't a huge number of films I want to buy for it (being mostly blockbuster stuff and generally very loud) but what there is is absurdly cheap. We're talking £2.99 here which is bargain bin standard DVD money.

I can remember Xtravision (our Blockbuster) were selling the player bundle for £6.99 last year when HD DVD went belly-up and I marvelled at the value of it, but as I didn't have a 360 then I obviously didn't bite.

Big thanks to Mr McClane for doing some research on my behalf on another thread.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned in here, but BBC Four has commissioned Charlie Brooker to do a Gameswipe. It's a one-off at the moment, but I guess there's scope for a full series.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Love Socom and Timesplitters, nice ones there.

Have 100% Trophies in Flower, wish there was a Platinum one.

Just bought Arkham Asylum, liking it so far.

Suspect's Reviews

Banned from Hollywood.
not a new games freak and havent been into videogames since the NES...around 1992 was the last time i bought one...however i recently was given a cd rom with all the nes games with emulator from a friend, and i have been playing the last 2 months..brings back a lot of memories...i guess i will always love the nes...i was so sad when i sold all my games and the nes system back in 1992 that i thought i would never get a chance to play them again...so its great to have all of them back , and all the others released, and getting the chance to enjoy them on the PC.

the last 2 months i have been playing Zelda 2 and Mario Bros 2 and 3..completed Zelda 2 yesterday (which happens to be my all time favorite nes game, and i am amazed that i managed to finish it so quickly as i hadnt played it in over 15 years and still managed to remember it a bit)... and Mario Bros 3 the day before..

will post some other games that i will be completing in the next few weeks (hopefully...and if i dont get bored of playing again )

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted, but I've been playing Naruto: The Broken Bond. I honestly think it's fantastic, better than it's prequal, I thought that was great to, though a tad (read as very) short.

Started playing X-Men Origins: Wolverine yesterday, seems pretty fun, and a fun movie tie-in which is odd as 99.9% of movie tie-ins are pure crud.

I also played Shadow Complex a fair bit, it's reminds me of Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion. Well Metroid games, of the 2D variety, also kinda reminds me of the Castlevania games, the ones people tend to call Metroidvania, due to the similarity in game layout, etc.

I think 'Splosion man was great, but only got to the first boss and just haven't been compelled to go back to it.

I did get Capcom Vs Marvel 2, t'is good, but I suck immense balls at it.

Trials HD is another game I grabbed, now that is a FUN game. Really like it, but am on hard and fudge me it is damn hard. Really good game, and if you've not got/played it, it's definatly worth giving the demo a shot.

Lastly I got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time ReShelled. It's plain-old-side-scrolling-beat-the-crap-into-things-fun. I like it. Now I need a few friends online to play it with One more thing BF1943 is pretty fun, innit?

I played the demo of 'Splosion Man and it didn't make me want to shell out any money for it - it's fun in an 'N+ crossed with a Peperami' kinda way but seemed to get very repetitive very quickly - not a good thing with a demo.

N+ is kick ass. I suck at that to though, stuck on a level with 2 homo missiles.

It's just so unforgiving, though. I'm probably a pussy at it but I tend to lose interest real quick if I get blown up 5 times on the trot.

These days I lose interest in games real quick, period. Maybe it's the Summer release lull.