Downton Abbey 3

Tools    

Yes, it's official now!

Downton Abbey is getting a “final” chapter, according to Imelda Staunton.

The actress, who played Queen Mary’s lady-in-waiting Lady Maud Bagshaw in the first two films, has confirmed reports that a third movie is in the works.

Asked about Downton Abbey rumors by BBC Radio 2 breakfast show host Zoe Ball, Staunton said: “There will be the final film – there you go.”

Ball joked that she hoped Staunton was not going to get into trouble for the revelation, to which the actress replied: “I don’t care.”

Julian Fellowes’ wildly successful period drama started life as a television series on ITV in 2020. It went on to spawn six seasons and two movies, helping put British drama on the map internationally.

Staunton’s comments followed a report in The Sun on Wednesday, which claimed that the third movie will film at Highclere Castle over the summer and premiere next year.

The Sun also reported that The Holdovers star Paul Giamatti could reprise his role as Harold Levinson, the brother of the Countess of Grantham, after he appeared in the 2013 Christmas special.

Speaking ahead of the release of Downton Abbey: A New Era in 2022, Fellowes said cast and crew have struggled to let go of the franchise.

“They say goodbye, everyone cries, and two years later we’re back at it,” he told the Radio Times. “I think each time it’s goodbye, but whether it is or not, who knows?”

Carnival Films and NBCUniversal have been contacted for comment.

Downton Abbey: A New Era grossed nearly $93M worldwide, while the first movie made $195M in 2019, according to Box Office Mojo.

Milking this to death.

They’re going to need an even bigger dining room table.

Paul Giamatti, Joely Richardson, Alessandro Nivola, Simon Russell Beale and Arty Froushan are joining the third “Downton Abbey” feature film. Giamatti, who recently scored an Oscar nomination playing an ornery teacher in “The Holdovers,” is reprising his role as Harold Levinson, the bother of Elizabeth McGovern’s Cora Grantham, a part he played in the TV show that spawned the film franchise.

No word yet on who Richardson, Nivola, Beale and Froushan will portray. Nor are there any details about the plot, but this being “Downton Abbey” you can expect silverware to be polished to a high gloss, tables set with military precision and a mad dash to find an adequate number of ladies maids to service all the guests for this or that soiree.

In addition, “Downton Abbey” regulars McGovern, Hugh Bonneville, Michelle Dockery, Laura Carmichael, Jim Carter, Phyllis Logan, Robert James-Collier, Joanne Froggatt, Allen Leech, Penelope Wilton, Lesley Nicol, Michael Fox, Raquel Cassidy, Brendan Coyle, Kevin Doyle, Harry Hadden-Paton, Sophie McShera and Douglas Reith will all return for the third film. Dominic West will also reprise his role as silent film star Guy Dexter from “Downton Abbey: A New Era.”

The third film is penned by “Downton” creator and Oscar-winning “Gosford Park” writer Julian Fellowes. Simon Curtis is returning to direct after helming 2022’s “Downton Abbey: A New Era,” while Gareth Neame, Fellowes and Liz Trubridge will produce the picture. The new “Downton Abbey” is a Carnival Films production, with Focus Features and Universal Pictures International distributing.

Sure do hope Giamatti is not gonna try a British accent.
This is what happens when you a) don't bother even reading the story that is in the OP and b) don't remember he played Cora's brother in the series.

This is what happens when you a) don't bother even reading the story that is in the OP and b) don't remember he played Cora's brother in the series.
I’m smart, but not smart enough to remember something I’ve never seen.

You like ticking people off don’t you?

I’m smart, but not smart enough to remember something I’ve never seen.
Even if you had never seen the series, the story explains that he's playing the brother of an American character.

It's really very easy to comment on something after you've read it.